Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheely Stainless Grip Maintenance

Just ordered a Cheely Stainless L2.  It says “raw blasted finish with no coating” 

What does that mean for upkeep? will it start to get all crusty and rusty on me? 

I’ll very likely have it cerakoted eventually but, I wanna have some fun with it for a while first.  

What should I do to maintain it? 

Coat it ASAP. I installed it on my pistol and used a silicone cloth to wipe it down after every outing. Worked well for a little while but eventually it started to discolor (rust). I have the aggressive texture so that made it more difficult to maintain. Then I had it blasted and Cerakoted. If the texture is too aggressive, an extra layer of coating tones down the aggressiveness. 

1.  There are various grades of stainless steel.  Many can and will rust.  Some more than others.  Depends on the composition of the steel.  How much salt is in your sweat is also a big factor for something like a grip.

2.  I typically shoot my guns in the white for a while before finishing and use Birchwood Casey Barricade or Sea Foam Deep Creep to prevent rust during that time.  Both work extremely well.

3.  I wouldn't worry too much about superficial surface rust because whoever does the finishing will probably media blast the grip before they apply the finish anyway, and that will remove any rust.

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

It absolutely can rust.  Just not as easy as carbon steel.  Or at least that's what I've read on here.  

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

1.  There are various grades of stainless steel.  Many can and will rust.  Some more than others.  Depends on the composition of the steel.  How much salt is in your sweat is also a big factor for something like a grip.

2.  I typically shoot my guns in the white for a while before finishing and use Birchwood Casey Barricade or Sea Foam Deep Creep to prevent rust during that time.  Both work extremely well.

3.  I wouldn't worry too much about superficial surface rust because whoever does the finishing will probably media blast the grip before they apply the finish anyway, and that will remove any rust.

Yeah that’s hat I was thinking.  Yeah ve had a bunch of stainless parts go crusty on me.  I should probably just boat it right away then. I can do my cerakote so, it’s not a big issue.  Just didn’t wanna have to fool with all that.  

Well, my take is different.  I've had a straight from the factory Cheely e2 standard texture grip on my Open gun for three years.  I shoot it every Sat of the year.  Mostly USPSA, but some SCSA.  I shoot in the snow, rain, etc.  It has not rusted even a tiny bit.  I have never oiled it or put any rust preventative on it. 

Same with my backup gun.  However, that does not get shot as much.  Two or 3 USPSA matches just to give it some major exercise, and maybe 30 times a year shooting minor at plates, pins and action at local outlaw matches that do not permit major ammo.  No rust either.  I'll note that I bag the pistol after every stage.  So maybe that helps some.

@zzt Good to hear.  I was hoping that’s the case.  Better than finding out the expensive way.  Haha.  

I had a random stainless thumb and grip safety on an open gun that I couldn’t keep from rusting.  I ended up blasting them with some black cerakote and it hasn’t been an issue.  

id like to rock it stainless but, if it were to get crusty on me I’d be better off just coating right out the box.  

anyone else got any feedback? 

1 hour ago, scooterj said:

I have two Cheely stainless grips that are in the white. I have cleaned them with Simple Green and hot water and still no rust. I have found that Pro Grip will let rust form quicker. 

3D19E4AD-29DE-45B4-A446-5922553C004C.jpeg

Those are sick! 
Does the Cheely grip fit the STI block in a DAA Racemaster holster or do I need a different block insert? 

43 minutes ago, SufferInSilence said:

Those are sick! 
Does the Cheely grip fit the STI block in a DAA Racemaster holster or do I need a different block insert? 

SV metal grip insert

It absolutely can and will rust if you sweat and are a salty. Lol. The finer the bead blasting will help the grip not be as porous. 
 Install the grip, shoot it and see if any areas need to be relieved. Meaning if certain areas are harder on your hands than you’d like… address those.  Even if the grip has a little surface rust any coater will blast that off before coating. Even if you have the grip cerakoted it will look good and have excellent rust prevention.

Clean it and lightly oil after a practice session or match and you’ll cut down on any rust. 
   Also know if you have it DLC coated etc and neglect it it still can rust. I see it all to often. 

5 hours ago, donnyglock said:

It absolutely can and will rust if you sweat and are a salty. 

That exactly why I made this post.  Thanks. I have a house full of “stainless” stuff that has crust on it.  Wanted to verify if the grip had any magic to it.  Guess not.  I’ll probably just have it cerakoted a darker version of Tungsten.  

don't really wipe mine down and rust didn't form on the immediately visible surface, however, it would form in the areas when the beavertail, mainspring, and the area the magwell hides. Whether that's from other components and dripping in or something like that, I'm not sure, but it definitely stained after I removed the rust. Humidity gets up to the mid 80's here so that doesn't help either.

I was being sarcastic, but given the time frame that some are saying that their grips are “rusting” something isn’t right. The only time I’ve noticed rust is either from:

Poor/low quality SS.

Overheating of the parts or along welds.

Contamination on the surface that is actually rusting. I have stainless parts that have been outside for over 20 years and look fine. Would be interesting to know if your grips are magnetic or not. 

https://www.reliance-foundry.com/blog/does-stainless-steel-rust

Edited by Farmer
Spelling

1 hour ago, Farmer said:

I was being sarcastic, but given the time frame that some are saying that their grips are “rusting” something isn’t right. The only time I’ve noticed rust is either from:

Poor/low quality SS.

Overheating of the parts or along welds.

Contamination on the surface that is actually rusting. I have stainless parts that have been outside for over 20 years and look fine. Would be interesting to know if your grips are magnetic or not. 

https://www.reliance-foundry.com/blog/does-stainless-steel-rust

Well for me, I haven't taken out the mainspring housing or magwell for maybe a year an 3 months 😅

Got my Cheely L2 today.  I ordered their tactical stainless magwell to go with it.  

I noticed right off that the holes don’t exactly line up to mount it.  Is there extra fitting that needs to be done? 

Obviously the steel on steel combo isn’t going to flex so I don’t wanna bang away at it and ruin it.  
- Yes, the magwell is pushed as far back as possible.  

Any insight out there? 

5BE5E603-154C-4533-8FAF-60DF89ECD68C.jpeg