Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Open in New Jersey

Hello Gents and Ladies! I have a general question about those who have experience shooting open division in New Jersey. If you could please give me some tips about matches that would be awesome! I am moving there in the summer and it looks like I am going to have to purchase 10 round mags. Any sharing of experiences would be great! Thanks gang!

• 2 weeks later...

Old bridge does a good monthly match but it fills up really really fast..  MD is usually cool about letting you shoot if you on the wait list I’ve only shot once. But central jersey is another good one.. 

where about are you moving.  I’m in ststen island, And we have 2 matches monthly. April-December 

There's usually around 15 people in open at CJ and OB, couple less at Quinton. It's a healthy division here. It's a 7 year mandatory sentence for having 11 round magazines here but not a single person ever has gotten in trouble for having one. As far as shooting goes it's a great place to live because you have a lot of choices of a lot of matches every Saturday and Sunday. The winters kinda suck though if you don't like shooting in the cold. 

4 minutes ago, louu said:

There's usually around 15 people in open at CJ and OB, couple less at Quinton. It's a healthy division here. It's a 7 year mandatory sentence for having 11 round magazines here but not a single person ever has gotten in trouble for having one. As far as shooting goes it's a great place to live because you have a lot of choices of a lot of matches every Saturday and Sunday. The winters kinda suck though if you don't like shooting in the cold. 

You say that. But I shot three matches last month. Already got two for Feb.

Obviously I could thank the mild winter we’re having. But you could shoot every weekend and drive no further than an hour away from home.   I have 3 within 20 minutes 

Edited by Zachjet

Thanks for all the input gents! I am moving to McGuire and planning on getting 10 rounders for matches in NJ. Coming from North Dakota it will be great having a warmer winter and less snow. It sounds like lots of opportunities to shoot which is great! Just weird too I saw gun must be locked in a box when transporting anywhere. I will have to get used to that for sure. 

10 hours ago, war_material said:

Good to know about the trigger lock too! Yeahi definitely will shoot in PA.  I am going to be in a culture shock with the NJ gun laws coming from ND.  Just another game to play by the rules lol

Trigger lock isn't necessary.  Just lock it in the trunk and you are fine as per Q6.

Here is the state FAQ on firearms.

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 5:42 PM, vtecpaoche said:

Trigger lock isn't necessary.  Just lock it in the trunk and you are fine as per Q6.

Here is the state FAQ on firearms.

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

Thanks for the useful link!! Looks like I can use hollow points at ranges still so that’s good. Looks like there are no clauses or exemptions to hubcap mags for competition/range

20 hours ago, Zachjet said:

Check out mag blockers.  Hard plastic you can put in the springs to limit the followers

That’s awesome thanks! Quick question on epoxy, will I ever be able to make mags normal after using epoxy? Also it sucks if you want to clean the mag tube

1 minute ago, war_material said:

That’s awesome thanks! Quick question on epoxy, will I ever be able to make mags normal after using epoxy? Also it sucks if you want to clean the mag tube

You’ll notice at your first local match.  That no one runs any of these.  They just load to 10. 
Don’t take that as a suggestion.  Just something I’ve noticed. If I had any mags to block.  I probably wouldn’t glue em 

On 2/14/2023 at 8:20 AM, Zachjet said:

You’ll notice at your first local match.  That no one runs any of these.  They just load to 10. 
Don’t take that as a suggestion.  Just something I’ve noticed. If I had any mags to block.  I probably wouldn’t glue em 

Thanks for the observation! I am tracking. Definitely just needed a good insight and this helps a ton! 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, war_material said:

Just trying to get opinions here. Would I be better off selling my open gun and staying in Carry optics there with the 10 round limit and mainly shooting local matches

Really comes down to what you want to do.  Lots of people still shoot Open in NY/NJ (as well as CO, LTD, PCC, etc.) despite the magazine limitations so if you want to still play in that division you absolutely should.  Around me the vast majority of folks have moved to Carry Optics but I don't believe that has anything to do with the 10 round limit or just shooting locals.  

On 5/10/2023 at 4:04 PM, cjmill87 said:

Really comes down to what you want to do.  Lots of people still shoot Open in NY/NJ (as well as CO, LTD, PCC, etc.) despite the magazine limitations so if you want to still play in that division you absolutely should.  Around me the vast majority of folks have moved to Carry Optics but I don't believe that has anything to do with the 10 round limit or just shooting locals.  

Thanks for the insight! I am on the fence but leaning more towards keeping it and playing in open 10. Looking forward to the challenge!

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2023 at 9:10 PM, Wanna_Go_Fast said:

Shongum is another one to check out.  smaller match in north western NJ.   Registration for that match is on practiscore but Old Bridge and Central Jersey are on steelscoring.com

Sounds awesome! I am going to shoot open in NJ and CO. From what I have been reading I can use my HP loads according to the law since it’s at the range shooting targets. So my question is does everybody have to load 10 even if I am allowed to have 17 rounds in the magazine(LEO) in the match? Just wanted to see if the MDs allowed it but if not I get it for the sake of competition. 

In NJ competition...everyone starts with 10 in the magazine.  For USPSA, most matches allow you to load one in the chamber equating to 11 in the gun at start.  Thats 100% dependent on the stage though and some starts are unloaded gun of course.