Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More Stroke; Using a government slide on Commander-Railed Frame?

JoeyMac

If building a gun from scratch, don't you pretty much get a free 0.080"-0.100" extra slide travel by putting a government slide on a commander frame?

Yes, the commander-railed frame would need a long dustcover (which I think most do anyways)...  But it'd be a way to basically get more stroke for free using an off the shelf frame/slide without having to cut the spring tunnel and extend the slide rail cuts.  And this would still be true and doable whether it was a 4.25" short or 4.6" mid chopped-government slide, right?

Is there something I'm missing here, because I tried searching for this using a few search terms and can't find much.  

Edited by JoeyMac

You wouldn’t HAVE to if you tapered and rounded the nose of the FLGR just a bit.  It would still extend into the spring plug and be well constrained while in battery then easily be guided into the hole.  Wilson Combat does this on some of their guns; the guide rod is about 1/4” behind the actual hole it goes through.

EDCX9-DLC-Slide0381-copy.jpg

wilson-combat.jpg

But if you wanted a FLGR that sat all the way forward in the plug hole, then yes you need a longer than gov FLGR. But a 6” FLGR can be cut down easily enough.  You’d also want to chamfer and slot the top edge of the FLGR like a commander Guide rod for link/lug clearance.

brown-stain-comm.jpg

Edited by JoeyMac