Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People getting rid of PT Honcho ?

Murzikrv

Was browsing Classifieds section and notice that there are more than a few Honcho for sale with relatively low round count or almost new. More over those offers stay there for a while and seems like nobody jumping on the them. With all the noise created about that gun you think it would be different 

Wondering why ….

Edited by Murzikrv

I’m waiting for mine. Checked with other owners and they liked the gun. While waiting I seen a few posted for sale. The price I paid when they have sales were really close to what the used ones are going for. Thought of picking up a spare but the ones for sale were setup with barrels I won’t use. 

9 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

Customer. Service. 

They called me a liar once when I said my mate kept busting locking blocks. 

He hasn't been able to shoot that gun for months now. Don't buy one if you don't live in the USA. Lesson learned I think. 

They shoot well.  I personally hate the grip but that is just me.  Customer service is highly questionable.  The one girl you can find her on Facebook deflecting/blaming all problems on the shooter.  

Don't even get me started on the current prices or the non-availability of parts.

1 hour ago, dansedgli said:

They called me a liar once when I said my mate kept busting locking blocks. 

He hasn't been able to shoot that gun for months now. Don't buy one if you don't live in the USA. Lesson learned I think. 

It’s not much better in the USA. I assure you. 

Everything that can go wrong is 100% put on the owner… and it’s NEVER a defect in material or workmanship. They must be an absolute unicorn in the manufacturing world… ZERO DEFECTS!

Well, I can say on mine that I have up for sale - it wasn't any of those reasons. I had bought / built it to switch to Limited Major. But when Covid hit and reloading resources became so scarce, I stayed Carry Optics / 9mm because I'm so invested in 9mm and going .40 just didn't make sense. And still doesn't, so I'm staying 9mm. It just became a safe-queen I have no need for. I've barely shot it, and haven't had to interact with PT much after the original build other than getting an optics plate. But I've had no problems with them in the few times I've had to contact them.

To be fair, it's not just Honchos.  Lots of used open and limited guns are up for sale on a regular basis now.  That includes SV, Atlas and other brands.  Seems everyone is going full gamer mode and moving to CO.

Lots for sale on FB too although they may be the same people listing on here. I had one and it was meh/ok. Balance was weird and super heavy. The coating excuses and inaccurate lead time would make me never get one again. You had to run the locking block extremely wet and that caused oil to splash out constantly and the optic would be a mess after one stage. Huge turn off. 

As someone looking to get into Open, I looked at the Honcho heavily. Still look at it honestly because the sale price seems to be very reasonable. My buddy has one that he is going to let me shoot to see how I like it once we can match our schedules. I will say, for me, the proprietary parts somewhat make me nervous. Not sure how much that would exactly effect anything but it's a consideration of mine. Which is why I haven't jumped on one just yet. 

I’m getting into open after shooting CO since I started USPSA (3 years now). 

I did a lot of research and considered the honcho.

I didn’t go with a Honcho due to the price and wait time/customer experiences that are reported. I’m the kind that picks one division and sticks with it so didn’t really care about the multiple division capable gun (it is cool tho). 
full disclosure, I did shoot a honcho and it was great. 

i ended up going with a local builder for a few reasons: 

1) He’s local to me. 
2) got to see a lot of people run his guns at many matches with no problems at all. shot 4 different ones and loved them. 
3) I can, and do, text him and he replies within minutes. 
4) awesome price for a custom gun 

3 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Seems everyone is going full gamer mode and moving to CO.

Seems like they could just take off the compensators and screw the dot to the slide... if LO flies.

I was active back when there was such a thing as an iron sight single stack comp gun.

Mine were downconverted to IDPA CDP and ESP; I got a STI for Limited.

The local Honcho honcho says his has been back only once.  I don't know the flaw.

8 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

The local Honcho honcho says his has been back only once.  I don't know the flaw.

Well, it shouldn't have to go back at all.  And with the new shipping restrictions, you have to have an FFL ship it for you, at a cost of prob $100 each way if you want it insured for the full value.  Not something most people want to deal with.

Lots of companies provide return tickets for warranty calls, I don't know if Honcho does or not.

Either way, it is just revenue for Fedups and lost time and confidence for the owner.  

I once read an entirely serious post 

"A good gun should only have to go back to the factory twice to get it working".

Edited by Jim Watson

If I recall correctly, there was a thread on here where a Honcho owner was complaining because not only did he have to pay shipping both ways to send his broken gun back for repairs, but they wanted to charge him extra to test fire it after they fixed it.  That kinda stuff does not make for happy customers.

2 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

If I recall correctly, there was a thread on here where a Honcho owner was complaining because not only did he have to pay shipping both ways to send his broken gun back for repairs, but they wanted to charge him extra to test fire it after they fixed it.  That kinda stuff does not make for happy customers.

Ugh 

Hello I am a IPSC shooter from the Netherlands

I have my Honcho for almost 2 years now and I think I am the only one In Europe as far as I can tell

Tiffany did a great job helping me with ordering and helping me with all the details and questions I had

I always read the Brain Enos forum it is a great way to keep myself informed about IPSC and pistols

I never given a responce on the good and bad reviews that I have been reading but I think it is time to tell afther almost 2 years

So my PT Honcho is a pistol with great accuracy and the slide to frame fit is the best I ever had or have seen before (exactly what I like and want)

What can I say it is a great pistol I shoot 9major and I shoot all the matches I can with it

The pistol never but also never let me down it is shooting beyond perfect belief me it got me to Dutch Open Champion last year

I have been reading al kinds of stories the last two years but again I never had one issue with it

It is easy to talk about something most never have experienced but from my side and have experienced with the Honcho it is just a great pistol

I hope to shoot many more matches with my PT Honcho....

Thanks to Phoenix Trinity

Edited by smoker 01

2 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Seems like they could just take off the compensators and screw the dot to the slide... if LO flies.

I was active back when there was such a thing as an iron sight single stack comp gun.

Mine were downconverted to IDPA CDP and ESP; I got a STI for Limited.

The comp cannot be removed. It is not threaded on. It's a machined part of the barrel itself. However, they did/do sell a separate non-comp sight block barrel that could be used for that new Limited Optics division.

As for people selling Honchos, I wouldn't read too much into it. People sell all kinds of things. Honchos, SVIs, Atlas guns, etc.... and many guns have problems. Not downplaying the issue of broken locking blocks though. It hasn't happened to me, but I can't say how often it occurs. I don't know how many people it has happened to.

I will say that I am disappointed in the huge price increase of the Honcho over the past 2-3 years. When I bought the gun I got several barrels with it for $4500 total, and now the same gun is selling for $7500-$8000. I originally bought it not only because it seemed innovative, but because it provided great value. However, now it's just as expensive, if not even more expensive than, the SVI and Atlas guns it's competing against. I would be very hesitant to spend that kind of money on one now. However, I wouldn't be hesitant to buy one used for a good price if it looked to be in good condition.

They appear to be more focused on the HTAC/HDUTY guns right now. Trying to get the name out there outside of the competition world and in front of people who would otherwise be buying Staccato guns. The HTAC/HDUTY looks quality, and I'm sure they shoot great, but you can tell they are also designed to be more profitable. The gun itself is coated with cerakote instead of DLC, the barrel is not coated at all, the grip is just smooth + grip tape, etc., and the gun is selling close to (maybe a little less than) what the Honcho originally went for a few years ago.

I can't spend five minutes at a match without hearing constant Honcho horror stories from friends, former owners and complete strangers. Then we get to the CS. I've seen screenshots of how that goes. Wouldn't give the company a penny just based on that. 

Having shot one, they are very nice. And very oily. And in the hands of many shooters, very prone to doubling.

17 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

And very oily

There was a post here a while back stating someone was oiling their honcho between stages. That seems insane to me. To remove the racker, tear down, oil, reassemble. Too much work. Plus I torque everything so that would just be more tools to bring. 

3 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

They appear to be more focused on the HTAC/HDUTY guns right now.

They look very nice and I would bet awesome to shoot. But that price tag is just wild. Not saying it is or isn’t worth it, just really hard to justify.