Your First USPSA Match

BritinUSA

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Sandvol said:

New member. New to USPSA steel challenge. Question for board. Joined USPSA in July and my scores are showing up in practiscore but not at USPSA.org. So not classified yet. Seem to get no help from USPSA. How do I fix? thanks

Talk to your match director of the matches. He has to submit them. Sounds like maybe he isn’t?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Something we started doing at our range is offering an "intro to USPSA" class that is led by some of our sponsored shooters. I wish I would have had something like that before going to my first match years ago. Reading articles and youtube are one thing, but having in person instruction is better in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Going into your first match, the only thing you should be worried about is keeping all the safety rules and not getting DQ'ed. Doesn't matter if you walk away dead last with 50 Mike's, it was win if you finished the match. 

That was my goal in my first match and what I tell new shooters every time they ask me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 8:54 PM, Nobody909 said:

Going into your first match, the only thing you should be worried about is keeping all the safety rules and not getting DQ'ed. Doesn't matter if you walk away dead last with 50 Mike's, it was win if you finished the match. 

That was my goal in my first match and what I tell new shooters every time they ask me.

This was me too lol. Took it slow and sucked bad but didn’t do anything unsafe or dumb

On 5/16/2023 at 1:31 PM, Alpha_Mike said:

Something we started doing at our range is offering an "intro to USPSA" class that is led by some of our sponsored shooters. I wish I would have had something like that before going to my first match years ago. Reading articles and youtube are one thing, but having in person instruction is better in my opinion.

This was how I got started: my local indoor range hosts a variety of different handgun classes from absolute beginner to concealed carry/defensive.  Along the way, you have the opportunity to "qualify" to take the higher level course (or be vouched for by an instructor). 

They offer an Introduction to Competitive Action Shooting Course.  The course gives a 3-hour classroom overview of competition handgun shooting, from the very basic to the different discipline rule sets to dry-fire exercises to familiarize students with range commands and gun handling in relation to those commands.  Then, another 3-hours of live-fire activities out on their indoor range.  Generally, students get to run a few stages, of both IDPA and USPSA-type set-ups.  The course is run by competitive IDPA and USPSA  shooters.  

I was absolutely hooked after that class!  Plus, I felt that the introduction and hands-on experiences gave me a bit more comfort with the range commands and whatnot having never done more than just stand and shoot prior to taking the class.  (Actually, before that class, I had never anticipated ever trying my hand at competition shooting in any capacity.)  Now, I'm several competitions in, several guns purchased, several private coaching sessions completed, and avidly looking forward to many years of enjoyment in the future!

I read as much as I could before my first competition, including on this forum, but having the class was a huge bonus!  And, yes...my goals were to have fun, stay safe, and avoid disqualifying.  I think I was too nervous to say I had fun at my first competition, but I did stay safe and did not DQ, so success.

On 6/26/2023 at 9:54 PM, Nobody909 said:

It would also help to be aware who is new to a match and give them basic run down before they get up to the start. Had a buddy arrive at his first USPSA match. Seasoned shooter, been shooting at indoor ranges for a long time. Proficient, safe, overall good guy. He got to the line when it was his turn and he unholstered to sight in and got DQed because no one told him to wait for the "Load and make ready". He took it in good spirits but we felt bad for the guy. He never made that mistake again.

• 5 months later...