Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your First USPSA Match

BritinUSA

My first match went ok. I didn't quite have the right gear. While I had the correct pistol, holster and mag pouches I had the improper recoil spring assembly in my glock 17 which supplied me with a couple stove pipes on my WWB (Winchester White Box) ammo. Between that and shooting super slow, and ejection issues I scored in the 40% range lol. Wasn't a bad result, a year later I have my gear dialed in and looking forward to finishing my EMT training so my Saturdays are free again for competitions with the new glock 34.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot the South Carolina sectionals on Saturday and I'm hooked. The day started out a little wet, but ended beautifully. The set-up, stages, R.O's and other shooters were great. I shot like crap but walked away with a random prize. So I did win something my first time out. I'm officially hooked, & can't wait for the next one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Another help for me before I went to my first USPSA match was a video podcast, the Power Factor Show. It has been coming out every week for a couple of years now. It really helped explain the basics, and the video made it easy to see what they were talking about. I download the podcast, but you can watch on youtube as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, so I live in Ohio and have been shooting for years both, for the military and for fun. I have been looking everywhere to try to find where the nearest USPSA match is and I am not able to find any in Ohio. Is there not shoots in every state? or am I just not finding them somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going crazy setting up shoots and practicing in my back yard, I want a real competition! Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello, so I live in Ohio and have been shooting for years both, for the military and for fun. I have been looking everywhere to try to find where the nearest USPSA match is and I am not able to find any in Ohio. Is there not shoots in every state? or am I just not finding them somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going crazy setting up shoots and practicing in my back yard, I want a real competition! Thanks

You started at the end of the season so most are done for the year but there are something like 7 or 8 matches in Ohio, We go to 2 KY matches on a regular basis because they are so good.. Most are outside and done for the year. I am shooting an indoor match in Canal Fulton Saturday kinda like the Akron area. You will see a outdoor match pop up when it's unseasonably warm so keep an eye on "Match Announcments" here on benos.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody new poster here! My first match was last month at the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club in Oregon. I was shooting fairly well, but made several mistakes that I shouldn't have, had a few malfunctions, and had a great time. Next one will be this weekend, lets hope I do better than last time!

You have to practice a lot and get fundamental down before first match..... Not that I am discouraging anyone but it is sometimes scary with new shooters that CHOOSE not to practice with a USPSA group before showing up to their first match....

EDIT:

- Also, for first match, just take your time and get the accuracy.... Speed will come later....

Edited by mag17

You have to practice a lot and get fundamental down before first match..... Not that I am discouraging anyone but it is sometimes scary with new shooters that CHOOSE not to practice with a USPSA group before showing up to their first match....

EDIT:

- Also, for first match, just take your time and get the accuracy.... Speed will come later....

Just show up. Announce you are new and someone will take are of you. Most match directors will ask if there are new shooters, raise your hand.

Welcome aboard.

I shot mostly Alphas, generally within a couple seconds of the top time in my squad. And yet I continually was scoring very very poorly, which I don't really understand. My guess is that I was taking too much time on the hoser stages and making the critical mistakes on the more mental/memory stages. Any tips? How do you determine if you are gonna shoot a stage really fast and take some C's or slow down and make sure you get your hits?

• 3 months later...

Another help for me before I went to my first USPSA match was a video podcast, the Power Factor Show. It has been coming out every week for a couple of years now. It really helped explain the basics, and the video made it easy to see what they were talking about. I download the podcast, but you can watch on youtube as well.

+1 here, I learned alot from those guys. Highly reccomend for beginners in either IDPA or USPSA

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My first USPSA match was a sectional. I learned about chrono, bullet velocity, bullet weight and barrel length. I didn't make minor at chrono. Went out and bought a longer barrel gun and heavier bullet weight ammo.