Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Current most effective brake? (Titan Extreme vs Apollo Max vs Hypertap)

DukeNiemand

Hi folks,

I'm curious if anyone has had side by side experience with the new crop of reportedly most effective 223 comps.

I currently have a Hypertap and an original SJC Titan, and have been considering upgrading to a Titan Extreme or Apollo Max, but haven't yet found any info that compares the two.

Of course, would be also happy to hear about any other brake you think should also be considered.

Cheers.

Edited by DukeNiemand

3 hours ago, frankge said:

UM Tactical breaks works great and adjustable, expensive, but I won it at a prize table.

Hmm that one looks very interesting. Not sure if it would be as effective as the popular 3 gun brakes (ports look relatively small) but the modular design is impressive.

No experience with the new Titan. Own the Hypertap and Apollo Max, prefer the Hypertap. Smaller, slightly less recoil, tunable and way less blast.

But I also have the Unrivaled brake. Very tunable and right with the Hypertap in recoil reduction and blast, but way bigger/heavier.

All of the above are more effective than the last generation brakes, of which I have many, but only if you have a keen sense for such things. 99% of shooters I hand my rifles to can't tell any difference.

The M4-72's rate very high in effectiveness, but it's also the only brake I've taken out of service and probably won't ever use again. And I'm not blast sensitive, it's just that horrible.

58 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

No experience with the new Titan. Own the Hypertap and Apollo Max, prefer the Hypertap. Smaller, slightly less recoil, tunable and way less blast.

But I also have the Unrivaled brake. Very tunable and right with the Hypertap in recoil reduction and blast, but way bigger/heavier.

All of the above are more effective than the last generation brakes, of which I have many, but only if you have a keen sense for such things. 99% of shooters I hand my rifles to can't tell any difference.

The M4-72's rate very high in effectiveness, but it's also the only brake I've taken out of service and probably won't ever use again. And I'm not blast sensitive, it's just that horrible.

Thanks for the info! That's kind of surprising to hear that the Hypertap is more effective at reducing recoil than the Apollo Max, despite the latter being much larger profile. Testament to the Hypertap's design I guess.

On 1/6/2023 at 3:36 PM, DukeNiemand said:

Thanks for the info! That's kind of surprising to hear that the Hypertap is more effective at reducing recoil than the Apollo Max, despite the latter being much larger profile. Testament to the Hypertap's design I guess.

Yeah, kinda surprising, but the more brakes I test the more I think a bowl shaped baffle surface is more effective at capturing gasses than the aggressively back-angled but flat baffle surfaces of brakes like the Apollo.

Of the rear gassing brakes Ive tried, the Hypertap is good. I stick to my JP comp for my game gun though. I am not a fan of the distracting concussive nature of the Hypertap. Side by side I can tell no difference in shooting performance, but I need to blow my nose after shooting the Hypertap. 

7 hours ago, mpeltier said:

Of the rear gassing brakes Ive tried, the Hypertap is good. I stick to my JP comp for my game gun though. I am not a fan of the distracting concussive nature of the Hypertap. Side by side I can tell no difference in shooting performance, but I need to blow my nose after shooting the Hypertap. 

Just goes to show our setups, techniques and bodies are all different. I find the Hypertap to be minimally conclusive, even compared to flat baffled brakes.

37 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Just goes to show our setups, techniques and bodies are all different. I find the Hypertap to be minimally conclusive, even compared to flat baffled brakes.

Yeah, minimally concussive is a big window. I suppose it's just a matter of how much you're willing to put up with. Set up, technique and bodies aside, the Hypertap will clear ammo boxes and spent cases off the bench. (I can only imagine RO'ing for someone shooting one) My JP has never done that and going back and forth with the same gun and the two muzzle devices has shown no advantage in my case. So I choose the JP for my game gun and leave the Hypertap to other guns. I actually have 3 of each on different rifles/carbines. I have tried others and it's the only rear blasting comp I've decided to keep. Just not on my 3-gun rifle. A friend of mine has the area 419 break on his AR. Its kinda in between. Almost as much blast as the Hypertap.

Edited to add:

And just yesterday we were doing some sight in work here at my range. My son took a few shots (Hypertap) and something flew right by my face. I was about 4 ft behind him to the right. I looked around and didn't see anything. Thought it was my imagination. when we were packing up I went to re install my turret caps on my Razor and one was MIA.........oh crap, that's what flew in front of my face. Found it about 15 ft away. Lol

Edited by mpeltier

I suppose I should clarify when I say "no concussion" I mean no concussion to the shooter. I don't really care what happens to the side of me. 

Although the Hypertap is quite a bit less awful when shooting inside tunnels and next to walls and such than the Apollo also.

On 1/6/2023 at 1:00 PM, DukeNiemand said:

Hmm that one looks very interesting. Not sure if it would be as effective as the popular 3 gun brakes (ports look relatively small) but the modular design is impressive.

mine is with a carbine gas system and adjustable block - shoots pretty flat and tame. Great fireballs with H335.

Angled is always more effective. Lots of people like their straight baffle brakes but they haven't objectively tested them against these new designs. I have tried about a dozen I really like the hypertap. Also check out the apa answer it's also very good and comes with the top ports tapped with screws which I love 

21 hours ago, inertia said:

Also check out the apa answer it's also very good and comes with the top ports tapped with screws which I love 

On my first Hypertap I drilled the holes out and tapped them for plugs, effectively copying the Answer design. I wanted to be able to test and reverse any changes I made. My next Hypertap I just drilled them out since I knew what I wanted at that point.

On 1/5/2023 at 11:29 PM, DukeNiemand said:

Thanks. Looks like they don't sell their 3 gun brakes anymore unfortunately.

This is the one I tried and like it.  used it in the last match and it was solid: https://www.hiperfire.com/product/hipercomp-556c/

this is the video where they refer to their previous brakes and how they tested.  Granted that it's marketing ... but it's interesting to see the other comps (towards the end of the video). 

Even if you discount the obvious bias, I think it's interesting to look at the results of each brake on the chart to see the relative recoil mitigation.  Their test was very similar to the TTAG Muzzle device shootout done a few years back (https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/556-muzzle-device-shootout/)

Edited by emjbe

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 9:51 PM, emjbe said:

This is the one I tried and like it.  used it in the last match and it was solid: https://www.hiperfire.com/product/hipercomp-556c/

this is the video where they refer to their previous brakes and how they tested.  Granted that it's marketing ... but it's interesting to see the other comps (towards the end of the video). 

Even if you discount the obvious bias, I think it's interesting to look at the results of each brake on the chart to see the relative recoil mitigation.  Their test was very similar to the TTAG Muzzle device shootout done a few years back (https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/556-muzzle-device-shootout/)

Keep in mind that today none of these brakes would be in the top 5 against the most modern designs like hypertap, answer, appolo, new sjc etc. On the same tests. But the consumer wins because these types of tests pushed a lot of innovation in just the last few years. Remember everyone loves their brake (trigger, barrel, scope etc.) if it's the first nice one they have had. But there are a few of us on here who have spent litteral fortunes tying all of it because its fun and we can. That comparative info is what you need.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:28 PM, inertia said:

Keep in mind that today none of these brakes would be in the top 5 against the most modern designs like hypertap, answer, appolo, new sjc etc. On the same tests. But the consumer wins because these types of tests pushed a lot of innovation in just the last few years. Remember everyone loves their brake (trigger, barrel, scope etc.) if it's the first nice one they have had. But there are a few of us on here who have spent litteral fortunes tying all of it because its fun and we can. That comparative info is what you need.

I like the scientific tests mostly as a way to help direct that small fortune ... I've got a box full of disappointing brakes also :-).  

For me the comparison point that is missing is accuracy. My favorite competition brake right now is actually not on the list - it's the EC Tuner brake.  It's in my top 5% for recoil mitigation (even though it's a 6.5mm) and gives me the capability to tune the barrel. It's overkill for 3gun but adds just a little bit of confidence to speed up target transitions. And it's not obnoxiously loud.

On 1/3/2023 at 11:11 PM, DukeNiemand said:

Hi folks,

JP Recoil Eliminator is still the most effective. 2/3 of Open seems to be that brake. 

For 1"x3" rule divisions I like the 3 JP 3 port. Very effective without the borderline brain damaging concussion on some brakes nowadays. 

I've always had good luck with the J.P. comp, but haven't tried their 3 port comp. I would suspect it is a great comp. I will probably pick one up as my original design comp is just about chewed out. 

2 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

JP Recoil Eliminator is still the most effective. 2/3 of Open seems to be that brake. 

For 1"x3" rule divisions I like the 3 JP 3 port. Very effective without the borderline brain damaging concussion on some brakes nowadays. 

There are a number of breaks that have been shown to be more effective than the eliminator in controlled testing - SJC Titan, and PA M4-72. Newer designs like the Hypertap or Apollo Max should be even more effective.