Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics in L10

motosapiens

Jay, my eyesight is the only reason I would and do prefer the optic sights.... (All my other competition guns have "red dots). In my case, I can't clearly see rear sight while the front sight is more visible ( the HI VIS rear insert has helped a lot).  You and I know that the Ruger GP 100's are rare. In the Ruger revolver world, even having one is uncommon. At least, in ICORE there is a class for the optic, not so in USPSA unless you go to open class where there is a huge disadvantage . In the "Super Super Senior Class world " (Are you listening USPSA?). I'd probably have 2 each Ruger 8 shots, one for each configuration if any more ever appear as rummer's go?... 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

The proposal is for slide mounted optics.   If it’s frame mounted that would be open. 

The USPSA survey asked for opinions on frame mounted optics in LO, although I'd bet it will come down on not for LO just because.

From playing with frame mounts vs slide mounts on the same gun, the frame mount dot bounces less, but on the clock the speed is no different.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:39 AM, pskys2 said:

Anything over 700 f/s and 185 bullet won't give one that trouble.  I've seen ppc loads that wouldn't get through clean cardboard though.

If it cycles the action, it will be good to go in SC.

I think it will create a significant gap between optic sighted L10 guns versus iron sighted L10 guns and push anyone who is "serious" about L10 (lol) to have to get their slide cut for an optic to keep up. I don't know what the right thing to do for single stack guns with optics is though. I don't like the trend that USPSA is going towards, where we have lots and lots of divisions like Steel Challenge does, but I don't have any better proposals. They wouldn't be viable in Limited Optics, so I guess LO10? ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

L10 is for legally restricted areas such as CA. I started shooting L10 because I had a Limited gun in the safe and it came with castrated magazines, so L10 it was. Once we have magazine restrictions removed by courts (coming up *very* soon, we in restricted states follow these legal cases), L10 needs to go, not to be revamped into yet another red-haired stepchild. 

Outside restricted states, L10 makes no sense. A proper Limited gun with restricted magazines just for fun? A 1911 that uses abominations of "thin and long" magazines to pretend to be some "high capacity single stack"? No, just no! Let the courts strike down magazine capacities nationwide, then retire L10 as it's no longer needed. 

On 12/30/2022 at 11:41 AM, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

I have an idpa CO gun that I built earlier this year that would be perfect for limited 10 optics.   I’m all for it.    It’s a blast in idpa and I have shot some uspsa with it during this off season.  I’d definitely play in some lim10 optics.  

ECD820AA-6B4A-4B65-A2B3-FF49C028AAE1.jpeg

That looks great. Who did the slide milling on that 1911?

11 minutes ago, BadShot said:

Slight thread drift here.  With the changes to L10 and the addition of LO, would you invest any money in a gun for either of these divisions?  Sounds like there could some tweaking of the rules for a while.

Not as long as they’re under a provisional status but I would run what I already have..

25 minutes ago, BadShot said:

With the changes to L10 and the addition of LO, would you invest any money in a gun for either of these divisions? 

Already did. Bought a double stack Rock Island. Not milling my 2011 until the division is permanent. If that doesn't happen, I can always sell it to one of them idpa guys. They'll buy /shoot anything. :)

39 minutes ago, BadShot said:

Slight thread drift here.  With the changes to L10 and the addition of LO, would you invest any money in a gun for either of these divisions?  Sounds like there could some tweaking of the rules for a while.

I had a feeling this was going to happen, so I bought a Springfield prodigy before it was even officially kind of announced, just for this division.

If there's no provisional division, I'll just shoot that gun in open minor and have fun, or I will shoot it in limited m i nor and have fun.

If the provisional division happens like they have it listed, I don't see much changes happening to it when it becomes an actual division. About the only thing that I could see maybe happen was just allowing 170s, but I really doubt it.

11 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

if i were king, 170 for minor, 140 for major.

I don't hate this idea, assuming it still took 40 cal to make major

Edited by RJH

22 hours ago, BadShot said:

I started setting up a gun last summer, figuring I'd be shooting open minor for a bit but at some point this would happen. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BadShot said:

Did the minutes from the board even mention changes to L10?

Maybe I skimmed too quickly but as far as I can tell the minutes did not go into any detail on any of the equipment related proposals.

They only mentioned "limited optics" very briefly and briefly addressed production capacity.

And there was no indication of any decisions being made by any particular point in time.

They basically said "we will continue to look into all this stuff as time goes by"

So a great big bunch of nothing.