Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics in L10

motosapiens

What do you think? To me, it seems like a GREAT idea. Here is my reasoning:

1. L10 is currently stupid and no one shoots it except hiders, doofuses, and a few people with service 40's and 45's, and old timers with 1911's who want more than 8 rounds, so no one will really get too butthurt if we make changes.

2. lots of people carry guns optics now. many people own 1911's with optics. Many many people own 1911's and would consider putting on optic on one if there were a real shooting sport where they could compete.

3. Since only hiders and doofuses shoot the division, you won't be at a serious disadvantage if you still shoot it with iron sights.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a guy who shoots some l10 occasionally with my 1911, I don't give a s*** if they let dots in or not, and would be perfectly fine with them doing so

The only thing I really wish is that they would make 8 major 10 minor. And that is as a guy who when I shoot l10 I always shoot major. The only division that major and minor power factor differences are interesting is in single stack. I wish they would carry that to all low-cap divisions. 

But yeah, some dots in l10 seems all right to me

Yes. If they alllowed optics but not require an optic. My primary division has been SS  and some Limited, both major. But obviously not many are shooting SS. I finally am getting a CZ milled to give Carry Optics a go. If they allow SAO or offer the Limited Optics I have a couple of SAO CZs that I could set up as well.

There has been previous talk about 8 major, 10 minor Limited 10.  I have shot my SS a couple of times in L10.  L10 would be a place to allow optics with the option of shooting irons. It's never going to be a big division anyway. If I end up really loving the optic I could put one on my 1911.

4 minutes ago, MHicks said:

Yes. If they alllowed optics but not require an optic. My primary division has been SS  and some Limited, both major. But obviously not many are shooting SS. I finally am getting a CZ milled to give Carry Optics a go. If they allow SAO or offer the Limited Optics I have a couple of SAO CZs that I could set up as well.

There has been previous talk about 8 major, 10 minor Limited 10.  I have shot my SS a couple of times in L10.  L10 would be a place to allow optics with the option of shooting irons. It's never going to be a big division anyway. If I end up really loving the optic I could put one on my 1911.

Those of us who are heavily invested in the sport, and for me it's revolver no less, we tend to forget the majority aren't willing or able to spend bucks on the latest equipment.  Yet they still enjoy competition.

It's a balancing act for any organization.

I don't terribly mind the idea of 8 major/10 minor, but I also wouldn't mind the idea of leaving it at 10 rounds, but scoring ALL optics as minor. Seems like that would even out the playing field considerably. That would probably change what gun I would use to shoot it tho, and it would probably encourage alot of compact carry guns instead of just 1911's.

I've already witnessed how competitive a compact carry gun with a dot can be in IDPA (not that 'competitive' means that much in IDPA).

32 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I don't terribly mind the idea of 8 major/10 minor, but I also wouldn't mind the idea of leaving it at 10 rounds, but scoring ALL optics as minor. Seems like that would even out the playing field considerably. That would probably change what gun I would use to shoot it tho, and it would probably encourage alot of compact carry guns instead of just 1911's.

I've already witnessed how competitive a compact carry gun with a dot can be in IDPA (not that 'competitive' means that much in IDPA).

I don't hate that idea, a slide ride 1911 in 9 mil would be pretty slick

2 minutes ago, MHicks said:

I only have 45acp 1911s. If all optics in limited 10 were scored minor I wonder how much difference loading some maybe 145-150 pf loads would make, assuming the gun ran reliably?

Spring swap, 185 grain bullets going slow, should be pretty nice. 

3 hours ago, MHicks said:

I only have 45acp 1911s. If all optics in limited 10 were scored minor I wonder how much difference loading some maybe 145-150 pf loads would make, assuming the gun ran reliably?

I run a 135pf 45 load, or less, in sc and once set up it runs 100%.

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

I run a 135pf 45 load, or less, in sc and once set up it runs 100%.

Back in my IDPA days I SO'd a 645 guy,,, I could watch his bullets going down range..
Recall a big argument about scoring a target with a bullet stuck in the cardboard. Target was on a plastic barrel

I've shot an embarrassing amount of L10 over the years; I've found oddball guns that would be "perfect" if only I made this little tweak. That tweak made them illegal for Production. So, a fair amount of L10. 

My newly discovered cataracts might be making me a dot guy, so L10 with a dot just might be weird enough for me to shoot it. 

Re: benefiting the org, or whether there's a need for it.......color me confused. 

L10 just needs to die. 

or better yet combined with production and SS. 

Adding optics to it will do absolutely nothing to the participation. 

Edited by HCH

12 hours ago, HCH said:

L10 just needs to die. 

or better yet combined with production and SS. 

Adding optics to it will do absolutely nothing to the participation. 

if you don't shoot the division, why would you care in the slightest?

16 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Back in my IDPA days I SO'd a 645 guy,,, I could watch his bullets going down range..
Recall a big argument about scoring a target with a bullet stuck in the cardboard. Target was on a plastic barrel

Anything over 700 f/s and 185 bullet won't give one that trouble.  I've seen ppc loads that wouldn't get through clean cardboard though.

12 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Anything over 700 f/s and 185 bullet won't give one that trouble.  I've seen ppc loads that wouldn't get through clean cardboard though.

IRC guy was 230' grain copper plated,,, You could see them standing behind him with a timer.. we all gave him heck about it, but he stated he was making 125 pf..

1 hour ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

I have an idpa CO gun that I built earlier this year that would be perfect for limited 10 optics.   I’m all for it.    It’s a blast in idpa and I have shot some uspsa with it during this off season.  I’d definitely play in some lim10 optics.  

ECD820AA-6B4A-4B65-A2B3-FF49C028AAE1.jpeg

Nice stable of blasters.

Wasn't the proposal for frame mounted optics? I'm a dedicated limited shooter and have been taking it to it's conclusion in the 2022-2023 season as I have recently made A. My.plan was to make A, shoot a few majors, and then eventually journey to open.

But repurposing the TSO with a slide racker, frame mounted optic, and bunny fart 40 cal loads seems like a blast. That, or shooting the Smith R8 with dot could be a hell of a time. It's like USPSA throwback or something. Enjoying this potential shakeup. Could be great to liven up the stagnation.

3 minutes ago, Guitarmageddon said:

Wasn't the proposal for frame mounted optics? I'm a dedicated limited shooter and have been taking it to it's conclusion in the 2022-2023 season as I have recently made A. My.plan was to make A, shoot a few majors, and then eventually journey to open.

But repurposing the TSO with a slide racker, frame mounted optic, and bunny fart 40 cal loads seems like a blast. That, or shooting the Smith R8 with dot could be a hell of a time. It's like USPSA throwback or something. Enjoying this potential shakeup. Could be great to liven up the stagnation.

The proposal is for slide mounted optics.   If it’s frame mounted that would be open. 

1 hour ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

The proposal is for slide mounted optics.   If it’s frame mounted that would be open. 

The L10 change would permit frame-mounted optics, actually. The proposal is 'change appendix D3, item 13 from "no" to "yes", and D3.13 at present says "Optical/electronic sights permitted: No". No mention of slide mount.