Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Optics

Rich406

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GigG said:

Just a thought and tell me if I am wrong.

It would make sense to allow frame mounted optics in a new LO class because there are a lot of folks with Limited guns that don't have optic cuts and it is cheaper to add a frame mount. Also a frame mount would allow the gun to be used in Limited by removing the mount.

LOL. 

16 hours ago, GigG said:

Just a thought and tell me if I am wrong.

It would make sense to allow frame mounted optics in a new LO class because there are a lot of folks with Limited guns that don't have optic cuts and it is cheaper to add a frame mount. Also a frame mount would allow the gun to be used in Limited by removing the mount.

Probably depends, I'd guess you'll pay someone 50-60 bucks to drill and tap your frame. If you don't have someone local you trust you spend more than that on shipping your frame. And you'll have 75-80 in the mount. You might be able to get your slide milled for less. Or get a egw dovetail style mount for way less. 

17 hours ago, motosapiens said:

haha, then the atlas/prodigy/staccato tactards would cry because they can't be competitive in in lim optics major with their 9mm guns.

the whole point of this exercise is to create a division (or change an existing division) so that a handful of people who bought 9mm 2011's can use them in a division where they will offer a competitive advantage over everything else.

You’re forgetting most of them have 4 popple holes and comps already. They’re in for a treat when they try to sign up for LO and they’re bumped to open anyways.

37 minutes ago, touji said:

You’re forgetting most of them have 4 popple holes and comps already. They’re in for a treat when they try to sign up for LO and they’re bumped to open anyways.

I've wondered if this would be the next thing or not. Lots of people are on social media are posting picks of their new carry comps and ports. And now IDPA has allowed them into like half their divisions.

Will the case be made that it's fine to add ports to a minor only division because it wont make much difference? I don't know, but certainly once we make this change we'll start debating the next big shake up. 

On 1/23/2023 at 8:56 AM, Rich406 said:

I still remember the first year I shot CO, 2018. I had to send back 12 DPP in one season.  I actually had 3 spares at one point. The DPP had been redesigned and supposedly has much less problems now, but I still wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Since then dots have gotten much more reliable, but you're right, they aren't there yet. But I think they will be at some point. There is at least 4 new competition focused red dots being released this year. Hopefully at least one of them takes the next step.

Perhaps those opposed to allowing major pf in LO have nothing to worry about.  If all steel 9mm minor guns are killing dots, do they even have a chance of survival bolted to the lightened slide of a major pf gun running a 10lb recoil spring? 

9 hours ago, StanJ said:

Perhaps those opposed to allowing major pf in LO have nothing to worry about.  If all steel 9mm minor guns are killing dots, do they even have a chance of survival bolted to the lightened slide of a major pf gun running a 10lb recoil spring? 

I had a RTS2 on a open gun for a while worked well. It was a earlier version. I wanted to shoot a IDPA match in CO so I put a EWP plate on my limited gun. With in 300 rounds the lens came out. And this was a pretty tame like 140 PF minor load I think. With a 19 lbs hammer spring and a 11-12 lbs recoil spring. 

40 Major at high round counts with light recoil springs is going to be hell on optics. Personally I'm hoping the new division is minor only. No reason these days to make it major. Everyone that's been asking for it is talking about 9mm SAO guns. 

1 hour ago, konkapot said:

How long does it normally take to post BoD minutes?

The time taken is directly proportional to the amount of bad news it contains. This one may contain some details on the Practiscore privacy issue as well as the colossal deficit that the org is running.

Anybody else is getting a feeling that this is turning into another leadership failure, with another demonstration of board's inability to understand what accountability and transparency mean to the membership?

1 minute ago, YVK said:

Anybody else is getting a feeling that this is turning into another leadership failure, with another demonstration of board's inability to understand what accountability and transparency mean to the membership?

Potentially, yes. I have enough politics at work, don't need it in my personal life.

12 minutes ago, YVK said:

My understanding is that the BoD is taking their discussions and the accumulated member feedback home to independently synthesize and then taking the issue back up at the next meeting: the last meeting did not include a final decision. 

17 minutes ago, llamasabound said:

My understanding is that the BoD is taking their discussions and the accumulated member feedback home to independently synthesize and then taking the issue back up at the next meeting: the last meeting did not include a final decision. 

Then they just need to say so. Small memo will do. The meeting has completed two weeks ago. The decision may not be made for days, weeks, or longer and that it is fine. The minutes of the meeting are available the next day and there is no reason why they can't be posted for two weeks. Whoever is responsible for them not being released that long is either unfit for their position or needs to speak up why they are holding it back.