Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 Gen 3, 13lb Recoil Spring w/ Stock Striker Spring?

CHuynh

Will this cause any issues utilizing factory loads of 115/124? Just at the point where I want to tinker with my 17 to gain any advantage. 

also running a Timney Alpha if that makes any difference to this scenario. 

13# is right on the border of needing a reduced power striker spring IMO. 

I can’t imagine a 13# spring being ideal for factory ammo tho… slide velocity will be high. 

But give it a try… and if you find there’s any slide movement while pulling the trigger during dry fire… you’ll have your answer. The design of the Timney being fully-cocked should play in your favor tho. 

9 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

I can’t imagine a 13# spring being ideal for factory ammo tho… slide velocity will be high. 

But give it a try… and if you find there’s any slide movement while pulling the trigger during dry fire… you’ll have your answer. The design of the Timney being fully-cocked should play in your favor tho. 

Thank you!

I'll find out once the spring/rod arrives from Jager. 13# ISMI spring and steel captured rod. 

What would you consider ideal? Just stick with stock? 

Edited by CHuynh

27 minutes ago, CHuynh said:

Thank you!

I'll find out once the spring/rod arrives from Jager. 13# ISMI spring and steel captured rod. 

What would you consider ideal? Just stick with stock? 

I run 13# with my 132ish PF uspsa loads. I’d say 15# is probably more like it. But you won’t know until you try. It’s really more of a personal preference thing.. as long as you don’t get too crazy from standard spring weight. 

Also no problems with 13# recoil/std striker setup using my 132ishPF reloads. If you want to tweak performance, you might want to reload and get away from unnecessarily hot factory ammo. Reloading is easily learned, saves money, tweaks performance, and for many of us is actually fun.

2 hours ago, lgh said:

Also no problems with 13# recoil/std striker setup using my 132ishPF reloads. If you want to tweak performance, you might want to reload and get away from unnecessarily hot factory ammo. Reloading is easily learned, saves money, tweaks performance, and for many of us is actually fun.

I would love to, but the initial cost of a reload set up is a bit steep for me. 

with factory loads, seems there's a wide variance on PF?

23 hours ago, CHuynh said:

Will this cause any issues utilizing factory loads of 115/124?

A bit more wear and tear on the pistol, depending on the recoil energy of whatever you shoot

23 hours ago, CHuynh said:

Just at the point where I want to tinker with my 17 to gain any advantage.

You won't find one.  I think your time and effort is better spent on doubles and practical accuracy.

40 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

A bit more wear and tear on the pistol, depending on the recoil energy of whatever you shoot

You won't find one.  I think your time and effort is better spent on doubles and practical accuracy.

Probably the answer I needed to hear. Unfortunately already placed the order with Jager. Wonder if I can cancel before it gets processed. 

21 minutes ago, CHuynh said:

Probably the answer I needed to hear. Unfortunately already placed the order with Jager. Wonder if I can cancel before it gets processed. 

At this point just let it ride.  It ain't a lot of money and you might be able to get some use out of it if and when you do reload.

Just know that the gains from tuning the slide speed will be minimal and can only be exploited if your grip is on point.  If your grip on the gun sucks, it will bounce all over the place no matter which recoil spring is in there.  Ergo work on your grip strength and grip technique.

On 12/27/2022 at 3:28 PM, Dirty_J said:

Just received the 13# spring. No movement and it goes into battery during recoil spring test. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Only ammo I have right now is 124gr CCI blazer brass

15 hours ago, CHuynh said:

Just received the 13# spring. No movement and it goes into battery during recoil spring test. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Only ammo I have right now is 124gr CCI blazer brass

Cool. Like I said… likely an advantage of the way the Timney works compared to the OEM trigger design. 

• 1 month later...

If you lower the recoil spring weight, why do you also need a softer striker spring?  I’m not seeing how the the two correlate.

I know that Wolff includes a striker spring with all their GLOCK springs, but they said it was just out of courtesy as they feel it’s an overlooked maintenance item. They’re also reported to be just stick weight springs. 

On 2/7/2023 at 11:11 AM, RoundEye said:

If you lower the recoil spring weight, why do you also need a softer striker spring?  I’m not seeing how the the two correlate.

I know that Wolff includes a striker spring with all their GLOCK springs, but they said it was just out of courtesy as they feel it’s an overlooked maintenance item. They’re also reported to be just stick weight springs. 

Something to do with the balance of the springs, others may chime in with better knowledge

12 hours ago, CHuynh said:

Something to do with the balance of the springs, others may chime in with better knowledge

From the best that I was able to determine it’s that if the recoil spring is too light in a striker fired gun that the act of pressing the trigger / cocking the striker could pull the gun slightly out of battery making it at risk for a

potentially dangerous situation.  

5 minutes ago, RoundEye said:

From the best that I was able to determine it’s that if the recoil spring is too light in a striker fired gun that the act of pressing the trigger / cocking the striker could pull the gun slightly out of battery making it at risk for a

potentially dangerous situation.  

Ah, that does make sense. Since the striker is being pulled back. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had issues with a 13# with a Timney and Glock Perf trigger, there is some force needed to push the slide to battery and capture the striker in those systems, 14# does the trick for me with a normal G17 slide, but my 17L needs more power than a 14#. I am trying 15# next or a clipped factory RS

16 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

I had issues with a 13# with a Timney and Glock Perf trigger, there is some force needed to push the slide to battery and capture the striker in those systems, 14# does the trick for me with a normal G17 slide, but my 17L needs more power than a 14#. I am trying 15# next or a clipped factory RS

Interesting, I've been running (maybe 300 rounds) the 13# with Timney and 4.5# striker spring no issues so far. But I do have a Zev slide, maybe the "lighter" slight made a difference? Or just Glock tolerances 

25 minutes ago, CHuynh said:

Interesting, I've been running (maybe 300 rounds) the 13# with Timney and 4.5# striker spring no issues so far. But I do have a Zev slide, maybe the "lighter" slight made a difference? Or just Glock tolerances 

Yes, slide weight and perhaps porting too (my G17 barrel is ported with a frame mounted compensator)