Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendation for good shop to install a cone-comp on a bull barrel 1911/2011?

JoeyMac

Yes I know this isn’t an “open gun” I’m taking about, but the comp work I’m looking for is common in open guns so I’m asking here…

I’m going down the rabbit hole of buying or ordering a Wilson X9 series (ie: 2011ish) double stack for carry.  I called them and despite it being a 4” bull barrel just like thier carry comp pistols, they won’t add a carry comp barrel upgrade to an X9.  I’ve tried searching online and not coming up with much.  Wilson won’t do it and nighthawk said no as well.  Considering this is going on a Wilson… who can do factory-clean comp without sacrificing the fit/function of a carry gun?   If I do this, would I have to order the Wilson without the standard barrel fluting?

I’m thinking ideally taking something like this EGW full profile blank, chopping it down to 5/8-3/4” or so and putting a single port in it,  fitting it to the barrel, then contouring to the slide for a near seamless lockup

_1_1_11870_25_300_1.jpg

for something looking like this NHC Fire Hawk, except with the front sight on the slide since the X9 already comes that way and then the comp portion only long enough for the one port.

firehawk-website.jpg

Edited by JoeyMac

I would not go about it that way.  I would rebarrel with a standard bushing barrel and have threads cut for a cone comp.  I'd use a Ti comp to keep weight down.  That way you can switch back if you don't like it.

A one-port comp is not going to do much by way of flattening the gun, or softening the recoil.  If the reason you are considering this is a faster follow up shot, a couple or poppels in the barrel will be much more effective in limiting muzzle rise.

A comp won’t make your follow up shots much faster, especially since the gun in question will already be firing a low recoil round.

How fast can you split on a target at, let’s say, 15 yards and keep your hits in the A zone?  Let’s say it’s .4 seconds just for the sake of conversation. How much time do you reasonably expect to shave off that split after spending $1k+? Your split will probably never be below .15 under those parameters, so ask yourself if such a small amount of time is worth the hassle.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

A one-port comp is not going to do much by way of flattening the gun, or softening the recoil.  If the reason you are considering this is a faster follow up shot, a couple or poppels in the barrel will be much more effective in limiting muzzle rise.

Yes, that’s it.

I just want to keep the gun a bit flatter to help with keeping the dot in the window faster. I don’t really care about the 9mm “recoil” at all… it’s for a carry gun, not matches.

sounds like v-comp, magnaport, or popple holes down the top is going to better for keeping length versus a thread-on comp.

Edited by JoeyMac

@CalTeacher, in competition, going from a .4 second split to a .15 second split is huge.   It is even more so in a combat situation.

2 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

I just want to keep the gun a bit flatter to help with keeping the dot in the window faster. I don’t really care about the 9mm “recoil” at all… it’s for a carry gun, not matches.

Then buy the gun you want, have poppels put in, then tune your gun to your chosen self defense load.

I wouldn't get too nuts with poppels or you will lose velocity.  Two 3/16" popple should do it.  You may have to go to a V2 config because of the fluting.  When that is done, tune your gun and your grip to the load.  You vary recoil spring weight, mainspring weight and the radius on your firing pin stop to get the gun to return naturally to the original POA.  If the gun settles high, you need a heavier recoil spring.  If low, lighter.  Then practice with the ammo you will defend yourself with.

Beautiful, interesting gun.  But!  There is no way I'd want to carry that weight plus 15 rounds around all day.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

@CalTeacher, in competition, going from a .4 second split to a .15 second split is huge.   It is even more so in a combat situation.

Of course it matters. But throwing money at a 9 minor gun to accomplish the task is an exercise in futility.  Just…wait for it…learn to grip the gun.

The OP wants a Wison X9.  He wants it to shoot flatter.  My local gunsmith/machinist charges me $25 to cut a slot in the slide and another $25 for two 3/16" poppels.   I don't consider an extra $50 'throwing money' at it.  Even with an excellent grip it will flatten the gun.  It is an EDC gun.  If he ever has to use it in anger, every advantage helps.

18 hours ago, CalTeacher said:

I’m sorry, but this mod is simply a waste of money for a gun that you think will be used in a self-defense scenario.

But hey, gunsmiths appreciate the business!

I’m a gunsmith and I completely agree with you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Man fitting a cone comp to a bull barrel is gonna be an interesting deal. I know Dan at D2 Customs uses cone comps a lot and when I asked him about adding one to a bull barrel he advised against it due to the barrel "springing" I belive. I'd have to read back through text messages to be sure that was the reason. But I know he said it would be better to just install a bushing barrel fpr the cone comp.