Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon SRO, What is your routine?

DukeSoprano

Choose the "Lock In Mode", and select the desired brightness for the conditions you are in.  Most will set it as low as they can so the dot does not become a distraction.  I sweep the gun back in forth in the bay as a part of my Make ready routine to make sure the dot is bright enough or when the sun is at your back will not wash out.   

Just leave the dot on all of the time and replace it annually.  This keeps button manipulations to a minimum.  

i turn mine on at the safe table gunning up and off at the end of the match, don't think about it much at all unless light conditions are way outside normal, just take a look at make ready.  locked mode as well.  i haven't run any battery dead yet but i change it maybe once a year or before a major match just in case. 

1 hour ago, DavidSeavey said:

i turn mine on at the safe table gunning up and off at the end of the match, don't think about it much at all unless light conditions are way outside normal, just take a look at make ready.  locked mode as well.  i haven't run any battery dead yet but i change it maybe once a year or before a major match just in case. 

I do the same.

I'm assuming locked mode means manual brightness adjust?  That's how I run my SROs.  Also turn them on when I first put the gun on, then turn off when bagging at the end of the match.

RMRs on carry guns get run on auto adjust, on 24/7/365

On 12/14/2022 at 10:56 PM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

I do the same.

I'm assuming locked mode means manual brightness adjust?  That's how I run my SROs.  Also turn them on when I first put the gun on, then turn off when bagging at the end of the match.

RMRs on carry guns get run on auto adjust, on 24/7/365

Auto adjust is terrible. I have one that only auto adjusts on my SIRT. Occasionally the lighting is just the  right condition for issues. I’m in the dark and the gun is pointed towards a light and the dot is washed out. Plus auto adjust is slow. 

8 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

Auto adjust is terrible. I have one that only auto adjusts on my SIRT. Occasionally the lighting is just the  right condition for issues. I’m in the dark and the gun is pointed towards a light and the dot is washed out. Plus auto adjust is slow. 

The SRO's auto adjust feature is not as sensitive as that of the RMR.  If I used one on a carry gun I'd set it at one brightness and move on.  The RMR (specifically the RM07) meets my standard for how an auto brightness system should function and I have tested it under any condition that I might find myself in.  That's what rides on my carry guns.

Holosun should have spent all the engineering time it wasted on shake awake and solar panels on getting their auto brightness to even work.

2 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

The SRO's auto adjust feature is not as sensitive as that of the RMR.  If I used one on a carry gun I'd set it at one brightness and move on.  The RMR (specifically the RM07) meets my standard for how an auto brightness system should function and I have tested it under any condition that I might find myself in.  That's what rides on my carry guns.

Holosun should have spent all the engineering time it wasted on shake awake and solar panels on getting their auto brightness to even work.

Did not no this, good info. However, my carry gun has an SRO that rides under my shirt and I know when I pull it out and I forgot to set it that morning it’s too dim when I’m outside practicing in sunlight. I practice live almost every Thursdays  without an idpa group and once in awhile this will happen. I usually set it in the morning when I do some practice draws before work. I can always tell when I didn’t set it, it’s always too dim on auto. 

2 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

Did not no this, good info. However, my carry gun has an SRO that rides under my shirt and I know when I pull it out and I forgot to set it that morning it’s too dim when I’m outside practicing in sunlight. I practice live almost every Thursdays  without an idpa group and once in awhile this will happen. I usually set it in the morning when I do some practice draws before work. I can always tell when I didn’t set it, it’s always too dim on auto. 

Also make sure you understand how to switch your SRO (RMR works the same way) from manual to auto brightness adjust.  You might be at a low brightness in manual mode thinking that you're in auto.

Not saying that's what happening, just that it might be what's happening.

The manual is pretty clear on how to do it.

4 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Also make sure you understand how to switch your SRO (RMR works the same way) from manual to auto brightness adjust.  You might be at a low brightness in manual mode thinking that you're in auto.

Not saying that's what happening, just that it might be what's happening.

The manual is pretty clear on how to do it.

You are probably right because I have it set to manual mode. I assumed it switched to auto mode if not engaged after 16 hours. 

On 12/14/2022 at 6:12 PM, DukeSoprano said:

Just installed a Trijicon SRO on my open gun, shooting an indoor practice session tomorrow night and just wondering when you turn yours on and what setting you use?

I already miss my Holosuns shake awake but I won't miss their customer service department.

I just turn mine on at the safe table at the beginning of the match and leave it on all match.

I have not had any battery life issues, they seem to last a long time.

13 minutes ago, Skeeter44 said:

I just turn mine on at the safe table at the beginning of the match and leave it on all match.

I have not had any battery life issues, they seem to last a long time.

This mirrors my experience.  I change the battery annually in all of my pistols/rifles with optics.

Last year at A6 the first AM stage for me was with the sun coming up over a berm right in my eyes. Throughout the day the lighting changed pretty much on every stage so adjustments were needed often. That being said I do leave mine on all the time.