Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Care to critique a newbie's learning plan?

leam

Being new, again, to precision rifle, I'd appreciate critique of my reentry plan. Please share your wisdom.

I'm going to attend a long range rifle course the end of the month. I attended one a few years ago; I had a great teacher, but my foundational skills and hardware weren't there. Shot some NRL22, and then life overcame my drive.

My goal for the class is to enjoy it, and re-learn as much as possible. I'm happy to rent their gear, since it'll be what I need and won't break the personal bank. My Savage Axis (223) under a Millett won't take me to 1,000+ yards.   :P

After class, if I'm still enthused, then I'll look at a 22LR bolt gun and a decent starter scope. Rifle selection is limited by my being a lefty. So far the options seem to be the Tikka T1X or the CZ457. I'm open your suggestions. The 22 will give me a cheap way to practice the drills and skills from the class, and build the foundation that I'm so lacking in.

I have fantastic spousal support, but it would take a year to save up for a "real" PRS style rifle. Given that I'm old, and have a bad back, actual competition isn't going to happen, but I can practice like it. Shooting the 22 for a year, with occasional trips to the long range with a rental rifle, should get me to the point where I can actually use the nice hardware.

How can I improve this plan?

I was a USPSA shooter plus Sporting Clays for years. I got interested in long range rifle and took the plunge. Shooting PRS matches for 2+ years. Took two classes at K&M Precision in TN and learned a lot. Learned even more by jumping into matches - the other PRS competitors are typically very supportive and will drag you along during your first couple of matches and insure you steadily improve. I shoot PRS (centerfire) and PRS rimfire. Enjoy both - in some ways PRS rimfire more enjoyable as removes the reloading/brass chasing etc. part. I shoot some NRL22 for practice but I find the course of fire for NRL22 disappointing - I see what they are trying to do but the shooting props are just cheesy (my opinion).

I started my PRS rimfire with a Ruger RPR rimfire (ok but not as accurate as I wanted), quickly moved to Bergara B14R (lot of rifle for $) but got a deal on a RimX full custom (divorce sale opportunity). Being left handed will limit options. 

Optics is a touchy subject. Cheap optics will fail you. Great optics will bankrupt you. I try to find a middle ground. I use the now discontinued (and heavily discounted) Burris XTRIII line in MILs for PRS and PRS centerfire. I have Burris XTRIIs on back up rifles (even cheaper not as good glass same reticle). Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 and Vortex Venom 5-25 have their following among the less expensive scopes. Make sure you can dial the parallax down to at least 25 yards for rimfire.

For rimfire, need to look at quality target grade ammo. Normally Standard Velocity. I use the SK family and normally Standard +. Another touchy subject. SK good enough for me

You need a great positional bag - in the southeast Armageddon Gear rules with the GameChanger line - regular, schmedium, or pintsized.

You need a good bipod (many start with Harris or clone). Most quickly move to ARCA rails and better bipods.

You need a way to get your dope. Plenty of ballistic apps for phones but many bite the bullet and get the Kestrel. Remember my MILs comment - if you use MILs you can "talk" the language of other competitors and check dope. If everyone else talking 2.2 mil hold and you are dialing 1.6 mil then maybe need to confirm for example.

Need a way to access dope in course of fire. Good start is roll of painter tape and sharpie. Right the dope on tape and stick to your arm. Many more sophisticated ways too.

Jump into the PRS pool and have fun

@ranger, that was a really cool write-up. Thanks! I had an RPRR, but trying to shoot right handed never really worked for me.  The Bergara 14R now comes in lefty, and fits a Remington 700 chassis if their web page is correct. The AICS mag is a nice touch, too. The adjustable stock.... AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

The local gunshop didn't have a line one the Steel version but the Carbon in lefty 22LR should be in tomorrow. Now i need rings, and to start working on a scope. Any recommendations? A 30mm tube is the standard, right?

My ususal ammo is CCI SV, but I'll have to get the scope before doing any testing. I've got bags, but no bipod yet.

CCI SV is fine to start with but I suspect you will want to move to SK or others. Norma TAC22 is ok (similar to CCI SV) but there is a new Norma Match 22 I need to try

Weight is your friend - if you can get a traditional steel barrel for competition to get more weight up front

Many target scopes now are 34mm. Again, suggest MILs/MRAD. Scopes are a very personal decision. Make sure you can dial parallax at least to 25 yards - that will eliminate some scopes that only focus down to 50 yards.

Some common scopes on PRS rimfire are Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56, Vortex Venom 5-25x56, Vortex PSTII 5-25 (30mm tube), Arken EP5 (34mm tube), multiple Athlons, Bushnell Match PRO, and then it goes crazy to the $$$ scopes. I used a Vortex Venom 5-25 but recently upgraded to a Burris XTRIII. My shooting partner uses a Vortex PSTII. 

You need at least a 20MOA base for your rifle to get elevation for the "long" rimfire shots past 300 yards. 

Right now I'm focused on foundational skills, so the hardware will be geared towards the 100 yard flat range. So far I'm thinking the EGW 0 MOA scope mount, Harris 6-9" bipod, and a friend's Vortex scope. 50 yards with regular 22LR, and 100 with SV to build my dope.

I already have the mat, front and rear bags. Class is scheduled for the end of the month. Besides practice, what am I missing?

Why get a 0 MOA base when 20 MOA should be same price? Suspect you may regret 0 MOA base. Harris 6-9 is great. Suggest a cell phone ballistics APP that includes 22LR data. 22LR drops fast. Suggest 50 yard zero (most common for PRS22 matches). Have fun!

My concern about the 20 MOA base is the forward outer diameter of the scope, trying to keep the rings low, and probably needed a sun screen for the Texas sun. I'm not sure the angle won't create a problem.

Already have the AB app, part of the learning is learning how to use it.   :)

CZ-457 At-one, or Bergara B14.  I have shot both and enjoyed both.  I have a buddy that shoots the bergara at our local matches and he is a lefty.  As for Optics also look into Arken Optics, they are great for the price, I have one on my CZ-455 in the AT-One that I shoot, while I am awaiting my RIMX.  Get at least a 20MOA rail if not 30-40MOA.  If the scope only has 10-15 mils of elevation after zeroing, that runs out really fast, as going from 100 yards is 1.2 Mils, and 200 yards is 7.9 mils, and if I am not mistaken 230 yards is closer to 10+ mils.  Once you get out there it adds up fast.

• 1 month later...

Late to the thread, new to this forum. I ran a B-14R until recently. I also had trouble finding OEM mags. If you can't find mags, Vudoo V-22 plastic mags can work. You just need to file a channel for the ejector bar which takes around 5 minutes. There are some tutorials on Snipershide. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it was a slightly breezy day, but the berm blocked some of it. 15 shots in a 2.5" x 2.5" square, up and left of the bull. Sadly, the lower right edge had the only hits near the bullseye. I'm not sure what's going on, but I could use some critique. Here's what I know.

I am left handed, and shot from a concrete bench with bags front and rear.

Breezy day, slow fire.

Bergera B14R, and had been sighted in at the same range, a few months ago.

Ammo is Remington Thunderbolt 22LR.

50 yard distance, and scope was clear on the target.

The 2.5 x 2.5 inch square was mostly upper left to the bullseye.

The rifle would often settle to the right.

Given Bergara's reputation, I'm pretty sure it ain't the hardware. What do I need to do differently?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMHO, You are never going to be happy with the accuracy unless you use better ammunition. Cheap bulk 22 ammo is a recipe for frustration. My buddy has a B14R and with SK Standard + he can stack them into one hole at 50yds. 

Edited by CavReconScout
Spelling