Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Solvents

cykapath

I like using isopropyl alcohol and acetone to clean stuff as they're pretty general purpose, but I know sometimes acetone is way too harsh for some materials and such. What parts should I avoid having contact with acetone, and are there any solvents I should generally avoid?

The issue with a lot of the alcohols and acetones is that they are degreasers and will strip any and all protectants from metal.

It is easy to say, "Well, I'll just re-apply something.", but I prefer to use cleaners that won't remove all the oil and have some protectant qualities of their own.  I clean with WD-40 (cheap, plentiful, and a great solvent.  Sucks as a lube though.)  After wiping off the WD-40 and the dissolved crusties, I apply synthetic motor oil (Mobil 1 or similar) to lubricate.

If I screw up and miss a small area with the oil, the residual WD-40 should be enough to give a modicum of protection.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 6:59 AM, Braxton1 said:

I prefer to use cleaners that won't remove all the oil and have some protectant qualities of their own.  I clean with WD-40 (cheap, plentiful, and a great solvent.  Sucks as a lube though.)  After wiping off the WD-40 and the dissolved crusties, I apply synthetic motor oil (Mobil 1 or similar) to lubricate.

If I screw up and miss a small area with the oil, the residual WD-40 should be enough to give a modicum of protection.

I have somewhat the same thoughts although WD40 is not on my list. I'll have to look at that one a bit more.

I typically use mineral spirits which is a decent cleaner and actually has a mild lubricating property as well.

If I do choose to use acetone to clean something then depending upon what it is I may wipe it down with mineral spirits afterwards for that mild lubricating effect.

Depends on the application.

Of course there are all the snake oil options as well...

I love both Lucas Gun Cleaner and CLP in the spare can.  The Gun Cleaner, which seems to be similar to electrical contact cleaning solvent is perfect for striker channels and tough grit.  I probably would be careful on certain finishes with that one, but I have yet to have it destroy anything.  It drys clean and leaves zero residue.  I absolutely love the Lucas CLP in the spray can.  Cleans really well and lubricates parts as well.   Leaves a slick residue which makes future cleanings very easy.  

10 minutes ago, vegaspete61 said:

Brakleen

I think it would be wise to use the Brakleen that does not have Chlorine in it.  There are two versions.  One that has Chlorine and one that does not.  The Green can or jug.

Edited by Boomstick303

38 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I think it would be wise to use the Brakleen that does not have Chlorine in it.  There are two versions.  One that has Chlorine and one that does not.  The Green can or jug.

Agreed...I always buy the green can.

3M 8880 High Power Brake Cleaner is about as good as you can get for removing old lube, junk and carbon from guns. If I'm doing a 5000 round clean, that stuff is awesome. I also shoot metal pistols so I'm not overly concerned about solvents on polymer. Obviously the AR's don't mind the brake cleaner. 

The Hoppes Gun Medic is awesome for removing a decent amount of crud and re-lubing in about a second. I keep it in my range bucket for practice and for our local club matches. Having it at A4 SCSA we got a few guns back up and running and I've seen it do the same for folks at Nationals. 

As for lube that keeps things easy to clean, the Hoppes CLP is pretty solid. Mobil 1 5w20 also works really well and I never seem to run out. 

I use Mpro 7, odorless, biodegradable and non toxic, and it’s the best gun cleaner I’ve found

it does strip away all the lubricants which requires you to lube the gun, but that is something you should be doing anyway 

I also use crc silicone spray, the carrier is acetone which dries fairly quick and leaves behind a thin layer of silicone, I use it to blast/flush areas I’m too lazy to take apart and to clean mags

also wear nitrile gloves when you’re cleaning guns, anything that can remove metal from metal, can’t be good for you

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2022 at 1:20 PM, Darqusoull13 said:

3M 8880 High Power Brake Cleaner is about as good as you can get for removing old lube, junk and carbon from guns. If I'm doing a 5000 round clean, that stuff is awesome. I also shoot metal pistols so I'm not overly concerned about solvents on polymer. Obviously the AR's don't mind the brake cleaner. 

The Hoppes Gun Medic is awesome for removing a decent amount of crud and re-lubing in about a second. I keep it in my range bucket for practice and for our local club matches. Having it at A4 SCSA we got a few guns back up and running and I've seen it do the same for folks at Nationals. 

As for lube that keeps things easy to clean, the Hoppes CLP is pretty solid. Mobil 1 5w20 also works really well and I never seem to run out. 

2X on the 3M cleaner. I buy it by the case for use on the farm. Cleans hyd fittings before plugging them in and kills stink bugs and hornets fast. 😁 It will soften some plastics and gunstock finishes as it contains acetone and several alcohols. 

On 12/25/2022 at 11:18 PM, CHA-LEE said:

I use CRC Electronic Contact Cleaner. It works great and is plastic safe. You can find this stuff at many Auto Parts stores and Walmarts... https://www.crcindustries.com/products/qd-174-electronic-cleaner-11-wt-oz.html

I use this as well….great product, got the last can at Home Depot.  Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil for lube where needed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 7:07 PM, cykapath said:

I like using isopropyl alcohol and acetone to clean stuff as they're pretty general purpose, but I know sometimes acetone is way too harsh for some materials and such. What parts should I avoid having contact with acetone, and are there any solvents I should generally avoid?

I've been known to use carb/throttle body cleaner and brake clean for some quick spray downs to get excess buildup off.  Ballistol, auto motor oil, auto motor oil blended with grease, hoppes 9, military clp.   

Round 2016, I bought something like 15 types of cleaners and clp products.  Aren't any of them particularly special.  

I wouldn't bother with frog lube, Lucas gun oil, or anything costs 10 dollars for an ounce or 2.  It's not caviar.