Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Feeder 9mm 124 plated vs 147 jacketed

I've loaded nothing but 147  grain jacketed and coated since I got my 1050 with bullet feeder.  I won't buy coated any more because it's causes round to drop inverted or double feed.  I want to try some 124s, but not if it's going to cause me to take the die apart and mess with the little ball bearings.  Anybody have experience with this?  

Also loaded 147g Zero JHPs for a LONG time!  Then switched to their 125JHPs; and now using the PD 124 JHPs..........

So far, I've not had to make any adjustments to the MBF for loading either.  IMO, the shapes/ogives between the two weights is close enough to not warrant any changes.  124/125s are a bit shorter than 147s; but I don't think that factors into the operation of the bullet dropper.

👍

@HOGRIDERmust have found a sweet spot.  I did not have to adjust the bearings in the bullet feeder die.  I did have to adjust the spacers in the bullet feeder bowl and make a slight height adjustment with the die to prevent double bullet drops.  

Obviously, due to 147 gr bullets being longer, unless you find some magical setup which @Hogrider seems to have found, I have to make adjustments when using shorter bullets.  

I have started recording the height of the bullet feeder spacers for all of the bullets I load to make the caliber change quicker, versus the trial and error method which can take up a decent amount of time for caliber conversions.  

36 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

@HOGRIDERmust have found a sweet spot.  I did not have to adjust the bearings in the bullet feeder die.  I did have to adjust the spacers in the bullet feeder bowl and make a slight height adjustment with the die to prevent double bullet drops.  

Obviously, due to 147 gr bullets being longer, unless you find some magical setup which @Hogrider seems to have found, I have to make adjustments when using shorter bullets.  

I have started recording the height of the bullet feeder spacers for all of the bullets I load to make the caliber change quicker, versus the trial and error method which can take up a decent amount of time for caliber conversions.  

@Boomstick303 About a year and a half ago, I was also having to play/adjust with the spacer shims that come stock with the MBF kit.  Then I happen to notice this and though it might be worth a try:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/mr-bulletfeeder-optimization-kit-by-primer-catchers/

The spacers and flip ramp actually worked great; and eliminated 99% of any adjustments I've had to make up top!  A bit pricy as I didn't use the angle adjustment guides, but I have to say it definitely made a difference in my setup!

👍

6 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I won't buy coated any more because it's causes round to drop inverted or double feed.

If it's the MBF then you need to adjust the shims and the ramp or get their new adjustable plate. As far as the MBF die for 9 goes, I use the top holes. After the proper height is set it doesn't matter what size of bullet I am loading (147s and 124s, coated, plated or FMJ) they all drop equally as well.

29 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

So you never have to adjust shims?

So far, no I haven't.  Of course I haven't loaded a big array of different weight/shapes/styles; but of the JHPs and Blue Bullets in both weights I've loaded, the shims have not been touched!

The numbered spacer behind the stock spacers along with the big flipper ramp has, so far with the bullets I'm using, eliminated any spacer shim adjustments.

Pic from the BS site:

103167_3__65620.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 6:26 PM, RangerTrace said:

All this sounds promising.  Thanks for the info!!

@RangerTraceWhile repurposing the MBF to the Apex 10, I decided to give it a good cleaning and recheck all the adjustments.  IMO, this early copy of the MBF user manual does a pretty good job of depicting the setup (with pics) of the nose guide and flip ramp:

https://app.box.com/s/0tdxsgv1ygdh7ndcwkklqjpwxv0lsdjl

HTHs......

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp