Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Hammer for Shadow 2 SAO

AZ_GunGuy

2 hours ago, AZ_GunGuy said:

So far I've looked at CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works.

Not sure why with SAO you want a new hammer, however I have this one in my two Shadow 2s:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/manual-safety-blue-steel-hammer/

The main reason is I like the larger hammer for decocking at the start of the run. Does improve performance of the gun? Nope, just easier to manage for DA start. Since you are set up for SAO it doesn't really matter.

I've seen videos were people claim the competition hammers reduce creep and have a cleaner break.  They claim the geometry is a bit different than the factory hammer where the hammer meets the sear.

I'm also interested to see if it affects the SAO trigger pull weight.  From the responses so far, it would appear not.  I'll test with a Lyman guage before and after the upgrade.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:15 PM, AZ_GunGuy said:

I've seen videos were people claim the competition hammers reduce creep and have a cleaner break.  They claim the geometry is a bit different than the factory hammer where the hammer meets the sear.

I'm also interested to see if it affects the SAO trigger pull weight.  From the responses so far, it would appear not.  I'll test with a Lyman guage before and after the upgrade.

Claiming and accutally doing are two completely different things.  They may well be as claimed, and just as easily it may be an assertion not based in fact.  For the 0.5-1.0% of competitors that actually need the absolute best hardware and $ can provide it may will be worth it.  For the remaining 99.0-99.5% of us.  We'll never really see it.  My opinion obviously.  It you firearm and $, and as such, certainly upto you on what and how to do it.  Hope the mod is worth it. 

I installed the new hammer today.  I had also previously installed a CGW reduced weight trigger return spring and the CGW ultra light kit.  Also my Shadow 2 has an Eemann SAO trigger and the disconnector is removed.  Currently running a 11.5lb hammer spring.

Lyman results with stock hammer:

2lb 2oz

Lyman results with comp hammer:

2lb 3oz

Not sure if this is a break in issue, but the trigger pull is slightly heavier.

However, the creep is down about 50%.  This is a bit subjective, but I really feel it's way better than with the stock hammer. Looking at where the hammer meets the sear cage, the geometry is definitely different. 

I think this result can be validated by observing the over travel screw.  I put the screw in using blue loctite and calibrated to the stock hammer.  There is a larger gap now after the break.  Enough room that I need to adjust the screw - meaning the trigger actually breaks slightly earlier in the pull. 

So in conclusion, it's not the first upgrade I'd recommend, but if you're wanting to reduce creep I think you'll be happy with it.

Edited by AZ_GunGuy