Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which GMR-15 does everyone get?

Looking at getting a PCC for USPSA and the GMR-15 seems like the way to go but I'm confused with all the options. I see some at $1700, $1950, and $2300 What are the use cases for each one and is there a specific one that's recommended to get?

Edited by drone14k
14 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

I’ll sell you a MPX… LOL

Brian just wants to fund a JP-5 🤣

If you're a pragmatist, then get the cheapest GMR-15. They're the same internally which leads to roughly the same ballpark performance. Also, if you find out that you don't like the ergonomics, then you have more money left over to get something different.

If you must have the best, then get a JP-5.

Edited by CClassForLife
2 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

I’ll sell you a MPX… LOL

Haha I'm too lazy for an MPX from what I hear about it.

2 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

If you're a pragmatist, then get the cheapest GMR-15. They're the same internally which leads to roughly the same ballpark performance. Also, if you find out that you don't like the ergonomics, then you have more money left over to get something different.

If you must have the best, then get a JP-5.

So it looks like I should go for the comped pin/weld 14.5 inch barrel then? Definitely don't need the best right now, just want something fun, competitive, and reliable. 

44 minutes ago, drone14k said:

So it looks like I should go for the comped pin/weld 14.5 inch barrel then?

That's plenty competitive. Run it for a bit and you'll have a better idea of what you like and don't like. I suggest you don't throw too much money into the GMR, because you'll want to get a JP-5 if you start to get serious with PCC.

On 11/25/2022 at 3:19 PM, drone14k said:

I see some at $1700, $1950, and $2300 What are the use cases for each one and is there a specific one that's recommended to get?

The $1700 is the base model without the Side Charging Upper, to where the $2300 version is the one that would come with the Side Charging Upper.  The ones in between will have different features from base models.  Maybe the shorter barrel with the shroud to keep the gun legal rifle length etc.  

The side Charging upper is not required by any means, but others prefer it.  It would be up to the end user on what they are willing to pay and what options they are willing to pass on.  

On 11/25/2022 at 7:40 PM, CClassForLife said:

On 11/25/2022 at 10:10 PM, drone14k said:

Haha I'm too lazy for an MPX from what I hear about it.

This basically sums up my thoughts... I still wanna get some more range time with a JP5.  Direct comparison between the 2... But I'm also in the off season so shooting is basically non existent for me

On 11/25/2022 at 4:19 PM, drone14k said:

Looking at getting a PCC for USPSA and the GMR-15 seems like the way to go but I'm confused with all the options. I see some at $1700, $1950, and $2300 What are the use cases for each one and is there a specific one that's recommended to get?

For USPSA I would go with the 14.5" pin/weld with the MLOK handguard, 5 stainless SCS, extended mag release, 3 port comp and your choice on the furniture. PM me and I'll send you a build sheet of exactly what I'd build for a straightforward race setup. 

You see a bunch of different prices because there's a ton of options on the GMR series. Dual charge with the side charging system + top charge, titanium compensators, ultralight aluminum shrouded barrels, all sorts of things that can really change how your rifle performs depending on the sport. 

• 2 weeks later...

Best setup I've used yet is a JP5 with a 70 degree lock piece (80 degree comes stock) and then swap the handguard to a 12" Smoke Composite. Factory JP trigger is great but personal preference. Same with grip and stock. This got my JP5 with 2 Vortex Razors to 5lb 10oz.

• 9 months later...

Built one with stripped GMR15 upper/lower.  

added:

Brekke Custom 12.5”

Maximundi/Smoke Composite handguard

Raptor CH
QC10 bolt

ECLipse trigger

Talon 45/90

Kynshot 5020ss

JP small frame/Rifle spring

Smoke Composit A5 buffer tube

Magpul stock & grip

ordered most thru Brekke Custom

Just pony up the extra $$ and get the JP5.  Though I heard they have developed a failure to extract, mine has been 100% and is the funnest gun to shoot in my safe.  My 10 year old put about 200 rounds through mine last weekend and wants to go again this weekend.  It may be the hook I've been looking for to get him into shooting.

• 4 months later...

I’ve shot the jp5 a couple times, and it’s pretty nice… but shooting it side by side with my gmr-15, built almost same as Brekke Custom’s blowback pcc, there’s not enough difference on hits, function to make me want to sell mine, to get a new jp