Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

when 9mm is NOT .355"

boatdoc173

next  problem encountered just today-- I bought some  9mm 124 gr  on sale( NEW  not seconds)  from a company that  is new to me. the bullet shape and size appeared to be exactly what I wa s  using  from another company( use d for years without issue).  I am getting set back into the cases with the new bullets.  measured them vs my usual bullets.  my usual measure  0.355" at the base.  the new ones--- 0.354.5"  just a bit smaller than my usual. Tried deceasing my case expansion to almost zero..still setting back. recalibrated the coal from 1.135" to 1.142"  and verifie d  that they fit into my trouble child by plinking them.. still setting back

is there any hope that thes e 0.354.5"  bullets can be used?

wonder how they sell them as  9mm is they are NOT 0.355" ?

happy thanksgiving to all.  and thanks for any tips provided

Hey guys.

make whatever adjustments to you loading unit, load them shoot them. there is not enough difference to worry about ever.  is nothing to worry about

354/355/356/357/358 .004 is not enough to worry about.

I have done this all my life, 

Shoot well.

Russell.

3 minutes ago, JRB said:

Hey guys.

make whatever adjustments to you loading unit, load them shoot them. there is not enough difference to worry about ever.  is nothing to worry about

Shoot well.

Russell.

Agreed 

54 minutes ago, JRB said:

Hey guys.

Shoot well.

Russell.

Not if bullets are moving in the case. 

1 hour ago, boatdoc173 said:

next  problem encountered just today-- I bought some  9mm 124 gr  on sale( NEW  not seconds)  from a company that  is new to me. the bullet shape and size appeared to be exactly what I wa s  using  from another company( use d for years without issue).  I am getting set back into the cases with the new bullets.  measured them vs my usual bullets.  my usual measure  0.355" at the base.  the new ones--- 0.354.5"  just a bit smaller than my usual. Tried deceasing my case expansion to almost zero..still setting back. recalibrated the coal from 1.135" to 1.142"  and verifie d  that they fit into my trouble child by plinking them.. still setting back

is there any hope that thes e 0.354.5"  bullets can be used?

happy thanksgiving to all.  and thanks for any tips provided

Montana Gold are sometimes around .3545 so I went to a LEE UDIE. 

1 hour ago, boatdoc173 said:

thanks for the replies.

the lee udie might be a simple fix to this.  @Sarge--did that work?  no setbacks?

As others have said, this WILL WORK!  

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012827841?pid=386755&utm_medium=email&utm_source=service&utm_campaign=shipping-confirmation&utm_content=product-shipped-today-product-description-link

Also note that when using the Lee UDie's stock locking ring, it will have to be mounted on the bottom of the Dillon tool head.  OR, much simpler to use a Dillon standard lock ring on top!

https://www.amazon.com/Dillon-Precision-10669-Rings-Package/dp/B0160BSA4A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

;)

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

To add to the concern, I recently pulled a large number of older cast 9mm loaded ammo to recycle the components. I found that although all identical cast bullets were seated to the same depth, the inside taper of the cases don't appear to have any sort of standardization as far as the inner taper goes. So some bullets came out with slight bevel bases, some had more pronounced bevel bases, and some weren't bevel based at all. All from the same mould, same alloy, same sizing diameter, everything. Seating depth was the same, and the bullets were not bevel based when they were installed in the case.

This was one of those eye-opening moments for me. I had never considered the angle of the inner base wall taper before. My plan now is to watch my seating depth much closer, and perhaps gauge the upper case walls with locked calipers to get a rough idea of max seating depth available in the cases. most cast bullet manufacturers don't have much for seating depth info. There were never any concerns with overpressure with these loads, and I don't believe there is any sort of realistic safety concerns here either. The ammo got broken down because accuracy was abysmal, and the pullet bullets still measured  their original sized diameter, at least the upper portions of them did.

3 hours ago, anachronism said:

To add to the concern, I recently pulled a large number of older cast 9mm loaded ammo to recycle the components. I found that although all identical cast bullets were seated to the same depth, the inside taper of the cases don't appear to have any sort of standardization as far as the inner taper goes. So some bullets came out with slight bevel bases, some had more pronounced bevel bases, and some weren't bevel based at all. All from the same mould, same alloy, same sizing diameter, everything. Seating depth was the same, and the bullets were not bevel based when they were installed in the case.

This was one of those eye-opening moments for me. I had never considered the angle of the inner base wall taper before. My plan now is to watch my seating depth much closer, and perhaps gauge the upper case walls with locked calipers to get a rough idea of max seating depth available in the cases. most cast bullet manufacturers don't have much for seating depth info. There were never any concerns with overpressure with these loads, and I don't believe there is any sort of realistic safety concerns here either. The ammo got broken down because accuracy was abysmal, and the pullet bullets still measured  their original sized diameter, at least the upper portions of them did.

I made a plug gauge that goes into the case so you can check inside taper. There’s a wide range of taper between different headstamps but didn’t notice very much within the same brands. Hornady has the least and would be good for 147’s or heavier. With uncoated lead I’ve never liked bevel based bullets. They always seemed to lead easily and we’re not accurate in my guns. 

Edited by Farmer

On 11/24/2022 at 10:24 AM, boatdoc173 said:

Because their nominal size is .355, and every nominal dimension has am allowable tolerance range.

You'll be severely disappointed if you think that every mass produced part is identical to every other one like it.