Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide milling for optic

Pat B.

Any recommendations for a smith who might mill a 1911 slide for optics? Even better would be to mill for adapter plates of some brand so a fella could change optics as new and better models become available ...

Any help would be appreciated..  Thanks

One the first 1911 I built I had the slide scalloped in the rear like an Open gun slide.  Then I had pins inserted and threads cut so a dot could be mounted as low as possible.  I love it.  That being said, it is not one iota better than the dovetail mounted dots on some other 1911s.

If it is the only 1911 you are going to do this too, go for it if you like.  The disadvantage for me is I play find the dot with it.  All three Open guns and by other dovetail mounted 1911s share very similar dot heights over the bore.  I can switch between them without issue.  Not so the recessed slide mounted optic.

I think the current "why didn't I think of that" system is offered by Chambers Custom. Here's a link to their site: https://www.store.chamberscustom.com/products/chambers-custom-rdms-plate

Joes price is just for the adapter if I read it right, machining and installation by one of his authorized installers. I'd really like to see someone make an mount that works with the std low mount Bomar cut, but I see potential pitfalls there.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:51 PM, Reinholt said:

EGW makes a BOMAR cut mount.  Put it on my old single stack race gun but have not fired it yet.  It is low but the plate still is on top of the slide.  

Yeah their LPA plate sits pretty high as well. 

On 11/25/2022 at 10:39 AM, anachronism said:

I think the current "why didn't I think of that" system is offered by Chambers Custom. Here's a link to their site: https://www.store.chamberscustom.com/products/chambers-custom-rdms-plate

Joes price is just for the adapter if I read it right, machining and installation by one of his authorized installers. I'd really like to see someone make an mount that works with the std low mount Bomar cut, but I see potential pitfalls there.

I believe Joe's plate only works for RMR and some Holosuns.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...