Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too much?

Rich406

57 minutes ago, oddjob said:

Has anyone here seen the folding thumb test from Odin??

I was leaning on it. But I had some hesitations. I wasn’t sure if it was rebuildable or how hard it would be. What if it failed in me at a match? Could it snag? I just didn’t have the warm and fuzzy without seeing one in person.

this one seemed straight forward and I liked the thumb shield. I’ve had my thumb ride the slide a time or two rushing. I don’t think it was enough to really effect slide speed all to much but I noticed it. 

I bought one to try and I’m not a huge fan of the angle, not as extreme as I’d like, probably great for others. 

As for holsters and hangers, you just have to do a little cutting. Seems like the T1000 hanger ought to work. I’d go with a Safariland pattern plate if your holster allows 

E2718AC0-2265-4B24-8B29-46864C76317B.thumb.jpeg.3c2f68b399f5d185b6da5928da51b76f.jpeg39975DC5-CD8A-4E16-95B1-1C45651EB315.thumb.jpeg.68b85c0bfef8565e7073e8346d63f5fd.jpeg

1 hour ago, jpeters11 said:

I bought one to try and I’m not a huge fan of the angle, not as extreme as I’d like, probably great for others. 

As for holsters and hangers, you just have to do a little cutting. Seems like the T1000 hanger ought to work. I’d go with a Safariland pattern plate if your holster allows 

A little cutting? Looks like you had to cut off a good bit of the holster, including one of the mounting points on the boss hanger. 

2 hours ago, jpeters11 said:

E2718AC0-2265-4B24-8B29-46864C76317B.thumb.jpeg.3c2f68b399f5d185b6da5928da51b76f.jpeg39975DC5-CD8A-4E16-95B1-1C45651EB315.thumb.jpeg.68b85c0bfef8565e7073e8346d63f5fd.jpeg

Looks good.

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

A little cutting? Looks like you had to cut off a good bit of the holster, including one of the mounting points on the boss hanger. 

Not as much cutting as I’ve done for SSI nitrofins in the past.
DAA didn’t require as much 

3 minutes ago, jpeters11 said:

Not as much cutting as I’ve done for SSI nitrofins in the past.
DAA didn’t require as much 

It’s all subjective, however, most people would consider it more than a “little cutting” when you start hacking structural parts off the hanger….

Edited by Rich406

On 11/26/2022 at 7:15 PM, oddjob said:

Has anyone here seen the folding thumb test from Odin??

I really want to try one - but I just can't seem to get myself to hit the "Pay Now" button. I'm hesitant because it will necessitate me changing my grip a good bit - I grip my left hand pretty high/far out on the gun, the end of my left thumb and trigger finger align on either side of the frame when extended. I built this grip years ago after watching a Todd Jarrett video on how he grips his gun and he made a point about your thumb and trigger finger aligning on the frame, and its stuck with me ever since. This thumb rest is built for people who use a lower weak hand grip, so I don't know if I want to change how I grip a pistol (how I've been doing it for 15+ years) just for one part on one gun...

2 hours ago, bulldog009 said:

I really want to try one - but I just can't seem to get myself to hit the "Pay Now" button. I'm hesitant because it will necessitate me changing my grip a good bit - I grip my left hand pretty high/far out on the gun, the end of my left thumb and trigger finger align on either side of the frame when extended. I built this grip years ago after watching a Todd Jarrett video on how he grips his gun and he made a point about your thumb and trigger finger aligning on the frame, and its stuck with me ever since. This thumb rest is built for people who use a lower weak hand grip, so I don't know if I want to change how I grip a pistol (how I've been doing it for 15+ years) just for one part on one gun...

I wouldn't say "weaker grip", Just a different way of locking your wrist. This style of locking is common with open shooters, but not everyone uses thumb rests.

All down to preference.

I’m in a slightly similar situation. I got used to one grip style using a totally different thumb rest and this one is simply different. 

however, I just took a class and it was pointed out that I use the thumb rest too much and let my support hand lose it’s grip. So I’ve been taking this time while I wait to practice without a thumb rest and building my support hand grip again. The hope is to add the new Odin and have the best of both worlds and shoot better. Time will tell though. 

11 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

I wouldn't say "weaker grip", Just a different way of locking your wrist. This style of locking is common with open shooters, but not everyone uses thumb rests.

All down to preference.

I meant "weak" as in your weak, non-dominate, hand - mot that the grip is any "weaker". I know a lot of open shooters use it, I've just never been one of them. I've done a lot of dry firing with that alternate grip, and I don't feel like I'm getting as much out of my left (weak side) hand as compared to my normal, more wrist locked grip. 

Edited by bulldog009