Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too much?

Rich406

Being a lefty, I've never had much opportunity to run a *thumb rest [generic]* on a pistol.  Plus, I try to keep my match guns and work guns, pretty similar.  I ran my brand spanking new Grayguns Lockwood Edition tonight at an IDPA match and I'm beginning to think I've wasted a lot of $$ on high end 1911s the last 10 years......

Just needs a bright color. I like pedals, I run a thumb rest [generic] *thumb rest [generic]* on 2 of my sigs. Not sure how necessary it is for me on a comped 9 shooting sub minor. I like it more for repetition. my thumb rest on it nicely and helps me repeat hold. This one isn't the prettiest but if it feels good...

9 hours ago, oddjob said:

Who made it?  What holster do you run with it?

It’s made by Odin armory.  They’ve been making a similar thumbrest for awhile, but I didn’t mess with it before because there were no holsters that worked and were USPSA legal. However the new DAA Max holster fits with minimal trimming. 

Tevo's version is almost out. Further back and a different angle. It would be interesting to compare performance.

Let us know how you like the man-o-war from Odin. Thumb rests are definitely personal preference if they work for you or not.

But seems Odin is now calling out Tevo on Instagram for "copying" their design for the P320. Even though Tevo has been making thumbrests for years and Odin just started this year. To each their own. 🤷‍♂️ Drama...

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if USPSA finally allows race holsters in all divisions soon enough.

Edited by mrvip27

2 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Tevo's version is almost out. Further back and a different angle. It would be interesting to compare performance.

Let us know how you like the man-o-war from Odin. Thumb rests are definitely personal preference if they work for you or not.

But seems Odin is now calling out Tevo on Instagram for "copying" their design for the P320. Even though Tevo has been making thumbrests for years and Odin just started this year. To each their own. 🤷‍♂️ Drama...

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if USPSA finally allows race holsters in all divisions soon enough.

I didn’t know tevo was working on one. It’s pretty similar for sure. Theirs also looks closer to the grip and an increased angle. I’m not sure I’d like that. The Odin is a bit cramped IMO, and the tevo has less room. I’ll have to check it out when released. 

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

I didn’t know tevo was working on one. It’s pretty similar for sure. Theirs also looks closer to the grip and an increased angle. I’m not sure I’d like that. The Odin is a bit cramped IMO, and the tevo has less room. I’ll have to check it out when released. 

Tevo is def going for the US open gun feel vs the ipsc/european style

31 minutes ago, fireman1776 said:

I’m intrigued. The Tevo seems so far back. I’d be curious for someone to compare the two. Also wonder how much modification I’d have to do to my Gx holster. 

Because of where the gx attaches to the hanger, I doubt a gx would work 

17 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Because of where the gx attaches to the hanger, I doubt a gx would work 

Ya good catch. I looked closer and it wouldn't work. Not willing to buy an entirely new holster and/or hanger to try it out. I need to remind myself that top level CO guys don't use 'em and Nils won with a Canik.... LOL

4 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

Ya good catch. I looked closer and it wouldn't work. Not willing to buy an entirely new holster and/or hanger to try it out. I need to remind myself that top level CO guys don't use 'em and Nils won with a Canik.... LOL

it doesn’t come close to fitting the GX or probably any other kydex holster.  

As to using thumbrest, I’d say that the vast majority of p320s I see at matches have some type of thumbrest installed. Now that there is one available for the shadow2, I’m sure you’ll see a lot more of those in the future as well.

They do add something, how much is probably an individual thing.  

70A5CA7A-CEF0-4E87-9579-21DDDA4D3C12.jpeg

Edited by Rich406

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

it doesn’t come close to fitting the GX or probably any other kydex holster.  

As to using thumbrest, I’d say that the vast majority of p320s I see at matches have some type of thumbrest installed. Now that there is one available for the shadow2, I’m sure you’ll see a lot more of those in the future as well.

They do add something, how much is probably an individual thing.  

70A5CA7A-CEF0-4E87-9579-21DDDA4D3C12.jpeg

I tried the Align Tactical one and I did notice a slight difference but I found myself having to tweak my grip too much to make it work. I was having to rotate my wrist a little further forward than was comfortable. But these new ones don't seem like that would be an issue. The Tevo might work with my holster since it sits further back. 

So my Odin just came in and I honestly like the fell. Granted that’s in dry fire from no holster as mine doesn’t work. I just ordered a hell fighter holster that is supposed to work. I believe they are working with Odin as a “partner” thing. I could be wrong though. A buddy of mine said he got his RHT to work with a little dremel work and damn near taking the screws out. I couldn’t. 

with that being said, hopefully I’ll be able to give it a full try in three weeks. RHT did say they could do it but it would run about $250. 

On 11/22/2022 at 10:41 PM, RangerTrace said:

Being a lefty

Odin is making a lefty version. Lol. 

I know what you mean about wanting to keep match guns and work guns similar. I tried that… then fell down the rabbit hole and I can’t find the top again hahahah. That’s why I went with an sig to begin with. Now I have to practice with my competition rig and then finish with my carry so my thumb remember where to go 😂

19 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

Now I have to practice with my competition rig and then finish with my carry so my thumb remember where to go 😂

That's probably a good idea regardless. Not that I do it all that often... lol...

1 hour ago, ddc said:

That's probably a good idea regardless. Not that I do it all that often... lol...

To be fair, I only do I because I went months practicing hard and never practiced with my carry platform. Then I grabbed it one night and felt completely lost holding it. It shocked me a lot and made me realize I wasn’t doing myself justice. 

20 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

with that being said, hopefully I’ll be able to give it a full try in three weeks. RHT did say they could do it but it would run about $250. 

he adds on an extra $100 to fit to an Odin thumbrest. Seems excessive…

4 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

he adds on an extra $100 to fit to an Odin thumbrest. Seems excessive…

He made a post a while back about it on IG. said he had 15 hours of labor into it and wasn’t done yet. Idk how he tracks his hours or what all the process is to begin with. So I won’t say it’s far from accurate or not but he did say it was being priced according to hours spent on the job. 

HF ran me $135 I believe which is comparable to many other quality holsters IMO.