Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal trigger weight for 9mm AR PCC

The only time I have heard of too light of a trigger being an issue is the gun doubles or goes Auto.  I have heard of this happening with Trigger Tech Diamond triggers in Blow back PCCs when the trigger is set less than 2 pounds.  I never had any issues with my Trigger Tech Diamond trigger when it was set to just under 2 pounds, but I heard as the round count increased it became an issue with those triggers.  I replaced the Diamond with their PCC designated trigger and it works fine.  The trigger return is a bit more forceful with that trigger than the Diamond version.  It pulls at about 3 lbs.  It seems that many use triggers between 2 and 3 pounds depending on the trigger.  

Typically people are more worried about trigger reset strength in regards to PCC triggers.  Some feel they want the trigger to push the trigger finger forward to help prevent trigger freeze.  I do not care about return strength because I completely remove my finger from the trigger during reset when slapping the trigger fast. I am currently running a Geissele SD-3G trigger in my JP5 due to not being able to run Cassette triggers in the JP5.  Works great.

In the future I may try to play with fitting a TT Diamond trigger in the JP5 but it would require modifying the trigger which I do not know it that would be possible without compromising the trigger.  I would like to get closer to 2 pounds.

6 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

The only time I have heard of too light of a trigger being an issue is the gun doubles or goes Auto.  I have heard of this happening with Trigger Tech Diamond triggers in Blow back PCCs when the trigger is set less than 2 pounds.  I never had any issues with my Trigger Tech Diamond trigger when it was set to just under 2 pounds, but I heard as the round count increased it became an issue with those triggers.  I replaced the Diamond with their PCC designated trigger and it works fine.  The trigger return is a bit more forceful with that trigger than the Diamond version.  It pulls at about 3 lbs.  It seems that many use triggers between 2 and 3 pounds depending on the trigger.  

Typically people are more worried about trigger reset strength in regards to PCC triggers.  Some feel they want the trigger to push the trigger finger forward to help prevent trigger freeze.  I do not care about return strength because I completely remove my finger from the trigger during reset when slapping the trigger fast. I am currently running a Geissele SD-3G trigger in my JP5 due to not being able to run Cassette triggers in the JP5.  Works great.

In the future I may try to play with fitting a TT Diamond trigger in the JP5 but it would require modifying the trigger which I do not know it that would be possible without compromising the trigger.  I would like to get closer to 2 pounds.

Presumably the AR gold triggers won't fit the JP5 because of their design?

11 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

Presumably the AR gold triggers won't fit the JP5 because of their design?

I believe so.  Any Cassette/Cartridge trigger is going to have issues due to the design of the ejector in the JP5.  Max wrote up a rather extensive post about triggers you can use in the JP5.  Worth the read if you have one or intend to buy one.  

From this thread:  

Edited by Boomstick303

My PDI pulls at just under 2 pounds. If not fully shouldered it will easily bump fire. It happened to me once, during a match, when I switched shoulders and had my finger ready to fire as I shouldered. Luckily I was on target when it triple tapped. I’ve adjusted my technique anf it hasn’t happened since. But in answer to the original question, I would say 2 pounds is to light (for me). 

On 11/21/2022 at 11:08 AM, Boomstick303 said:

What would need to be modified about it? Is the JP5 lower housing more narrow or something?

On 11/26/2022 at 1:00 PM, avastcosmicarena said:

What would need to be modified about it? Is the JP5 lower housing more narrow or something?

As I mentioned above.

"Any Cassette/Cartridge trigger is going to have issues due to the design of the ejector in the JP5."

You would have to remove material from the left top side of the of the cassette/cartridge, so it does not interfere with the ejector rocking arm.  Most likely you will not be able to remove enough material without affecting and/or possibly damaging the trigger.

The specs of the lower seems to allow the installation of any normal AR trigger, i.e. the normal trigger hammer assembly you find in milspec triggers.