Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Porting an R8

Makicjf

If you load your cartridges lighter, it accomplishes exactly what Porting does on any revolver...except bigger high pressure calibers (454 Casull)

I own one 627 stock and one with a Shilen barrel and integral compensator.

Porting just releases gas after the bullet passes whereas a compensators baffle actually deflect gasses.

Pix too big to download, DM me for pix

Jason:

I got mine Magnaported.  They remove the barrel and cut its port(s) then cut the same in the shroud.  Costs a little more and you sign a waiver because of the scandium used in the TRR-8.  I guess it can get dodgy to work with.

Yes, it works.  Even with light loads.  I think it is worth the money but ported revolvers aren't allowed in some venues so be sure it will still be legal if you use it for sport.

GG

I was going to recommend Mag-na-port but GG beat me to it. I've had a couple of the 360PDs done for customers. They have a similar barrel construction to the TR-8 and the work was well done. Call Mag-Na-Port and discuss the different porting options to  see if one will work for you.

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

Does it really reduce muzzle flip?

YR:

The TRR-8 is so light that it beats itself up from the recoil.  It is noticeable big time and you get tired of shooting it because it has a sharp recoil that fatigues you.  Or at least it fatigued me and I am not a 95 pound weakling.  The Magnaporting I got reduces the recoil and with less recoil you have less muzzle flip.

Story for you and it is my fault but it really shows the difference between a scandium frame and a steel one.  I was shooting a SC with the TRR-8 and just got done with a stage.  Opened the cylinder and ejected the cases.  Then saw one bullet sticking out of a chamber.  I had used those loads in my 627's for over a year and never had a bullet get pulled like a kinetic bullet puller.  The light weight of the TRR-8 caused a much sharper and abrupt recoil and it pulled a bullet.  A PITA to pound it back out too.

Since the porting, no problems but yes, I started crimping a bit more too.

GG