Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSF vs N350 for 9mm

Orion1

I loaded my first 115gr 9mm rounds with WSF. I've read a lot of comments on other forums where shooters seemed to generally prefer Vihtavuori N350 over WSF. Is there a general explanation for this? Is Vihtavuori powders cleaner or more accurate (on average), easier to load, etc than WSF? I see the price for this powder is also higher than WSF per pound. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

6 hours ago, Orion1 said:

I loaded my first 115gr 9mm rounds with WSF. I've read a lot of comments on other forums where shooters seemed to generally prefer Vihtavuori N350 over WSF. Is there a general explanation for this? Is Vihtavuori powders cleaner or more accurate (on average), easier to load, etc than WSF? I see the price for this powder is also higher than WSF per pound. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I've never used WSF, so I can't comment on how well it loads or the performance it produces.  However, I have used VV for MANY years and have found the recommended powders for my 9mm loads to always produce EXCELLENT results being loaded through the Dillon XL650s and the RL1100.  It has also been recommend to me by very experienced loaders and manufacturers in the business to use VV N320, N330, or N340 for anything from 115g to 147g and above shooting standard velocities.  If you download the VV reloading data, you can see info for several powders depending on the velocity you desire.

IMO, and after using it a while instead of N320, the N330 is an awesome powder that provides excellent results and will work with about any bullet weight you can use.

HTHs

👍

PS:  Some good info on VV powders...............

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

A couple of burn rate charts I looked at show WSF as a faster powder than N350 so a direct comparison is difficult.  It appears to be between N330 or N340.  VV powders are (in my experience) clean burning and meter well.  For 9 MM standard loads N320 and N330 IMHO are more common. 

What about the WSF makes you want to change?