Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes the best ignition kit for 1911

Gunsbygiz

1 hour ago, Explosiveo said:

It’s not the arrow it’s the Indian if you know what I mean.

Actually no I don’t know what you mean… starting off with better quality and fitting internals will result in a cleaner and more consistent trigger… then yes I can tune it and so after… but I’m asking what brand do others have experience with.

1 minute ago, Gunsbygiz said:

Actually no I don’t know what you mean… starting off with better quality and fitting internals will result in a cleaner and more consistent trigger… then yes I can tune it and so after… but I’m asking what brand do others have experience with.

I was kidding.

48 minutes ago, Rjracing said:

I’ve tried EGW, Wilson Combat, Atlas and Cylinder&Slide…. Cylinder&slide has the lightest, Atlas had the most crisp and EGW/WC were both an improvement over factory parts too. 

Doesn’t Atlas use EGW parts?

I've used EGW and Wilson bullet proof, both are good options. I started using Harrison Design years ago when everyone else was out of stock. My experience is, that the quality, in both appearance and function, are top notch. I like my triggers at 2.5#, and HD make this an easy process to adjust, and they hold their fit after thousands of rounds each year. Annually, I tear down and do a complete cleaning, and while I have it apart, I lightly stone the trigger and sear. My go to trigger.

5 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

I've used EGW and Wilson bullet proof, both are good options. I started using Harrison Design years ago when everyone else was out of stock. My experience is, that the quality, in both appearance and function, are top notch. I like my triggers at 2.5#, and HD make this an easy process to adjust, and they hold their fit after thousands of rounds each year. Annually, I tear down and do a complete cleaning, and while I have it apart, I lightly stone the trigger and sear. My go to trigger.

Thank you very much 

How well a really good ignition kit works in your gun is determined by how well your holes were machined.  If they are perfect, an EGW or Brazos kit will drop right in and work.  Note:  the Brazos kit does not include a disco, so make sure you order one.

Cylinder & Slide kits (made by Extreme Engineering) usually need a little work.  My experience is the hammer hooks are a tad too short.  Easily fixed, but not drop in.

I prefer a True Radius nose on my sears.  I buy long EGW sears and profile them myself.  If you don't have the jig, or do not want to buy one, you can buy a TR sear from Harrison Design.  Be advised, the Harrison sears are the fattest around.  If you wear out your TS, you will have no alternative to fitting a new one.  I start with an EGW sear.  If the TS wears I can go to an Extreme Engineering sear and refit the safety.  Next would be a Harrison.  Sears are cheap.  Ambi thumb safeties are not.

I DO NOT like SVI kits unless you are dropping it into an SVI pistol.  Ed Brown you can keep.  Never used Wilson.

On 11/19/2022 at 11:04 PM, bokbok_2020 said:

Been using EGW Sear, Disconnector and Koenig hammer for more than 6 years now. Consistent and reliable.

EGW Sear, Disconnector and Koenig hammer in all my 2011s and 1911s.  No issues at all.  Doug Koenig is a fantastic shooter and good dude, and commented to me one time, "Nice Hammer!"  

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a couple STI frames where the pin holes aren't right. If you try to drop something into them you'll just be running on one hammer hook. It's a pretty big PIA to get it working right. If one of those guns ever needs a new trigger I'm going to try the Nighthawk setup where it's all contained so my s#!tty pin holes don't matter. But, I think they only yield a 3 lbs trigger or so. Really, that's fine but it's not spectacular. It's a cool concept.