Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Trigger really is surprisingly good on the Canik Rival

GigG

4 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

Wait until you try a freedomsmith https://imgur.com/a/MrB11jC

I haven't had my Rival apart to the point that I fully understand how the trigger system functions. Other than the front of the trigger what does it change? Their website only says "Reduces pre travel and over travel."  I can see where there is room to reduce the pre-travel, there really isn't much over-travel.

Edited by GigG

34 minutes ago, GigG said:

I haven't had my Rival apart to the point that I fully understand how the trigger system functions. Other than the front of the trigger what does it change? Their website only says "Reduces pre travel and over travel."  I can see where there is room to reduce the pre-travel, there really isn't much over-travel.

It takes up a lot of the pretravel thats it. Shoot it with the stock trigger see how you like it. You don't need the Freedomsmith trigger unless a little more pretravel bothers you.. Nils cleaned the field in Prod, LTD and CO  using the stock Rival trigger..

Edited by bigtimelarry

What I do like about the actual trigger shoe in the Rival is the full width safety blade. In the Freedom Smith trigger the safety blade is a thin blade in the center of the shoe.

Give me the OEM Rival trigger shoe with less take up and that's a home run!

Just sayin!

1 hour ago, bigtimelarry said:

It takes up a lot of the pretravel thats it. Shoot it with the stock trigger see how you like it. You don't need the Freedomsmith trigger unless a little more pretravel bothers you.. Nils cleaned the field in Prod, LTD and CO  using the stock Rival trigger..

You are exactly right. The Freedomsmith trigger is completely a personal preference thing.

6 hours ago, GigG said:

Over travel seems about the same. Pre travel is greatly reduced. 

5 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

Yeah I have another rival with the stock trigger and just changed some springs. It’s still really good but the travel is far but what really kills me is mine seems to have a false wall that bugs me. It’s smooth than hits a gritty spot then smooth again to the wall. 

4 hours ago, pcar157 said:

What I do like about the actual trigger shoe in the Rival is the full width safety blade. In the Freedom Smith trigger the safety blade is a thin blade in the center of the shoe.

Give me the OEM Rival trigger shoe with less take up and that's a home run!

Just sayin!

I fully agree. I wish there was a way to combined the two. 

8 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Who cares about pre travel. If your prepping the trigger correctly you only have it when doing the first shot after draw or reload. The rest of the time you bring trigger forward enough to reset and thats it. 

I don't shoot off reset. But thanks for the tip..

9 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Who cares about pre travel. If your prepping the trigger correctly you only have it when doing the first shot after draw or reload. The rest of the time you bring trigger forward enough to reset and thats it. 

Sure really great shooters like nils don’t need the heat of the best to win. However I’m not nils and there’s a reason top shooters everywhere search out the best trigger possible. A little pre travel is totally fine with me but IMO the rival has a little to much and the freedomsmith is perfect. $80 bucks well spent IMO.