Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Max slide assembly…….is it worth it ?

Daslinger

I’ve owned about 25 Sig’s and I have about 18 now. I’m no expert but I think the LIMITED EDITION P320 Max slide assembly……is very questionable.

I suspect there may have been something wrong with mine. The gold barrel and slide do not play well together. Gun had trouble going into battery. It seemed like the slide and barrel fit was too tight. Accuracy and function were terrible. Slide wouldn’t go forward enough well over 50% of the time. Even in dry fire trigger was dead sometimes due to slide not going all the way into battery. And then a long delay……….and it would go forward and finally get there. 

Sig had sold out the lot of 300, and then a little while later I saw availability for one “limited edition.”

I wish it was MORE limited. If it was more limited and I couldn’t get one……then I wouldn’t have wasted my money !

Did I get a known problematic slide assembly…..and they just sold me someone else’s returned slide assembly.

I love Sig…………but the “Limited Edition didn’t work out for me”. (Did they have a bunch of messed up gold barrels they wanted to get rid of ?)

Edited by Daslinger

10 hours ago, Daslinger said:

I’ve owned about 25 Sig’s and I have about 18 now. I’m no expert but I think the LIMITED EDITION P320 Max slide assembly……is very questionable.

I suspect there may have been something wrong with mine. The gold barrel and slide do not play well together. Gun had trouble going into battery. It seemed like the slide and barrel fit was too tight. Accuracy and function were terrible. Slide wouldn’t go forward enough well over 50% of the time. Even in dry fire trigger was dead sometimes due to slide not going all the way into battery. And then a long delay……….and it would go forward and finally get there. 

Sig had sold out the lot of 300, and then a little while later I saw availability for one “limited edition.”

I wish it was MORE limited. If it was more limited and I couldn’t get one……then I wouldn’t have wasted my money !

Did I get a known problematic slide assembly…..and they just sold me someone else’s returned slide assembly.

I love Sig…………but the “Limited Edition didn’t work out for me”. (Did they have a bunch of messed up gold barrels they wanted to get rid of ?)

Maybe because it doesn't work properly they called it a limited edition?😉

I’ve got one and had no issues. cleaned it and lubed it, even run an 11 lb recoil spring in mine and it’s great. The lock up between the barrel and slide is certainly tighter tha. Most legion X5s. It’s almost on par with my original X5s. , accuracy is as well. I thought it was a decent deal considering the dot itself sells for 600 bucks, and it’s by far the best red dot I’ve ever used, and I’ve ran them all just about. 

On 11/23/2022 at 6:27 PM, Blaize said:

I’ve got one and had no issues. cleaned it and lubed it, even run an 11 lb recoil spring in mine and it’s great. The lock up between the barrel and slide is certainly tighter tha. Most legion X5s. It’s almost on par with my original X5s. , accuracy is as well. I thought it was a decent deal considering the dot itself sells for 600 bucks, and it’s by far the best red dot I’ve ever used, and I’ve ran them all just about. 

Glad it worked for you. I sent mine back to Sig…….hopefully it comes back better.

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2022 at 9:23 PM, Daslinger said:

More than likely it is the TiN finish on the barrel.  I purchased a Killer Innovation TiN barrel with an aftermarket Norsso slide to create a Comped 9mm setup for 3Gun/2 Gun and once assembled I had the same exact issues.  So much so, it was almost impossible to get the gun field stripped.  I went onto the innerwebs and found a post from Killer Innovations that this could be an issue with some of their new barrels.  It indicated to use Axel grease for a break in period.  It seem to do the trick as the gun runs fine now.  

I do not think TiN is an ideal coating for Fire arms and I will no longer purchase components with that coating.  After buying these components in some discussions with other shooters they indicated that the TiN coating tends to wear other parts quicker when in contact with that coating .  I am inclined to believe this on how the gun was froze up on initial assembly.  I do not shoot that gun enough to see how quick items like the slide will wear during normal operation.  It is something I will keep an eye on. 

One good thing that did come out of it is that the barrel and the slide seemed to have been lapped together and the lock up of the gun is better than most 5" P320s I own.  

Got it back from Sig. Runs fine now. But now I also have a Gray Guns 4.7” Lockwood slide (zebra…gets lots of attention). Complete Gray Guns gun, which I prefer to the Max.

However the Gray Guns gun came with a Romeo 2, so getting used to that.

I guess I’m staying with the Romeo 2, as I picked up. P226 X Five Classic, and mounted a Romeo 2. The P226 from 20 yds is almost as accurate as a rifle !

Trying to get a P226 STAS for competition for “Limited Optics” in the future.

Who sells higher capacity mags for the 226 X Five ? Or mag extensions ?

Edited by Daslinger