Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing protection

Revofan

I work construction for a living and threw out the 25+ yrs of noise and shooting sports as I age my hearing is getting more sensitive I cannot shoot my open gun without pain/discomfort/ringing I use custom made molded ear plugs and still have to wear some muffs over them to not feel that way 
I’m looking for a good set of muffs so i don’t have to double up ? 

any ideas would be great 

i like the pro ears 300.  they go over your ears (vs sitting on like the leights) and are comfortable and relatively quiet.  i have no need to double up whether shooting my open gun or ar15 (or hunting rifles with brakes etc).

IAW my ear doctor,, plugs arnt as good as muffs, despite the noise rating. He said the muffs block noise from around the ear as well as the canal. 
I am marine engineer, wear muffs daily. I only use the wire framed 3m muffs. They hold together longer and dont stick out like alot of plastic framed ones. Depending on boat I use different NRR ratings.
I have been using the 95's for rimfire and light loads.. which is most of my shooting.
I liked the 105's back when I was RO for USPSA,, Id still tend to plug and muff for open guys. The 105's do get hotter and are bulkier than the 95's... They also have a 98 which splits the difference evidently.
Have ZERO use for electronic doodad gadgets.. Wanna talk to me speak up.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000062872/

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000062875/

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b00037399/

I'm not an ENT or audiologist, but I've had ongoing issues with my ears and have seen several medical professionals about it. The consensus is simple, if you care about the health of your ears and plan to do shooting long term, you NEED to double up on hearing protection. It sucks, it's uncomfortable, it's inconvenient- but tinnitus and progressive hearing loss are much more so. Dont screw around with your hearing. Double up. 

For in the ears the best you can get is custom molded hearing protection- done professionally. Not the 10 dollar ones you do at home. Go see an audiologist and have them take molds of your ear, and have them made for you. For muffs get something high quality, I like gel cups because they dont cause as much pain and they seal better around the eye pro. 

I'm probably a 3rd of the age of most people on here- so I'm thinking more about long term noise exposure here. Even if you're on the older side this isn't something to take lightly- discomfort for a few hours out of the week is better than discomfort 24/7. Rant over 

57 minutes ago, CC3D said:

I'm not an ENT or audiologist, but I've had ongoing issues with my ears and have seen several medical professionals about it. The consensus is simple, if you care about the health of your ears and plan to do shooting long term, you NEED to double up on hearing protection. It sucks, it's uncomfortable, it's inconvenient- but tinnitus and progressive hearing loss are much more so. Dont screw around with your hearing. Double up. 

For in the ears the best you can get is custom molded hearing protection- done professionally. Not the 10 dollar ones you do at home. Go see an audiologist and have them take molds of your ear, and have them made for you. For muffs get something high quality, I like gel cups because they dont cause as much pain and they seal better around the eye pro. 

I'm probably a 3rd of the age of most people on here- so I'm thinking more about long term noise exposure here. Even if you're on the older side this isn't something to take lightly- discomfort for a few hours out of the week is better than discomfort 24/7. Rant over 

I hear what your saying 

It feels fine when I double up just didn’t know if there was a good pair of muffs that I didn’t have to dbl up with maybe electronic or something 

18 minutes ago, Revofan said:

I hear what your saying 

It feels fine when I double up just didn’t know if there was a good pair of muffs that I didn’t have to dbl up with maybe electronic or something 

Unfortunately not, especially if you're shooting open major. There are some really great brands out there- the Sordin's specifically come to mind, out of my price range but everyone I know that has them loves them. I have walkers (non electronic) with gel cups, that in addition to in ear does the job for me. I know the Howard Leights are very popular but in my opinion the quality of protection they give is pretty poor.