Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Gun Build

Flyin40

Heres my first attempt at a gun build. Had a lot of fun doing it. Its still in the raw with no finish yet. Thinking of hard chroming it with a nice set of wood grips. I didn't do any trigger work on it besides polishing the sides of the hammer and sear. It comes in at 5.5 lbs and I want it around 4lbs. I have alot of work to do on it yet, need to blend the mainspring housing some more, also need to blend around the trigger guard some more.

I have to hand file all the sharp edges on the slide and frame. I already did the whole gun but I decided to go over it again and put a little more bevel to it for looks. Slide to frame fit turned out good, very smooth. :D

Caspian slide, slide work done by the smith and sight cuts and sights installed by the smith.

Caspian frame with tactical magwell.

Shoots well, I haven't really put it through an accuracy test yet, just a function test, 200rds with zero malfunctions. I shot it at about 15ft and it shot 2-3in. grps off hand with no support. I forgot what it was like to shoot iron sights. :D:D

Flyin40

post-5017-1134356179_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Walmart sells a real nice screwdriver set made by Pachmayr for about $11.00 that looks like it might have come in real handy for you. These are found in the gun section.

Just take off the sharp edges, don't work the file too hard. It's hard to put metal back.

Edited by Tim R

Well I finally put it one paper last week at 20 yds. All I can say is the gun shoots better than I can. Every grp had one flyer which was fron me. I'm not that good at shooting grps but its something I'm working on.

I shot 4 grps of 5 shots

Grps were as follows

1.453 in

1.909 in

3.007 in

1.750 in

4 grp avg. 2.029in

The last grp was 20 shots at 7yds. It was 4.139 inches.

It was 10 shots reload and 10 shots. I shot fast but seen the front sight every time.

Now I have 100% confidence in the accuracy of the gun. I was even shooting plates at 25yds with it. Did fairly well too.

Now I can't blame the gun for mikes :o:lol::blink:

Also I have yet to have a malfunction in it. Thousands of rounds so far.

I did make some changes, the Chip McCormick ambi safety broke almost immediately. I knew as soon as I took it out of the package it wasn't going to last. I went with a Wilson. Lefties and safeties dont' mix well. I disengaged the grip safety now that this gun will be used to IPSC. I switched the sear spring to a Nowlin and now the trigger pull is 3 1/2 pds. I made some adjustments to it.

BSeevers tried the trigger at the match and really like it. Its nice and crisp. Its adjusted now with no takeup or overtravel. I might change this and add alittle takeup. Not sure yet.

I compared it to my newly built limited gun and its just as tight. When I fit the slide to frame I messed up a little intially but it turned out well. Rock solid and smooth.

Flyin40

post-5017-1137518396_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flyin40

sounds good, looks excellent, shoots great, How about building me one? :lol: I which I had that much talent :(

I'll leave that too the professionals, the ones that really know what they are doing unlike me. I was merely taught how to do it. The real talent is the guys who busted knuckles, sweat and blood to learn how to build them right. I just followed. Though after the expeirence I'm quite confident in my ablitly to work on my gun. No more shipping the gun to the smith for minor work. I think I will build another gun. I'm thinking of a high cap Springfield for my wife. Not sure though. I'll have to think about it abit.

Flyin40

sounds good, looks excellent, shoots great, How about building me one? :lol: I which I had that much talent :(

I'll leave that too the professionals, the ones that really know what they are doing unlike me. I was merely taught how to do it. The real talent is the guys who busted knuckles, sweat and blood to learn how to build them right. I just followed. Though after the expeirence I'm quite confident in my ablitly to work on my gun. No more shipping the gun to the smith for minor work. I think I will build another gun. I'm thinking of a high cap Springfield for my wife. Not sure though. I'll have to think about it abit.

Flyin40

I had a S.A. high-cap build last year, most the par-ord stuff will fit, along with other manufactures, went with dawson tip and bomar adj. rear, brown rod and mag.release, dawson ice funnel (BIG) after some magazine issues, par, meggar both work, after tuning the mag, dawson and grams pads work great, had to polish (trim) the slide release a little to get it to work, But it doe's shoot great (it out shoot's me) but unlike yourself I had to have all this work done by a smithy, when I retire I'd like to take a course on gun-smithing and maybe be a better shooter, But till then I'm stuck. Build her the s.a. if it turns out anything like this one it'll be great. (footnote) yea I'm still want a s.a. tgo 40S&W, but I don't think they are going to build it. GOOD LUCK!!! :D

• 1 month later...

Well I just received my gun back today from Tripp Research from getting hardchromed. I'm really impressed with Tripp. It turned out really well. I messed up a few places building this gun. One place is the magwell. You can see where there is a slight gap between the grip and well. I put some nicks in it fitting frame and slide and the vice nicked the well. I spent alot of time getting them out. Ended up looking good. I couldn't of ask for the gun to end up better than the final product.

The only thing that is left is the back sight needs a finish put on it.

Flyin40

post-5017-1140760926.jpg post-5017-1140760858.jpg post-5017-1140760218.jpg post-5017-1140760202.jpg

post-5017-1140760188.jpg post-5017-1140760806.jpg post-5017-1140760162.jpg

post-5017-1140763011.jpg

Edited by Flyin40

Took it too the range today and it performed beautifully. Not a hiccup, I really like the finish Tripp put on it.

Caspian slide and frame, not sure who did the slide work, the guy I got the slide from had it done.

Kart barrel

Wilson ambi

McCormick beavertail, sear and hammer

The trigger came out of a Kimber I had, I orignally had a very short trigger, just too uncomfortable to shoot. I have long fingers. I just switched my Open gun and Limited gun to long triggers. Makes a difference.

I found the grips at a gun show for $20. I just picked them up because they were so cheap. I plan on getting another set, just not sure what set.

Flyin40

• 2 weeks later...