Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival TF Brass Backstrap & mags not dropping as well.

GigG

29 minutes ago, GigG said:

I installed a TF Brass backstrap today and immediately noticed mags not ejecting as easily.  Anyone else have this problem? 

I don't run a magwell and noticed if I tightened the screw too much it pushed on the grip a bit. When I get his backstrap, I take the screw out brakeclean

it and the strap, put fresh loctite 242 and screw it in til it's not quite flush or protruding thru then put it on my gun and i'm good to go.  I have 4 of his backstraps.

Edited by bigtimelarry

17 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

I don't run a magwell and noticed if I tightened the screw too much it pushed on the grip a bit. When I get his backstrap, I take the screw out brakeclean

it and the strap, put fresh loctite 242 and screw it in til it's not quite flush or protruding thru then put it on my gun and i'm good to go.  I have 4 of his backstraps.

Wait are you saying you run the magwell screw without the magwell installed?

6 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

Are you supposed to do that? I just leave the screw out.

Probably doesn't matter. But when i bought the first one, i wasn't sure so I called Robin Taylor himself and asked him what do i do and he said leave it in

there even if you don't use the magwell. I think it was just to keep dirt out or who knows. But I just went with what he said.

1 minute ago, bigtimelarry said:

Probably doesn't matter. But when i bought the first one, i wasn't sure so I called Robin Taylor himself and asked him what do i do and he said leave it in

there even if you don't use the magwell. I think it was just to keep dirt out or who knows. But I just went with what he said.

Fair enough. 

Noticed this as well with my rival. I'm thinking it has something to do with how the TF backstrap puts pressure on the frame because it doesn't just slide up like the factory one. I'm hopeful it will wear in and be fine. 

Good news.  I left a mag in the Rival for a couple of days and the problem seemed to clear itself up.  I did nothing other than that and all the mags seem to drop free with no problems now.

I installed mine a couple days ago. 

There’s a set screw in the back of the back strap that I noticed if screwed in too much it pushes the frame itself in. I backed mine out prettyh far and it’s fine. I’m not really even sure why that’s there because it still uses the pin. 

18 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

There’s a set screw in the back of the back strap that I noticed if screwed in too much it pushes the frame itself in. I backed mine out prettyh far and it’s fine. I’m not really even sure why that’s there because it still uses the pin. 

Uhhh Yeah... Read the 3rd post down...

4 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

Mine doesn't even have the magwell scew in it and it's tight dropping mags with the TF back strap.

5 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

Uhhh Yeah... Read the 3rd post down...

So I read that post before I had got mine in. When you were talking about the screw I thought you meant the screw for the actual magwell. That’s why i was wondering why you run it with the screw in. It all makes sense now after I got mine.