Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I forget, what did we not like about gen3 guns?

rowdyb

4 hours ago, RePete said:

How did it work out?

It was a fun exercise and nostalgic. It is very close to the gun I shot in 2012. Minus 2 parts I didn't feel like doing. 

But if I built it as more than nostalgia I'd get a gen 5.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

It was a fun exercise and nostalgic. It is very close to the gun I shot in 2012. Minus 2 parts I didn't feel like doing. 

But if I built it as more than nostalgia I'd get a gen 5.

What 2 parts?  The barrel and recoil spring and rod? 🤣

54 minutes ago, RePete said:

What 2 parts?  The barrel and recoil spring and rod? 🤣

My old match gun had a titanium striker,which I did not replicate. I also had an over travel set screw in the trigger housing I did not replicate. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Gen 3s weren’t as accurate as the 5. The janky slide lock spring could break pretty easily, deadlining the frame. The grip texture was weak sauce. The finger grooves weren’t my favorite but also weren’t deal breakers. But the biggest thing, the ejection sucked because they didn’t have the breach face cutout that started in the Gen 5.

• 1 month later...

If you’re buying new, it’s probably worth the additional money for a Gen 5.  If you already have 1 or Many Gen 3s, I don’t think there is enough of an improvement (my $0.02) to warrant selling them all in favor of their Gen 5 counter parts.  Hell, I recently picked up a BNIB 24.3, and I think it’s great.  They also don’t make a 24.4 or 24.5, so there is that.

The main differences primarily consist of Ambi controls, a better magazine release, the grip + back straps, Marksman Barrel (Gen5), and a flared magazine well.  The latter of which I think it probably the most advantageous of the bunch.  Unless you’re left handed of course, the. The 4 or 5 is probably a game changer for you. 

I had an early gen 5 G34 (identified by no forward slide serrations) and I found that empty cases would strike the optic maybe 50% of the time and would occasionally fall back into the ejection port and cause a malfunction. I tried several things to sort it out to no avail. Then I read about the breach face modification of the current gen 5, which was done to eliminate this issue. I bought a new one and it completely eliminated that problem. Kind of like people complaining about brass to the face from Glocks for the past 30 years or so, the gen5 breach face cut modification appears to finally have solved it. 

I have thought that someone could have a decent business charging $95 to retrofit the breech face cut to pre Gen 5 pistols (technically the breach cut started at the same time forward serrations appeared on Gen 5 pistols). 

3 hours ago, GJM said:

I have thought that someone could have a decent business charging $95 to retrofit the breech face cut to pre Gen 5 pistols (technically the breach cut started at the same time forward serrations appeared on Gen 5 pistols). 

Agree. It made a huge difference and appears to be a simple modification.

I have really gotten an education on this topic in the past year, getting to know the Gen 5 Glocks after shooting a Gen 3 34 forever.

I broke a trigger spring during a stage at the USPSA Western PA jam some time ago and never forgot it! With that frail part out of the picture, I feel that the Glock platform is better off. That, and I am glad that the finger grooves are gone!

On 11/26/2022 at 3:42 PM, Itgma said:

Any real differences I can't notice when shooting in a match environmen at speed. That being said the only reason I prefer the gen5s is I don't like the finger grooves.

My current CO gun is a gen 2 G17.  Replaced mag release with extended release.  Steel recoil system. Brass grip plug. Milled for C-more rts2.  Done. Works great. I love the smooth front strap on the gen 2 guns, and I love the old school dust cover with no rail. I have G19-3 and filed of the finger bumps immediately.  

On 2/9/2023 at 10:09 PM, lawboy said:

My current CO gun is a gen 2 G17.  Replaced mag release with extended release.  Steel recoil system. Brass grip plug. Milled for C-more rts2.  Done. Works great. I love the smooth front strap on the gen 2 guns, and I love the old school dust cover with no rail. I have G19-3 and filed off the finger bumps immediately.  

mind if I ask which brass grip plug your using? The only weighted one I can find for gen 1-3 is the Thug Plug

5 hours ago, CHuynh said:

mind if I ask which brass grip plug your using? The only weighted one I can find for gen 1-3 is the Thug Plug

Try the Carver brass plug, sold seperate but gets used for his magwell.  Highly recommend.

2 minutes ago, vluc said:

Try the Carver brass plug, sold seperate but gets used for his magwell.  Highly recommend.

Thank you!

may seem like a stupid question, but this can be used without the magwell right for CO?

On 2/14/2023 at 3:34 PM, vluc said:

Yes, I have them in my 34.4's,17.3 & 17.5. They weigh in at 1.8 oz or so iirc

Ended up returning the Carver due to it sticking pass the butt of the frame too far.

bought a Taylor freelance Seattle snail that added a bit more weight and was flush. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2022 at 3:10 PM, rowdyb said:

It's been a long time, 2014, since I owned a gen3 Glock. Other than the finger grooves what did we not like about them?

I own a handful of gen5 guns currently but no gen 3 or 4.

Grip was way bigger than I like. Grip texture sucked 

• 10 months later...

For me it’s the finger grooves. I’ve had a hand injury that resulted in my right middle finger being about 1.5x its normal size and the finger grooves just makes it awkward. When the Gen 5s came out, I started buying Glocks again. Way cheaper to mess around with than my HKs…

Gen 2 doesn't have finger grooves, and the stock triggers tend to be fine.

I have about 10,000 rounds through mine. The plastic sights and a trigger return spring are the only casualties, so far.

Edited by perttime

• 3 weeks later...