Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I forget, what did we not like about gen3 guns?

rowdyb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finger grooves, crap texture, tiny mag release, and slide bite are what spring to my mind. Oh and the .40s being wholly unsuitable to that version of the Glock.

The gen 3's do have better triggers than the gen 4s (about on par with the gen 5s).

Edited by Artemas

11 hours ago, aandabooks said:

To me the Gen 3 is the best of the Glock guns.  I must have perfectly average size hands because the finger grooves fit me like it was designed using my hand.

I agree, I always thought the gen3 was by far the best in every way.  The only reason I have switched to Gen5 is because of the ambidextrous slide stop, I’m a lefty, and it makes a huge difference on those few occasions you lose count and run the gun dry. But I much preferred everything else about the gen3. 

Gen 3 grip texture is a bit slick. Mag release is small and has a sharp, pointy edge that bites your thumb. Grip is thicker than a Gen 4 or 5 without back straps. Removal of the fire control unit is a bit more involved than a Gen 5. Doesn’t come with front serrations. Has the old recoil spring design. No MOS option. No “marksman” barrel. No ambi slide lock.

My one Gen 3, a LEO trade in G23 runs great with no issues and I regularly carry it. All of the things I mentioned above are not an issue to me except the sharp edged mag release. 

If I was buying new and had to pick between a new release Gen 3 or a Gen 5, I would pay the extra $50 or so difference and get the Gen 5. 

4 hours ago, Stafford said:

If I was buying new and had to pick between a new release Gen 3 or a Gen 5, I would pay the extra $50 or so difference and get the Gen 5. 

I can’t argue with that, but I would NOT get the MOS version. I’d take the $75 saved by getting the standard slide and put that money towards getting the slide milled for the specific optic I planned to use. 

7 hours ago, Stafford said:

My one Gen 3, a LEO trade in G23 runs great with no issues and I regularly carry it. All of the things I mentioned above are not an issue to me except the sharp edged mag release. 

Easy fix with a nail file or emery board!  Just round them off!

The tiny mag release sticks out way too far and really interferes with my grip. Any time I'd finish shooting a gen 3 I'd have a little raw spot on my support hand palm. That and the crappy, slightly larger grip just makes it less enjoyable to shoot compared to a gen 5 imo. 

25 minutes ago, yigal said:

I had a 2nd generation and the thing I liked the most about it was that I got it for free.😀

Same reason that I like my G34.3 😉 

(ETA: Confession: It really cost me $20 for raffle tickets. It would of cost less but I didn't have any smaller bills when the raffle lady came around)

9 hours ago, robertson said:

Don’t tell Vogel.

😁

From what I understand most of the issues where solvable with some spring changes and very specific ammo. Somewhere on PF is a very long thread from a SME LEO about problems with issuing the G22s and G23s on a large scale.

edit: found the link, page 5 has the post that I was specifically referring to, but the whole thing is interesting if you are into that.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?13852-40-S-amp-W-and-Glocks

Edited by Artemas

• 2 weeks later...

I find that the Gen 3 was the best.  I'm still shooting my 34 in stock condition with only the sights changed to Hi Viz f/o.

Never had slide bite and the finger grooves don't bother me nor do I have any problems with the extended mag release.

A co-worker recently got a steal of a deal on a new Gen 3 17  for $320. After shooting it, he found the grip way too thick for his liking and the texture too slick. He now plans on a grip reduction, finger groove removal and stippling. He’ll now be in it for more than he would have paid for a Gen 5 at regular cost.

On 11/15/2022 at 7:35 AM, sfinney said:

Glock magwell opening sucked til Gen 5. Then they became slightly less so annoying.

The Gen 5 was a huge improvement, but the Gen 3 magwell never bothered me until there was something better available. Same with the front serrations. Strange how that goes...

The only thing that I had issue with was the lack of beavertail and how I would get a cut on my strong side thumb. If only I would have sorted my grip out rather than using a extended beaver tail I would have shot better earlier.

The Gen 3 34 was my first competition gun, but luckily I kept mine. I imagine I always will.