Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Rivals on the way!

TheChef1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Slow250 said:

Found the gun, at https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/712024563/cent+canik+rival-s+9mm+5+chrome+18rd but listed as USED and SOLD?

Surprised that a quick google search didn't yield results, would expect it to be getting a lot of hype. Any idea on price/release date?

Yeah that’s the only place I’ve seen it so far. Seems like kind of just a place holder page until they get more details and the real guns in. 

29 minutes ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

Awesome find! Surprised they let the cat out of the bag this early. Figured they would wait until shot show. Cannot wait to see what weight it comes in at!

im hoping this means it’s coming soon. 

46 minutes ago, bigtimelarry said:

WTF  I'm balls deep with 4 Rivals.. Now I gotta upgrade so soon.. 

yeah I literally just bought my second one. I still shoot my shadow 2s primarily but I’m fascinated by the rival. This steel frame might knock the S2 off the top of the podium.

Interesting!! May be just what I'm looking for. I go back and forth between my Rivals and my Walther SFs on which I like better. I prefer the weight of the steel gun but like the Rival's grip and trigger. Maybe this could be the happy medium.

Edited by Skeet

22 minutes ago, Skeet said:

Interesting!! May be just what I'm looking for. I go back and forth between my Rivals and my Walther SFs on which I like better. I prefer the weight of the steel gun but like what the Rival's grip and trigger. Maybe this could be the happy medium.

I really like the rival especially for the money. But my shadow 2s are more reliable and soak up recoil better with a slightly better trigger in SA but a heavy rival with a freedomsmith trigger may be a very worthy competitor to knock the shadow 2 off. 

7 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

I really like the rival especially for the money. But my shadow 2s are more reliable and soak up recoil better with a slightly better trigger in SA but a heavy rival with a freedomsmith trigger may be a very worthy competitor to knock the shadow 2 off. 

Think that would be a good combo for sure. As far as the reliability, I also agree. My Walthers just run and are not as picky about ammo.  

That hard chrome though............

Edited by Skeet

3 minutes ago, Skeet said:

Think that would be a good combo for sure. As far as the reliability, I also agree. My Walthers just run and are not as picky about ammo.  

That hard chrome though............

Yeah I don’t reload so I shoot only factory ammo. I only recently got my first rival. I bought it for my wife because it had some pretty gold on it and I was hoping she would want to go shoot it more. Turns out I like the gun a lot too because I bought another black one for me that I have not picked up yet. 

I’ve taken it to two matches and both times ended up switching to my shadow 2 because I was getting light primer strikes. First time I forgot my ammo and had to buy some junk at the range. I thought that was the issue because it was some junk ammo. Second time I brought some decent Speer factory ammo and got less light strikes but still had some. Both times my shadow 2 popped everything The rival wouldn’t.

I’m going to switch back to the stock striker spring and see if that helps. I definitely am not giving up on the rival though u still think it’s great. 

3 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

Yeah I don’t reload so I shoot only factory ammo. I only recently got my first rival. I bought it for my wife because it had some pretty gold on it and I was hoping she would want to go shoot it more. Turns out I like the gun a lot too because I bought another black one for me that I have not picked up yet. 

I’ve taken it to two matches and both times ended up switching to my shadow 2 because I was getting light primer strikes. First time I forgot my ammo and had to buy some junk at the range. I thought that was the issue because it was some junk ammo. Second time I brought some decent Speer factory ammo and got less light strikes but still had some. Both times my shadow 2 popped everything The rival wouldn’t.

I’m going to switch back to the stock striker spring and see if that helps. I definitely am not giving up on the rival though u still think it’s great. 

That is primarily what I've been dealing with as well, didn't matter if factory or reloads. I switched back to the factory striker spring and it helped. Also have trouble finding ammo that will feed reliably, factory or other. Everything popped off and fed in the Walther.

I run original TP9SFx's, but really like everything I've heard about the Rival.  Now, with a steel frame, I may have to upgrade.  I've never had any problems at all with my SFx's, complete reliability so far, and there's a lot to be said for that.  I can't think of any reason the steel frame wouldn't be the same.  

1 hour ago, Skeet said:

That is primarily what I've been dealing with as well, didn't matter if factory or reloads. I switched back to the factory striker spring and it helped. Also have trouble finding ammo that will feed reliably, factory or other. Everything popped off and fed in the Walther.

Yeah I’m going to go back to the factory striker spring.

2 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Is it just me or are they not optic ready? I could be blind or its blended really well....lol

Would be dumb if its not.

I thought that too. But they have another skew that comes with the mechanic optic so I imagine it is. I think the photo is just a rendering so maybe they just left that detain out.

4 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

I thought that too. But they have another skew that comes with the mechanic optic so I imagine it is. I think the photo is just a rendering so maybe they just left that detain out.

it better be optic ready. haha! im sure it is.

18 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

it better be optic ready. haha! im sure it is.

Yeah I can’t see canik being that fine def to upgrade the pistol yet downgrade it at the same time. Nils wouldn’t let that happen. 

13 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Are you freaking serious. I just bought my rival after going back and fourth for months on it. 

Good news is they are cheap! Just buy a steel frame as the main gun and keep the other as your backup gun. 

11 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

Interesting!  I didn’t expect Canik to be the next company to put out a steel frame pistol

I did actually. They really seem to be doing a very good job listening to the market/Nils. I have been thinking since I got my rival if it was only heavier it it would be damn near perfect. Just gotta get this light strike thing under control. 

Just now, TheChef1 said:

Good news is they are cheap! Just buy a steel frame as the main gun and keep the other as your backup gun. 

I did actually. They really seem to be doing a very good job listening to the market/Nils. I have been thinking since I got my rival if it was only heavier it it would be damn near perfect. Just gotta get this light strike thing under control. 

It's interesting that they're taking this direction because Canik's value proposition for a long time has been putting out a good optics-ready polymer pistol at a fantastic value.  A "premium" version of the same pistol with a steel grip is kind of outside their wheelhouse.

32 minutes ago, UpYoursPal said:

It's interesting that they're taking this direction because Canik's value proposition for a long time has been putting out a good optics-ready polymer pistol at a fantastic value.  A "premium" version of the same pistol with a steel grip is kind of outside their wheelhouse.

Yeah but they've seen some great success with the Rival in the competitive market. While is not as big as the tactical defense market they should be able to sell A lot of guns to comp shooters both new and seasoned at 800ish for a truly competitive out of the box gun. Think if your shooting a different division primarily but want to try CO or production or even limited this will be a great way to do it without spending a lot and being ready to go without buying anything really. A few springs will really be all thats needed. most of the money spent on rivals before was on the tungsten guide rod and brass backstrap and you probably wont need that now.