Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoulder Surgery

Ok, so let me start off by saying I DO NOT want to ruffle any feathers here and I DO understand there are certain folks that believe one of the c's in PCC stands for Cheater....

So, be me, shooting in PCC division since before it was cool.

Attend weekly USPSA shoots literally for the last 32 years (and counting) starting back when it was just Open and Limited and not even SS had been created yet.

Tear up strong side Shoulder participating in USPPG requiring surgical repair.

Work on figuring out how to be able to continue during recovery.

My RM and MD are onboard with any safe accommodations I can come up with, actually my RM also had shoulder surgery and shot left handed for a while, too...  Let me be clear, I am not trying to game or bend any rules, or extract any unreasonable accommodations, I am just trying to figure out the best way to be able to continue while I recover.  Even if I cant figure a way to make this work, I will still show up to help RO etc.

Option 0: (not an option) Take time off and don't shoot.

Option 1:  I have already purchased a left handed holster and been practicing with it so I ought to be OK for Open, Limited or CO depending on which glock I stick in it.  I still need to figure out reloads, but I have a couple of slide-plates that I can use for safe manipulation using only one hand.  I might just decide to just take penalties or even skip stages that have mandatory reloads, IDK.  

Option 2:  Trying to figure out if I can still run PCC in any way....

So, I normally shoot an AR pattern PCC.  I have practiced shooing it weak hand, and it's not completely terrible while shooting, but manipulation SUCKS trying to use just 1 hand. I basically have to use a strap or hook to snare the CH to pull it back. 

I also have one of those fold up kel-tecs that is accurate enough for indoor matches.  Its actually a little easier to manipulate 1 handed because its lighter and more balanced.  I can also rock an offset red dot, but reloading is still problematic and ULSC is accomplished by the use of hooking the charging handle though a strap tied to my belt.  Alternatively, would breaking the action similar to a break open shotgun suffice for safety purposes after its unloaded?  

On another website, someone suggested buying a bullpup (like a 9mm Tavor or a JARD J67 or J68).  While I am not opposed to buying a new gun, in fact I like the idea of having something new, FINDING and equipping one right now seems problematic )-but of course if anyone knows of a bullpup PCC for sale, feel free to message me 😉)  I suspect I would have the same issues with reloads and ULSC, but hey a new gun is worth it even if I can't use it for this...

One thing that has come up was the possibility of using an arm brace in the manner that it was originally intended (:shocker:).  The SIG brace and any variant is specifically disallowed in the rules, but I believe the INTENT of those rules was just to disallow people trying to mis-use them as shoulder stocks in an attempt to circumvent the SBR rules.  Personally since I don't own a brace or even a pistol to put it on, thats a moot point, but I figured I would mention it.  OTOH, pistol to Carbine conversions ARE specifically allowed, so maybe if I were to buy a glock mag PISTOL or Stripped lower, I could possibly put a brace on it and use my carbine upper - but that would probably run me afoul of the new AFT brace confustication...

IDK how much this helps because I had shoulder surgery in March but it was on my weak side. I ended up taking my Davinci with a side charger and making it an ultra light. Taccom 5.25" barrel with aluminum shroud, and a tube of foam insulation for a hand guard.  I had a Sheel buffer but it was too hard to charge and a bearing went out so I just switched to a new Taccom magnetic buffer which I love. There were times at LAMR I slammed the mag in with my knee. You could easily use a laser and not have to use your strong hand much at all. I still do not have all my strength back yet and my arm gets tired but I'm still shooting a lot.

Good luck!