Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow Systems DR 920

mike4045

Anyone using the DR 290? I have seen a few at a couple at matches. They seem to be ok. I think most of the issues were mag related from using other than oem mags. Planning to shoot more production until the primer situation comes back around. I have a 19, 34 and 35, but the 17 feels the best. A couple of shops have them in stock. Not the ones with the tin coated barrels just std black. Do they use the same sight cuts as regular glocks?

Mike

It's just an overpriced polymer 80. Theres absolutely nothing special about them unless you ask Instagram. A stock Glock with a 50 cent trigger job and some cheap eBay sights is literally three times better. 

4 minutes ago, louu said:

It's just an overpriced polymer 80. Theres absolutely nothing special about them unless you ask Instagram. A stock Glock with a 50 cent trigger job and some cheap eBay sights is literally three times better. 

Cut me deep Louu. My daily carry is a mr920. Lol

5 hours ago, louu said:

I get that. It comes with grip mods I do anyway. They are not much more than a new 17 and come with optic cut. No plate needed if I go that route. 

11 hours ago, louu said:

That depends. If you shoot a std Gen 5 Glock, I would agree with you. But my Glocks all have grip reductions, non-OEM sights, or are milled for low RDS. The SS have grip panels that will give you 1911 grip angle, undercut trigger guard and high beaver tail, suppressor sights, cocking serrations, and are milled for low riding RMR RDS. I would have to pay for a lot of that on a OEM Glock and so, money wise, the SS is a better deal. Gen 5 triggers are waaaay better than SS so if you end up doing trigger stuff on the SS, it might negate any of the other advantages.

The SS pistols are designed to be duty guns, not game guns.

On 11/9/2022 at 5:29 AM, lgh said:

The gen 5 Glocks are great. So, why pay all the extra money, when a Glock, Glock does the very same thing? and you can buy a whole lot of ammo to boot. Just saying buy what makes you happy, I do.

A glock 17 gen5 mos is about $200 than a ss dr920.

If the optic cut isn't that important than a non 17 mos is about $300 cheaper.

A lighter slide and back strap that makes the grip points like a 1911 is what the dr920 offers over the 17 g5 if that's important to you.

Is it worth 200 more to you?

As much as i want one myself I'd rather spend the money on the glock and use money I saved on a timney Alpha trigger and Johnny glocks Alpha vex trigger shoe

On 11/9/2022 at 6:29 AM, lgh said:

The very same could/should be said for the GLOCK.

After all, a steady stat has been that 66-67% of LEO holsters in this country are carrying GLOCK pistols. 

When working as a factory-rep armorer at many matches, I serviced a lot of stock, sorta stock, and highly modified GLOCKs. I've also seen more than a fair share of the breed at USPSA matches. And I can say sincerely that

1) GLOCKs are the Fedex of pistols. To paraphrase, "When it absolutely, positively has to go bang..."

2) The quickest way to stop a GLOCK from absolutely, positively going Bang is to start replacing OEM parts with aftermarket 'improvements'.

There's a huge cottage industry dedicated to proving Gaston's design (or rather, collection of features) can be improved upon. Millions and more are spent each year trying to make a GLOCK into a 1911, or at least a 1911-feeling trigger. Places like The Glock Store exist for this very reason (and no, they are NOT associated with GLOCK, Inc. in the least). Ain't gonna get that out of a GLOCK, not without sacrificing reliability.

It's a GLOCK. Learn to shoot it and motor on. 

12 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

1) GLOCKs are the Fedex of pistols. To paraphrase, "When it absolutely, positively has to go bang..."

2) The quickest way to stop a GLOCK from absolutely, positively going Bang is to start replacing OEM parts with aftermarket 'improvements'.

Absolutely true. I've taken a dozen or so PD classes and get to see what works. When a Glock doesn't work, the instructor's response is always, "What did you do to it?".

The comment on duty guns was meant to make it clear that SS did not try to lighten triggers, change springs, etc. to make a Game Glock. RMR cuts, suppressor sights, and frame mods are pretty common for duty guns. There is a place in Florida that does a lot of it for LEO.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really a glock Guy.  Shot a 34 in CO uspsa for about a year and went to SIG's because I liked the trigger and grip better.

Have a Gen3 17 that I've done trigger work on and the trigger is one of the nicest I've felt, better than the 34 I used in competition.

It's my go bag gun FWIW.

I picked up the SS DR920 Elite changed the grip to the 1911 style and immediately started liking the gun.

Been through three trigger mods none acceptable.   Installed a Timney trigger assy. and now I'm completely stratified with it.

For me a self admitted "not a glock guy" this pistol points and shoots as easily as any handgun I own.

I'm primarily a 1911/2011 guy.

I've shot this enough in drills and practice to know it's a better tool than my other glocks have been.

Overall QC is better, sights are better, accuracy while doing drills and off the bench is better.

It's just a better pistol "FOR ME" than a glock is with a grip reduction , "1911 style", new sights etc etc.

Price wise with the changes I would make with a gen5 I'd be in the same price range with out a solid small magwell and a 1911 grip.

BTW it feeds and shoot well with anything from 130 PF competition loads to NATO loads.

I do have a 15lb recoil spring on the way to try with the competition loads but shooting controlled pair Alpha's at 7  & 15 yds my splits are

averaging .19 to 20 with the SS.  My usual CO gun the average .18 to 19. So w/o a spring that settles the sights quicker I'm very comfortable that it will be in the same ball part as my current skills.

Long post summary this non glock guys likes the SS DR920 elite ! 

Been through a pile of Ghost connectors. Not for me. Thought about a JG put those are pretty pricey. I'm going to drop a Overwatch Precision trigger into my SS. I like all triggers to be +/- the same as my carry triggers and have Overwatch in a few Glocks. I don't really care about real light. Some take up, wall, clean break. Short reset is always nice.

I'll report back for those interested when I put one in. People at Overwatch said they've put them in SS Glocks.

https://overwatchprecision.com/