Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying a new platform for work and competition

RangerTrace

I went from zero Sigs to three Sigs in the last couple weeks, most of which I traded for.  Sometimes I get bored and need something to get me going again.  When I got my new job last year, I ordered a custom P320 from GrayGuns and I finally took delivery of the Modern Classic with AXG grip module last week.  I love it.  It only weighs 29 ounces with the RMR installed and I really like how the AXG grip module feels compared to a polymer grip module.

I also traded for a Legion X-carry and an X-compact.  I zeroed all three pistols at an indoor range, so I was unable to "run" them.  I took all of them to DPC today to re-check zeros and play with the triggers.  I actually like they way the dots index with this platform.  They seem to point more naturally for me.  BUT, the triggers are LONG.  I have no idea how Lockwood shoots his as fast as he does.......

What I also noticed was how far forward the trigger was versus other guns I'd been using. This was a change that was hard fir me ti adjust to subconsciously. I'd heard rumor there would be a steel grip coming from sig.... just a rumor though.

Enjoy the new things

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

What I also noticed was how far forward the trigger was versus other guns I'd been using. This was a change that was hard fir me ti adjust to subconsciously. I'd heard rumor there would be a steel grip coming from sig.... just a rumor though.

Enjoy the new things

Seems easy enough for Sig.  They made the AXG grip module.  Change the CMC machine settings and get to work!!  The weight of the TXG grip module feels like enough weight with my match loads.  The dot presentation before and after recoil was very consistent.  The trigger was just the absolute opposite of 1911.

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Seems easy enough for Sig.  They made the AXG grip module.  Change the CMC machine settings and get to work!!  The weight of the TXG grip module feels like enough weight with my match loads.  The dot presentation before and after recoil was very consistent.  The trigger was just the absolute opposite of 1911.

@RangerTrace

As a LONG TIME 1911/2011 shooter like you, I can honestly say the P320 MAX I sent to The Sig Armorer for his P-Series Action Job with Curve Trigger "feels as close to a 1911 trigger" as any striker fired pistol I ever handled!  Really didn't think it would be possible; but Robert sure knows both platforms well!  

👍

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I'd heard rumor there would be a steel grip coming from sig.... just a rumor though.

Enjoy the new things

I'd buy a steel grip just for the heck of it. Assuming it wasn't priced over the moon...

43 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

As a LONG TIME 1911/2011 shooter like you, I can honestly say the P320 MAX I sent to The Sig Armorer for his P-Series Action Job with Curve Trigger "feels as close to a 1911 trigger" as any striker fired pistol I ever handled!  Really didn't think it would be possible; but Robert sure knows both platforms well!  

Agreed.  Truly some crazy Witchcraft with that trigger.  I have just installed my drop in kit, and its by far the best Striker Fired gun trigger I have ever touched.  The take up is on par with my 2011 Athena, and while the trigger is not as light as the 2011 trigger the stack up is essentially not noticeable at speed and the pull through the trigger while at 3 lbs. feels much lower.  Not sure how that is possible.  I have been searching for a P320 trigger to seem as close to a 2011 trigger as possible, and the Sigs Armorer trigger seems to be the ticket.  The reset is ever so slight longer than the 2011 trigger, but I think this will make switching between the guns as seamless as possible.  I will put it through its paces this winter in off season practice. 

It is worth the investment.  

7 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Agreed.  Truly some crazy Witchcraft with that trigger.  I have just installed my drop in kit, and its by far the best Striker Fired gun trigger I have ever touched.  The take up is on par with my 2011 Athena, and while the trigger is not as light as the 2011 trigger the stack up is essentially not noticeable at speed and the pull through the trigger while at 3 lbs. feels much lower.  Not sure how that is possible.  I have been searching for a P320 trigger to seem as close to a 2011 trigger as possible, and the Sigs Armorer trigger seems to be the ticket.  The reset is ever so slight longer than the 2011 trigger, but I think this will make switching between the guns as seamless as possible.  I will put it through its paces this winter in off season practice. 

It is worth the investment.  

Can you measure the pretravel? 

1 hour ago, fireman1776 said:

Can you measure the pretravel? 

Pre Travel - 2.15 mm

Reset - 3.75 mm

The Stack up before the trigger breaks is almost non-existent.  

I have not actually got to run the gun yet.  Hopefully I get out to the range in the next day or two.   

Shot the Legion X-carry in a local IDPA match tonight and I must confess, that I shot that gun better than my 6K Atlas.  I didn't even notice the long trigger pull and the dot was just waiting for me to pull the trigger time after time.  I think I was only down like 3 seconds.  There is just something about that grip angle and the dot that works for me and my grip.  I've only had the gun for two weeks and shot it twice.  I'm extremely impressed thus far and this will motivate me in the new year to shoot more matches with it......

Hi Trace,

Parallel paths here..... went from 0 Sigs to 3 in about 3 months. My Glocks have dwindled to one very old G19 I can't quite part with.... 

I tried P320s when they first came out (pre X-Five) but struggled getting the trigger like I wanted, and GG or anyone else was not selling parts yet, only full inhouse trigger jobs, so ditched it. 

Now have a CO with full GG kit, and one XCarry basically stock with Legion trigger for carry/home or maybe Prod/IDPA, and a P365 with 12 round mag that is bone stock that I absolutely love (my G43x is gone, which was always a love/hate for me!)

As you said, they just point and index better for me.

Good luck on your journey!

Another similar path here - went from scoffing at the idea of owning a P320, to running one as my main competition pistol and planning to build another. The modularity is what got me; being able to buy an X5 Legion and add another slide that allows me to shoot 3 gun open with ease got me hooked. I've got the trigger worked pretty well, but I think I can still improve it and am considering purchasing the SA kit now that its out. 

I still have moments when I switch back to my Glocks and still prefer the "feel" of the Glock in my hand, but the Glock does not point as naturally as the P320 does for me. And part of me is still a little unsure about the safety and reliability of the P320 (though mine have never given me a reason to think that, its just based on the internet lore), and I still consider my Glock 19X as my "go to war" handgun if it ever came to such a thing. I also prefer the simplicity of the Glock, but that limits its modularity potential compared to the P320. 

I am still running a Glock for CCW, but the 365 is constantly tugging on my wallet, so I imagine that will be a purchase here soon. 

Edited by bulldog009

32 minutes ago, bulldog009 said:

but the 365 is constantly tugging on my wallet,

If you go the P365 route go with the XL version.  It is pretty crazy how much easier I felt the XL was to shoot than the normal P365 was.   I intend to get the XMacro Grip module at some point for my current XL, as the only gripe I have with my P365 XL is the lack of real-estate on the grip for you hands to grab onto and I do not have big hands.  This gives me what I feel would be the best carry gun on the market.  

My P365 base model with the 12 round grip (with finger extension) feels perfect. With the included 10 rounders, its a little less than my hands will fit on. 

And compared to my old 43X its slightly better, and I like the shootability of the Sig better. YRMV.

As far as the internet rumors about 320s going off in holsters, etc.....I talked with the Texas DPS Rangemaster this week and asked him about that.  Keep in mind, DPS has over 4k of those pistols in the field and they have not had any instance of that happening without 'something" pulling the trigger.  tie cords, etc.  So I feel perfectly safe carrying the X-Compact off duty and the GGI on Duty.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 9:33 AM, Boomstick303 said:

I intend to get the XMacro Grip module at some point for my current XL, as the only gripe I have with my P365 XL is the lack of real-estate on the grip for you hands to grab onto and I do not have big hands.  This gives me what I feel would be the best carry gun on the market.  

I had the same issues with my xl. I recently added the Wilson combat grip module and it is a HUGE improvement. Feels like a much bigger gun with plenty of real estate to hold on to. 

14 hours ago, mSNACKS said:

Wilson combat grip module

I have a Wilson Combat grip on my P320 Compact Carry gun.  While I felt it was an upgrade to the old P320 module, I am not a fan of how slick/texture of the plastic they used is.  I prefer the texture of the XMacro grip compared to the Wilson Combat texture.

5 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have a Wilson Combat grip on my P320 Compact Carry gun.  While I felt it was an upgrade to the old P320 module, I am not a fan of how slick/texture of the plastic they used is.  I prefer the texture of the XMacro grip compared to the Wilson Combat texture.

Never handled any of their 320 modules. I wonder if there’s any difference in texture or material between the two. I’d say the 365 module is not slick