Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Screwed Up and Broke My Drill Bit... Can It Be Fixed?

AzShooter

Trying to put a new fiber optic front sight in my S&W 617 I used a #54 drill bit.  It broke after just a short time and didn't go through the sight.  I can't get the bit out.   

Should I just leave it in and use Blue Loctite to hold the bit or try to drill from the other side?  

Should I use a 1/16 drill bit and go from the other side?

LPA Front.jpg

Drill bits are usually VERY hard, which equals "brittle".  If you can tap on the bit with a punch, it will usually shatter and come out in tiny pieces.

The problematic issue may be the small diameter of the bit itself.  Will a tiny punch exert enough force to shatter the bit without really gouging the heck out of the hole itself?

in this case, the advice to drill from the other side and punch/tap the broken bit out is good.

I wanted to let you know when I do the get a drill stuck in a work piece...

I often toss out the part.

I am hoping you pictured the sight in place and

are not trying to drill both at the same time. 

miranda

The issue with drilling broken drill bits out is you will typically enlarge the hole because drill bits are extremely hard.  Maybe use a punch from the backside.  I would take it to a gunsmith and maybe they have tricks for issues like this.  I have yet to be able to use an easy out to get any broken drill bits out.  I have learned how to not break drill bits moving forward, because it usually never ends well in trying to remove them.

In 40 years as a machinist and gunsmith the only thing I've ever seen an ez out do is make a bad situation worse. Replaces a broken hard part with a very hard broken part. Broken drills can be cut out with a carbide e.m. with proper setup. 1/16" is tough. Best to drill from other side till you hit tip of drill then tap out. If not capable stop and take it to someone.

On 11/7/2022 at 10:18 AM, barry said:

In 40 years as a machinist and gunsmith the only thing I've ever seen an ez out do is make a bad situation worse. Replaces a broken hard part with a very hard broken part. Broken drills can be cut out with a carbide e.m. with proper setup. 1/16" is tough. Best to drill from other side till you hit tip of drill then tap out. If not capable stop and take it to someone.

This!!

• 1 month later...