Primers prices

usmc1974

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If nothing gets too crazy over the next year, I can see the price dropping.  Healthy supply of ammo at every retailer in our region that had empty shelves 18 months ago.  Primers on shelves for more than a day, mind you at 0.09 a primer but at least they are on the shelves.  Things seem to be getting better, unless supply chain issues arise, then who knows.  

Some posts in this thread have gone away...

Restricted Content
Politics
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
• Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
• Gun Control Issues

4 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Some posts in this thread have gone away...

Restricted Content
Politics
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
• Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
• Gun Control Issues

I hear there's a lot of content moderators available for hire recently.   Just Kidding!!!   

Thanks for doing the unenviable job of keeping the discussions polite!

Nolan

Factory ammo cost it getting very close to being cheaper than reloading, primers at 10 cents is crazy.   I haven't kept up with the price of Golf but I think shooting may still be the less expensive hobby, and IMHO more fun.  

I object to paying high prices for a primer, so I have been buying factory.  For one. it saves me a lot of reloading time.  Two, it saves the primers I do have for 9mm major loads.

That being said, now that they are down to 10 cents each, reloading minor only costs 20 cents per round  That is 10 cents less than what I am paying for factory.

9 hours ago, zzt said:

I object to paying high prices for a primer, so I have been buying factory.  For one. it saves me a lot of reloading time.  Two, it saves the primers I do have for 9mm major loads.

That being said, now that they are down to 10 cents each, reloading minor only costs 20 cents per round  That is 10 cents less than what I am paying for factory.

agreed, not interested in being price gouged. I have a pretty good stock of loaded ammo and components, Still got a stash of wolf SPP I bought for 13 per k,,, whats sad it wasnt that long ago.

Took up shooting 22, which is going for less than primers now..  No way it costs more to make a primer than a complete 22 LR shell.

I took up trap and skeet.  At least I can get Cheddite 209 shotgun primers for $60 per brick of 1,000 .  

At my local Academy Sports, I am seeing a lot of ammo sitting on the shelf.  I’ll have to head back there tomorrow/Friday to see if this box has moved yet:  

3EAB6797-986C-4D79-829F-055061ADFA2E.jpeg

8 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

I took up trap and skeet.  At least I can get Cheddite 209 shotgun primers for $60 per brick of 1,000 .  

At my local Academy Sports, I am seeing a lot of ammo sitting on the shelf.  I’ll have to head back there tomorrow/Friday to see if this box has moved yet:  

3EAB6797-986C-4D79-829F-055061ADFA2E.jpeg

Wow.  PMC Bronze 223 55gr ammo is going for $425~$450/1000 near me.

On 11/8/2022 at 11:39 AM, CocoBolo said:

Factory ammo cost it getting very close to being cheaper than reloading, primers at 10 cents is crazy.   I haven't kept up with the price of Golf but I think shooting may still be the less expensive hobby, and IMHO more fun.  

Yea, but you can go golfing just about any day of the week.  Not always the case with shooting and competitions are only on weekends.

6 hours ago, zzt said:

Wow.  PMC Bronze 223 55gr ammo is going for $425~$450/1000 near me.

Wellllll….in that case, that makes the Winchester M855 / M193 price even more rapey.  

Quality wise or accuracy wise I would think the PMC Bronze would be the better buy.

supposedly, my local Academy Sports did have primers on the shelf a couple of weeks ago.

Which I am kinda surprised by because they tried putting primers on the shelf during the summer of 2021.  They got shoplifted.  What primers they had left, they kept in the back and you had to ask the counter guy about them.  

I've seen primers at a few places near me. 

As for shooting factory ammo vs my reloads for minor..... all the factory ammo I find that isn't trash can ammo is .40c a round. I've been reloading since the beginning of 2020 and have yet to load 9 minor for more then .30c a round. My average has been .22c a round. 

Current primer prices of $0.09-$0.15 vs the pre-pandemic $0.020-$0.035 might be the new normal for years to come unfortunately. 

Primers availability have had a domino effect on everything. If you can find primers, you still save reloading. 

Reloading vs Manufacturers 

9mm: $0.224 vs $0.310 ($0.076)

38SC: $0.375 vs $0.500 (ELEY) ($0.125)

40 Cal: $0.281 vs $0.466 (Precision Delta) ($0.185)

WOW!  Somebody actually bought that 1,000 round box of Winchester 5.56.  I stopped by my Academy Sports tonight.  It was gone.

(giggle…snicker…snicker).

An interesting thought crossed my mind the other night:  “Who else shoots a bunch of small pistol primers?  Cowboy Action Shooters, that’s who.”

So I went to the SASS wire forum and I found this thread related to primers where this was  in the OP:  

C2C9998E-3997-40FA-BC83-714309288420.thumb.jpeg.f55e4939c5bdfddace38a581e3b05a00.jpeg

A year or two after Sandy Hook, and about a year after I stopped shooting USPSA matches, I found myself sitting on 148,000 plus primers.  All Winchesters.  But I paid maybe $15 to $22 a brick back then.  

I couldn’t imagine sitting on or storing up $30,000 worth of primers.

That’s just nuts.

When companies can buy 1000 rd cases of Brand Name Brass cased Ammo and then ship said 1000 round cases for $279.00 (including shipping) and still be making a profit  - this tells me that the ammo manufacturers, who manufacture their own primers, are taking advantage of reloaders……

Bereli this is a very reputable company. I have purchased 1000 rd cases of ammo from them three times in the past two months and they ship fast and their advertised prices are accurate….

https://www.bereli.com/shooting/ammunition/cci-5200-blazer-brass-9mm-luger-115-gr-full-metal-jacket/

Edited by Sigarmsp226

On 11/13/2022 at 12:37 PM, ranger said:

Acquaintance reported on middle Georgia gun show primer pricing yesterday, November 12, 2022 - $90 per 1000 for small pistol and small rifle. $280 per 1000 for Large Rifle Magnums.

The local grocery store has large rifle magnum primers, but they will only sell you 200 at a time for 10 bucks/100

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

When companies can buy 1000 rd cases of Brand Name Brass cased Ammo and then ship said 1000 round cases for $279.00 (including shipping) and still be making a profit  - this tells me that the ammo manufacturers, who manufacture their own primers, are taking advantage of reloaders……

Bereli this is a very reputable company. I have purchased 1000 rd cases of ammo from them three times in the past two months and they ship fast and their advertised prices are accurate….

https://www.bereli.com/shooting/ammunition/cci-5200-blazer-brass-9mm-luger-115-gr-full-metal-jacket/

Remember when Blazers were the cheapest affordable ammo to shoot? I’ve seen some go for more than WWB and Fed Eagle. Some things are at least showing up and prices seem to be dropping a bit, except for powder. That’s been going up steadily for the last couple of weeks.