Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target transition and acquisition

Murzikrv

Move your eyes before you move the gun. Actually have a spot you're aiming at vs the whole target.

Do dry and live fire drills to show you the relationship that it ISN'T pulling the trigger faster that gets you through arrays of targets, but reducing your transition times.

31 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Move your eyes before you move the gun. Actually have a spot you're aiming at vs the whole target.

Do dry and live fire drills to show you the relationship that it ISN'T pulling the trigger faster that gets you through arrays of targets, but reducing your transition times.

This!

You can save hundredths of a second with faster splits, where a lot of people try to save time. But you can save tenths of a second on transitions. 
After you follow through on your last shot immediately move your eyes to the next target then bring the dot or sights to your eyes. 

What's the visual cue to move your eyes to the next target? Because if you drag your eyes off too late the gun gets there first and then you waste time hunting around; drag your eyes off too soon and you end up with "mystery mikes" because you fired a second shot on a target without looking at it. You move your eyes physically when you see the sights lift on the last required shot for that target. Surprise, once again it is the sights and the targets that tell you what to do.

Do a legit Bill drill for you, 7 yards and 6 shots, all alpha or -0. Do it very close to the edge of your skill level. Phone it in and the time you get is up less value. So if you do a Bill drill in say 2.50 with good hits, make that the par time on your timer.

Then at the same distance set up 3 targets of equal height, each 3' apart edge to edge. So a very El Pres like array of targets.

Now shoot two on each target, so equaling the Bill drill's six shots, in the same time as the Bill drill.

If you did a legit Bill drill you absolutely can not make the times match by pulling the trigger faster. There is just no way. You HAVE to do it in the transitions. And this drill forces you to not only realize it, but then do it.

Like a 3,4,5 right triangle there is some magic math to this distance but don't let that get in your head.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Then at the same distance set up 3 targets of equal height, each 3' apart edge to edge. So a very El Pres like array of targets.

Wish I had space to do it :) Only have access to indoor range. But can take 2 lines if needed :)

On 11/5/2022 at 10:25 PM, Murzikrv said:

Wish I had space to do it :) Only have access to indoor range. But can take 2 lines if needed :)

Use 1/3 size targets and staple/tape them to another , bigger target and practice transitions between them

• 2 months later...

@rowdyb just to clarify this. People can do that El prez like setup in 2.50sec? Because if that's true I suck a LOT more then I thought. My transition at 2 targets 5ft apart currently is about .35sec, splits about .18sec, draw 1.35sec. 

Bill drill is consistent at 2.10 all alphas. 

11 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

@rowdyb just to clarify this. People can do that El prez like setup in 2.50sec? Because if that's true I suck a LOT more then I thought. My transition at 2 targets 5ft apart currently is about .35sec, splits about .18sec, draw 1.35sec. 

Bill drill is consistent at 2.10 all alphas. 

You mean the Blake drill? 3 targets, two shots on each....yes. Goal should be to match your bill trill times and splits. It's obviously harder but it's doable. 

I got a lot out of the cadence drill I shot in a class years ago. I think we were about 5 yards 3 targets a target width or so apart. 

shoot 2 on each with equal splits and transitions, start slow like no brainer i can shoot and transition and hit the letter A speed then each run go faster and faster till failure. the focus is really on the transitions that's why the idea is even cadence the on target split is just there to make you stop the gun on each target. For me the big light bulb was going faster and faster till the hits fell apart, I found that what I thought was the limit was no where near where the hits said it was, also having an instructor standing over your shoulder saying FASTER after every run was helpful