Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris FF4 temporarily losing dot

GOF

I have a Burris FF4, on a .22 rifle and love the big dot for Steel Challenge. But last match the dot started blinking off in the middle of a run. Then it would come back on a half-second later. Trashed scores. I checked the battery compartment cover tightness and it was good. But it kept doing it. Anyone had this problem? There is virtually no recoil on a .22LR rifle, so I can't blame recoil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 8:34 PM, ohsevenflhx said:

change the battery. Mine used to that when the battery got low.

^^^^ this.  All the FFs do that when the battery is low.  New ones don't always come with good batteries.  I buy in bulk and find that 20% of new batteries are already junk.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

^^^^ this.  All the FFs do that when the battery is low.  New ones don't always come with good batteries.  I buy in bulk and find that 20% of new batteries are already junk.

I got fed up with not knowing the state of charge of all my batteries and bought one of these. 
https://www.amazon.com/ZTS-Multi-Battery-Tester-MBT-1/dp/B000FQG1XE

When I bought mine it was $60. But it’s paid for itself over the years. A multi meter will work but this puts a load on them during the test. They have smaller versions too. 

9 hours ago, Farmer said:

I got fed up with not knowing the state of charge of all my batteries and bought one of these. 
https://www.amazon.com/ZTS-Multi-Battery-Tester-MBT-1/dp/B000FQG1XE

When I bought mine it was $60. But it’s paid for itself over the years. A multi meter will work but this puts a load on them during the test. They have smaller versions too. 

Nice tool.  Looks to be more accurate than a multi-meter.

On 11/4/2022 at 2:19 PM, GOF said:

I have a Burris FF4, on a .22 rifle and love the big dot for Steel Challenge. But last match the dot started blinking off in the middle of a run. Then it would come back on a half-second later. Trashed scores. I checked the battery compartment cover tightness and it was good. But it kept doing it. Anyone had this problem? There is virtually no recoil on a .22LR rifle, so I can't blame recoil.

Mine did this, too, on a MkIV 22/45 LITE. You need to return it back to them for warranty service.

12 hours ago, zzt said:

Nice tool.  Looks to be more accurate than a multi-meter.

What I found is on multiple battery items like flashlights, remotes ect there will be one dead battery and the rest are at 80%. The object may work but just not very well. Changing the dead one helps to keep it from puking and ruining your device. Also found that most all batteries are done when they reach 30-40% unless the item their in has very very low draw. 

• 2 weeks later...

Clean the contact and ensure it is maintaining tension.  Swap to a fresh decent full output battery.

Some of the bulk coin cells I've ordered in the past were caca.  Great price, but 1/3 of them were worthless, so not a good deal at all.  

If issue continues, send it back home.