Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Rimfire Revolver chamber help

Petrov

I have an old dan wesson revolver that is in .22 rimfire. The cases always get stuck and the chambers look atrocious. Is there a tool that I can use to clean the chambers up?

Also is there a service manual? My extractor seems to keep coming loose.

Get a Manson .22 Long Rifle chamber reamer. It's the right tool for the job. There are online videos of how to use it. The short version is: Use a tap handle to turn it by hand, do not use any power tools. Use plenty of cutting oil and clean the chips off the reamer often. A toothbrush works well for this. Never turn the reamer backwards. That will dull the reamer and it won't cut well afterwards. Clean all chips and oil out of the chambers before firing. Do not dry fire a rimfire gun. That can put firing pin dings on the edge of the chamber(s), which will make it hard to eject fired (expanded) cases.

Edit to add - There are a lot of S&W .22s that can benefit from this too, as many of them were originally chambered with a worn out, undersize reamer. This has been going on since at least the 1960s. They start out with a new, on size reamer, but run it too long. This results in cylinders with on size chambers, then gradually smaller and smaller chambers as the reamer wears out, until they put in a new one and start over. The size of the chambers on any given gun are just luck of the draw. Thankfully, it's an easy problem to fix.

Edited by Toolguy