Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it worth it anymore?

FlightMurse

I went to our local cabelas yesterday to do my weekly primer/powder scan and much to my surprise, they had primers on the shelf! I was elated until I saw the price… and I am now questioning if it is worth the effort over factory loaded ammo. Cci small pistol primers are 90 bucks a brick, and br4 are 150. This brings 9mm reloads up to over .20 cents per round (using PD 124gr). If this is the new normal for primer prices I might be shooting rimfire for a while. 

C134CC7E-AB63-4BEA-9F17-A11640880FCB.jpeg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kinda comes and goes, but 9mm minor hasnt been worth reloading for years..  I have plenty of components so probably would but if I had to buy primers and powder I pretty much wouldnt bother.. ANd that was back when primers were $40.. Pre covid.
Was gonna help my stepson load,, Looked at 1000 primers $39, Lb powder 22. Bullets 90,  Blazer Brass 115;s were on sale for 89.99 per 500,, SO 30 dollars savings for 1000 rounds ? Yeh not worth my time. Rather save my components.

Seeing 9mm at around 22 per round..  yeh  no way I would reload it for 2 cents a round

7 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

kinda comes and goes, but 9mm minor hasnt been worth reloading for years..  I have plenty of components so probably would but if I had to buy primers and powder I pretty much wouldnt bother.. ANd that was back when primers were $40.. Pre covid.
Was gonna help my stepson load,, Looked at 1000 primers $39, Lb powder 22. Bullets 90,  Blazer Brass 115;s were on sale for 89.99 per 500,, SO 30 dollars savings for 1000 rounds ? Yeh not worth my time. Rather save my components.

Seeing 9mm at around 22 per round..  yeh  no way I would reload it for 2 cents a round

Where are you finding 9 mm for 22 cents around. The cheapest I see it is about 40 bucks a hundred every once in a while $35 a hundred

Well, if you reload it for about 22 cents around or 22 bucks a hundred and you buy it in my area for around $35 to $40 100, I say it's still worth it to reload. Maybe more now than ever

12 minutes ago, RJH said:

Where are you finding 9 mm for 22 cents around. The cheapest I see it is about 40 bucks a hundred every once in a while $35 a hundred

Online there are several places that have decent 9mm target ammo for around $0.22 per round before shipping and tax.

2 minutes ago, Flea said:

Online there are several places that have decent 9mm target ammo for around $0.22 per round before shipping and tax.

That's a good deal, wonder what it works out too after shipping for like a thousand rounds? Tax I have to pay either way so that's a wash

i'm starting to see 9mm at 30 cents/round. but I only pay 6 cents for bullets, so even with 9-10 cent primers I'm WAY ahead reloading. But I also find reloading in moderate quantities to be relaxing and therapeutic.

However I recommend that others stop reloading, and stop buying primers.

2 hours ago, FlightMurse said:

I am now questioning if it is worth the effort over factory loaded ammo.

If you reload to "save money," well frankly you have the wrong motivation and will quickly tire of the whole process.

I'll give a few reasons and maybe others can add more.

1. You want the perfect combo of ammo and gun.
  2. It's hobby in itself.
  3. The equipment is just cool.
  4. There are bragging rights.
  5. It's cheaper than professional therapy.
  6. It fills that obsessive nature.
  7. Red neck rocket science.
Edited by HesedTech

8 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Freedom is 25 before shipping and 30 after. But that's freedom and their stuff is kind of sus. 

If freedom is your example, then you don't have an example LOL

cleaning brass friggin sucks, and picking and culling brass def sucks.  bullets $.10, primers $.10, cleaned brass $.05 you're already at $250/thousand before powder and your free labor.

targetsportsusa has blazer brass 124 for $300/1000 + tax, shipped.  pretty enticing right now.  of course with reloading you can tailor your load which can be a benefit.

i'm sitting on like 10k 124g bullets now so perhaps i'll load them up before looking at factory again.

29 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

If you reload to "save money," well frankly you have the wrong motivation and will quickly tire of the whole process.

2. It's hobby in itself.

Respectfully, I have reloaded for the past 10 years and my main motive was cost savings. It allowed me to shoot at least twice the amount of ammo with the cost savings when you could reload for less than 10 cents per round. In the current market I agree with your points, but I am reluctant to use up my components when I can’t replace them. 

50 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

2. It's hobby in itself.

Yeah, none of that stuff really matters to me. I've been reloading pistol for 10 years now. It's time consuming and hard on the wrist and shoulder when you load in volume. I'm sure I've pulled the handle north of 100k times now. But reloading in the past has allowed me to shoot double what I would buying factory ammo. That's my main motivation, it's nice to be able to load a little softer too but that's not a deal breaker IMO. 

1 hour ago, davsco said:

cleaning brass friggin sucks, and picking and culling brass def sucks.  bullets $.10, primers $.10, cleaned brass $.05 you're already at $250/thousand before powder and your free labor.

you are doing it wrong. i pay nothing for brass, and only 6 cents for bullets. I clean and sort brass while drinking homebrew and watching football, so I enjoy it. Gives me something to do during commercials.

Still, I recommend you buy commercial ammo, leave your brass lying around, and don't buy any primers, for god's sake!

Last week, AIM Surplus had Federal 124gr. FMJ ammo on sale for $13.95/box+tax, no shipping for me as I'm close. I shot Norma 124gr. all last season, and it was perfect at the chrono at all the majors I shot, being as it's a weak factory loading. It has been on sale on and off for $13.95 as well. I'm saving my primers for my open guns. Factory ammo is trending cheaper recently.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

you are doing it wrong. i pay nothing for brass, and only 6 cents for bullets. I clean and sort brass while drinking homebrew and watching football, so I enjoy it. Gives me something to do during commercials.

Still, I recommend you buy commercial ammo, leave your brass lying around, and don't buy any primers, for god's sake!

^^This!