Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Occluded Dot vs Optic Window size - thought exercise

thegeneric

So, I shot a few matches with my SRO taped off to work on being more target focused.

It worked well for me, I could probably leave the optic taped off indefinitely if I wanted.

The SRO has a great large window, but since it's taped off, it's now a big large black silhouette.

Seemed to reason that an optic with a smaller black silhouette (window) would actually provide more "field of view" when shooting more target focused.

*My right eye would have access to more information in regards to the target, so when my brain puts the two together, there's less overall "obstruction"

Taped off one of my carry guns with a Holosun 407k and it seems that my theory might hold some water.

Thoughts? Give it a try if you have a smaller optic available and report back?

Edited by thegeneric

Isn't one of the benefits of a bigger optic window that the dot can appear earlier during transitions, or it's a bit more forgiving in terms of index? If so, that advantage shouldn't disappear even if you are shooting with an occluded dot.

I should add that I rarely shoot with a dot so I could be very wrong about the above.

Edited by Blackstone45

If you presentation is PERFECT every time you would just need a window as big as the dot.  

The bigger the window the more room for error and for finding the dot during recoil and transitions.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a “me” problem and not a gear problem but it’s just a different view point to consider. 

I shot half a match with an occluded dot. It was going great actually. I figured it was my new thing. All until it wasn’t. I lost the dot and had a hell of a time getting it back. Not sure why honestly. I think it had a lot to do with the pressure of the match and a slight “panic”. Thinking crap, how am I going get this dot back. 

not at all saying that covers don’t help, but it needs to be practiced like anything else. 

the smaller vs larger widow and dot may be a thing to consider but I would personally have to improve my indexing a little more. 

Your probably right that you would have more field of view with a physically smaller window but as mentioned it’s less forgiving. The other big trade off with the larger window is, with proper grip and our competition loads the dot should not leave the larger window. With a smaller optic it’s very hard for dot to never leave the window while shooting 

1 hour ago, mSNACKS said:

Your probably right that you would have more field of view with a physically smaller window but as mentioned it’s less forgiving. The other big trade off with the larger window is, with proper grip and our competition loads the dot should not leave the larger window. With a smaller optic it’s very hard for dot to never leave the window while shooting 

I wonder though, does it really matter if the dot leaves the window?

You can't really shoot again until the gun comes back down and and that should only take what? .06 seconds for the gun to cycle. I know it's a thing everyone seems to be concerned with I just wonder if it really matters. I also wonder how many people think their dot doesn't leave the window when really it does. Like will your average C class guy really notice the dot left the window for .01 seconds mid recoil? 

30 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I wonder though, does it really matter if the dot leaves the window?

I agree, big picture it probably doesn’t really matter too much. If a friend lets me shoot their polymer CO setup the dot leaves window more compared to my heavy metal gun. But if I put time on it could probably split it just as fast accurately. I have a bad habit of over confirming my dot so the dot leaving window is probably bigger deal for me than someone else