Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith and Wesson M&P2.0 metal

usmc1974

Just got one and like it fine.   It feels good and the weight is exactly the same as my 5" M&P9 2.0 CORE.  I've been to the range once with it and it worked perfectly but more to come.   The factory trigger pull is better than other stock M&P's I've seen but not as good as my 5" with an Apex sear and striker block. Next is an Apex kit and my Holosun HS507c.  

As noted above I recently bought a new Metal Frame M&P9 2.0.  When I went to install an Apex sear, sear spring and striker block and removed the sear block from the frame and took out the factory sear, under it was just a spring, no plunger.  I called S&W customer service and they had me send the gun back to them for inspection and I just got it back with a note saying it functioned just fine.  When I just took out the sear block, same thing, just a spring under the sear, no plunger.  The spring does seem to be a bit longer than the others I've seen. 

Is this a new design? All of my previous M&P 1.0 and 2.0 pistols had a small plunger over the sear spring but not this one. What's going on?  

20 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

As noted above I recently bought a new Metal Frame M&P9 2.0.  When I went to install an Apex sear, sear spring and striker block and removed the sear block from the frame and took out the factory sear, under it was just a spring, no plunger.  I called S&W customer service and they had me send the gun back to them for inspection and I just got it back with a note saying it functioned just fine.  When I just took out the sear block, same thing, just a spring under the sear, no plunger.  The spring does seem to be a bit longer than the others I've seen. 

Is this a new design? All of my previous M&P 1.0 and 2.0 pistols had a small plunger over the sear spring but not this one. What's going on?  

Wow,  I did not know none of this, but then I just had a nice set of sights/red dot and  bullets. Because I never know which 1 I'm going to use for my concealed carry gun. Accept my custom Glock 35, with 2.5 trigger used for USPSA. keep us updated.

54 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Who knows better how the gun is supposed to be designed and manufactured?

If S&W said it's fine, then it is.

16 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Who knows better how the gun is supposed to be designed and manufactured?

If S&W said it's fine, then it is.

Maybe.  I wonder if they even disassembled it to see.   Yes, it certainly functioned as my range trip confirmed but the change in the sear block was puzzling.

On 11/2/2022 at 4:17 PM, usmc1974 said:

Nobody playing with one? What are your thoughts on It ?

I am surprised they haven't put that frame onto their M&P long slide for a better competition gun. Additionally a metal frame for their 2.0 Compact would be a good competition frame for a CCP pistol in IDPA yes? 

3 hours ago, Zincwarrior said:

I am surprised they haven't put that frame onto their M&P long slide for a better competition gun. Additionally a metal frame for their 2.0 Compact would be a good competition frame for a CCP pistol in IDPA yes? 

I think one is in the works

IMG_20221106_191836.jpg

A follow up on the "missing" sear spring plunger.  I called S&W's customer service again and this time got a most helpful agent.  She actually went back and talked to the gunsmiths and then sent me an explanatory e-mail.   

Apparently S&W has indeed made a change to their sear spring set up for the Metal Frame.  The spring is longer and the plunger dispensed with so the sear now sits directly on the end of the spring.    This redesign also applies to the Shield + 30 Super Carry.   So, this is a feature, not a bug.

I don't know if this new type of sear spring is going to be introduced across the board or limited to these two model guns but if anyone here runs into it, that's the explanation.

BTW, she also told me that the old style spring and plunger arrangement can still be installed in the sear block and I'm going to do that for my Apex sear installation.

I have about 200 rounds through my 2.0 metal and so far no issues. So far a good pistol. But is it noticeably better then the non metal version I don’t think so. I shoot my no metal Version just as good. I also was hoping it would have a noticeable less amount of recoil and I feel like it doesn’t. Not saying it is a bad pistol just not sure yet if it is worth getting over the regular version. 

50 minutes ago, Practicalomaha said:

I have about 200 rounds through my 2.0 metal and so far no issues. So far a good pistol. But is it noticeably better then the non metal version I don’t think so. I shoot my no metal Version just as good. I also was hoping it would have a noticeable less amount of recoil and I feel like it doesn’t. Not saying it is a bad pistol just not sure yet if it is worth getting over the regular version. 

No reason it should.  It weighs exactly the same as as my 5" M&P9 2.0 CORE so it should weigh slightly more than the standard 4.25" guns but not a lot.   Also, metal frame guns generally have a bit more noticable recoil than polymer guns since the polymer frames flex under recoil and reduce the jolt a bit. 

Noticeably better than the polymer guns?  No, not really, just different and an interesting variation for S&W.

That said I like mine and am looking forward to shooting it with the Apex changes. 

Edited by SteelCityShooter

My guess is that if they'd make tungsten palm swells, they'd get the same weight delta as the difference between an aluminum and polymer frame. That said, they're in the business of selling guns, not upgrades.

Metal Frame action update.   I obtained a sear spring plunger and installed it along with an Apex sear spring and sear and the Apex striker block in my Metal Frame.  So far it appears to work just fine.  It improved the trigger pull noticeably and reduced it from 6+ pounds to about 4 pounds.   So, the Apex parts work in these guns.

• 4 months later...
On 11/20/2022 at 12:30 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

Metal Frame action update.   I obtained a sear spring plunger and installed it along with an Apex sear spring and sear and the Apex striker block in my Metal Frame.  So far it appears to work just fine.  It improved the trigger pull noticeably and reduced it from 6+ pounds to about 4 pounds.   So, the Apex parts work in these guns.

I took my apex forward set trigger out of my 5" polymer and it only works in the metal with the stock trigger. With the apex trigger it wont push sear  enough checked before I put the slide on. Works good with all but trigger. I just got a Overwatch precision trigger feels good haven't done any live fire yet. 

48 minutes ago, dtuns said:

I took my apex forward set trigger out of my 5" polymer and it only works in the metal with the stock trigger. With the apex trigger it wont push sear  enough checked before I put the slide on. Works good with all but trigger. I just got a Overwatch precision trigger feels good haven't done any live fire yet. 

The smith and Wesson M&P2.0 metal, has a good trigger to begin with. mine breaks at about 4 1⁄2 -5 lbs, so  unless you shooting bulls eye matches. I don't see the need to change it. This is very quickly becoming my favorite pistol.  I never was a smith and Wesson auto, fan.  loved their revolvers. I shoot mostly USPSA IDPA and 3 gun combat style matches, I guess I am just not that Trigger sensitive.

Edited by usmc1974

6 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

The smith and Wesson M&P2.0 metal, has a good trigger to begin with. mine breaks at about 4 1⁄2 -5 lbs, so  unless you shooting bulls eye matches. I don't see the need to change it. This is very quickly becoming my favorite pistol.  I never was a smith and Wesson auto, fan.  loved their revolvers. I shoot mostly USPSA IDPA and 3 gun combat style matches, I guess I am just not that Trigger sensitive.

All my others have a 3.5# trigger like to keep them all the same.

• 7 months later...

I recently purchased a metal 2.0 Competitor. I have a Docter Optic, but the problem is the rear iron sight blocks access to the adjustment locking screws on the optic. 

I wanted to just remove the rear sight; however, it is also used to hold down the firing pin blocker pin/spring.

Does anyone make a dovetail with no sight for this application?  

Thanks,

2 hours ago, phil plesetz said:

I recently purchased a metal 2.0 Competitor. I have a Docter Optic, but the problem is the rear iron sight blocks access to the adjustment locking screws on the optic. 

I wanted to just remove the rear sight; however, it is also used to hold down the firing pin blocker pin/spring.

Thanks,

You may be able to find a cheap rear sight on the used market that you could shave down. 

20 hours ago, phil plesetz said:

Thanks,

The firing pin block is under the optic not the iron sight so you can remove with out issue. The firing pin block is only under irons on non optic ready models.