Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp cleaning

Cowboy_Ninja

Hah.  25K rounds and there's a lot of crap build up even with exclusively JHP.

Eventually it builds up enough that it starts to impinge on the crown which can't be good for accuracy, and the less volume and more weight aren't positive things in a comp.  Sucks to chip out, but I just suck it up every year or two.

I purchased this Dremel Engraver, and filed down the tip to create a chisel like tip.  It works pretty good.  Its the best thing I have found to remove build up on my GMR comp.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Engraver-3-Piece-1-speed-Corded-Amp-Multipurpose-Rotary-Tool-with-No-Case/999991746?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-ggl-_-LIA_TOL_129_Power-Tools-_-999991746-_-local-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAjwh4ObBhAzEiwAHzZYU8o-W3qMMEsNrMCJKTBIxlRwzTN2d8QaQJwVhIZfq7NuNYmdGyDK5BoCYCUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Boomstick303

2 hours ago, Cowboy_Ninja said:

Me being lazy here, I can be persuaded tho. How much performance does an open gun loose if you don’t ever clean the comp? I figure at some point sure it’s not doing it’s job. How often is it really necessary to clean the comp?

I bead blast mine every winter. Looks like new.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Try 70/30 mixture of peroxide and apple cider vinegar   70%peroxide to 30% vinegar.  Let it soak a few hrs and itll clean right out.   Do it outside or in a well ventilated area.  I clean my comps after every match, they look brand new every time.  

20 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

Try 70/30 mixture of peroxide and apple cider vinegar   70%peroxide to 30% vinegar.  Let it soak a few hrs and itll clean right out.   Do it outside or in a well ventilated area.  I clean my comps after every match, they look brand new every time.  

Further warnings. This is a modification of "The Dip". Be very careful when using this as it results in lead acetate which can contribute to lead poisoning via your skin.

When I had non coated comps, I used the bead blasting method it works great.

I have a DLC coated barrel now and don't want to remove the coating.

I have cupped and rounded the end of a philips head screw driver. A little solvent and some scrapping and it cleans it up good.

8 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Leaded comps?  Shooting bare base jacketed round nose?  I just get crusty powder residue from jhp’s.

This is what I experience frequently after ignoring the comp for a few k. No matter what the powder it seems.

I end up cleaning it with a small bronze brush tool I found at harbor freight and a dash of Hoppes. I may need to use a small metal pick to chip a chunk out or something. 

10 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

I now spray my comps with case lube before shooting and the lead does not foul the comps nearly as bad. And they are way easier to clean afterwards

I've never tried this but can't wait to now.

I soak the ports in Pro-Shot Copper Bore Cleaning Solvent IV then scrape out the loosened powder fouling with a brass dental tool or Chore Boy Scrubber.  I only shoot JHPs too.  Major loads with Power Pistol will clean out what's left (not much!)

CHOREBOY.jpg

Edited by pbcaster45

A spring-loaded center punch -- the push-and-pop type works well to chip out heavy deposits quickly but it will dimple the metal if you get down to that.  Brass chisel tip on a dremel won't hurt steel.

I’ve posted this before, I spray I tiny bit of kroil in my comp after every outing and let it sit till the next time I shoot. It penetrates the crud and the next time I shoot, the muzzle blast blow the crud out.  I clean my guns every thousand rounds or so and use a brass scraper to clean out what little build up I get.  I’ve done this with both jhp and coated bullets, the build up with jhp’s are so minimal that if it wasn’t for my ocd, I wouldn’t touch it, with coated there is some build up but the brass scraper cleans it up