Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 750 with an autodrive? Anyone have one?

Gunsbygiz

I need to buy my first press, wanting an autodrive it’s hard to justify the cost of a apex 7k setup so I have looked at the 750 with autodrive and a few different people have told me that the 750 is not a good option for autodrive. However nobody can give me a real answer as to why.

i’m hoping someone else here already has this set up with a 750/auto Drive that can shed some light on if this is a good purchase. I would much rather spend 4K on this set up and the additional 3K on supplies. But I only want to make the purchase one time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

10 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

They break the indexing rings often. 

A friend had one on a 650. Finally got fed up and upgraded to an 1100 with the mk 7 instead. 

I have heard of this too on the 650 but not the 750…

So there isn’t much difference in price between the 1100 and the apex 10… at that point I feel like I should go all in. 

1 hour ago, Gunsbygiz said:

I need to buy my first press, wanting an autodrive it’s hard to justify the cost of a apex 7k setup so I have looked at the 750 with autodrive and a few different people have told me that the 750 is not a good option for autodrive. However nobody can give me a real answer as to why.

i’m hoping someone else here already has this set up with a 750/auto Drive that can shed some light on if this is a good purchase. I would much rather spend 4K on this set up and the additional 3K on supplies. But I only want to make the purchase one time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a manual 650 and an automated 1100 (Ammobot).

I would not for a moment consider automating a 650/750.

For automation to work you need a very robust machine and the 650 is not the answer.

When you are loading manually you have a number of cues when something goes wrong.

You notice those, almost at a subconscious level, and stop pulling the lever.

When automated, assuming you have no sensors, the machine only stops when you manually stop it or when it senses some sort of over-torque situation such as a bullet falling sideways or a case not centered in the sizing die or whatever.

Even with sensors detecting many scenarios you can still have those which are not detected.

Those stoppages put a tremendous amount of strain on the indexing system of the press.

Even an 1100, as robust as it is, can be negatively affected. A 650/750? Bang, something just broke.

9 minutes ago, ddc said:

I have a manual 650 and an automated 1100 (Ammobot).

I would not for a moment consider automating a 650/750.

For automation to work you need a very robust machine and the 650 is not the answer.

When you are loading manually you have a number of cues when something goes wrong.

You notice those, almost at a subconscious level, and stop pulling the lever.

When automated, assuming you have no sensors, the machine only stops when you manually stop it or when it senses some sort of over-torque situation such as a bullet falling sideways or a case not centered in the sizing die or whatever.

Even with sensors detecting many scenarios you can still have those which are not detected.

Those stoppages put a tremendous amount of strain on the indexing system of the press.

Even an 1100, as robust as it is, can be negatively affected. A 650/750? Bang, something just broke.

Well it’s sounds like I should just go all in and get the apex 10

I know a couple guys that run automated 650's and are happy with them. They said they got really good at replacing the index ring. I'd expect to need to stay on top of the plastic case feeder system too. 

One person here mentioned good results too. But, you can see he's still replaced a lot of small things. I think you'd have to expect to break things on a 650/750. 

31 minutes ago, Gunsbygiz said:

Well it’s sounds like I should just go all in and get the apex 10

I would suggest doing some research on that option.

There are a number of threads on this site detailing the fact that the Mark 7 machines are not without their faults.

4 minutes ago, ddc said:

I would suggest doing some research on that option.

There are a number of threads on this site detailing the fact that the Mark 7 machines are not without their faults.

From what I’m learning they all have some downfall or about.  Side by side the Apex sounds and looked smoother than the 1100.  But that’s all I can go off of because this is all new to me.

23 minutes ago, Gunsbygiz said:

From what I’m learning they all have some downfall or about.  Side by side the Apex sounds and looked smoother than the 1100.  But that’s all I can go off of because this is all new to me.

Yes, every press has it's issues. 

One thing to realize if you are just getting into this for the first time: These presses are not a "set it up and forget it" kind of activity.

They all require a learning curve to get them up and running and a learning curve to keep them running.

You will be tinkering with the press and it's adjustments and it's idiosyncrasies throughout it's lifetime.

Regular maintenance; cleaning and lubrication is a key to minimizing issues.

This is true of whatever press you choose; Dillon, Mk7, doesn't make any difference.

1 minute ago, ddc said:

Yes, every press has it's issues. 

One thing to realize if you are just getting into this for the first time: These presses are not a "set it up and forget it" kind of activity.

They all require a learning curve to get them up and running and a learning curve to keep them running.

You will be tinkering with the press and it's adjustments and it's idiosyncrasies throughout it's lifetime.

Regular maintenance; cleaning and lubrication is a key to minimizing issues.

This is true of whatever press you choose; Dillon, Mk7, doesn't make any difference.

All very good points.  I only want the auto drive because I have shoulder issues… so I’d like to keep it as automated as I can, but still watching every step.

1 hour ago, Gunsbygiz said:

All very good points.  I only want the auto drive because I have shoulder issues… so I’d like to keep it as automated as I can, but still watching every step.

That is one of the reasons I got one. It does take the strain off of the shoulder/elbow no doubt.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 10:29 AM, Gunsbygiz said:

in my opinion and other reloaders I know much more knowledgeable than me, if you are committed to a minimum of an 1100 it is foolish not to go up to apex. For a small amount more I think you get way more machine. The 1100 is not cheap and I’m from the school of buy once cry once so would go all in at that point