Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM for CO

Sarge

I have an XDM 5.25 9mm and a bunch of mags, rig etc. 

I’m thinking of gearing up for CO and wondering if I should convert the 5.25 or buy an OSP. 
I can get a used OSP at Bud’s for $450. 

I shot that setup for a while, using a SpringerPrecision mount, though I am not sure if they are still made or if it fits the latest scopes. My setup was back in 2014 so it’s been a while.

The gun ran better with a lighter recoil spring, something I’ve found in every polymer gun I’ve ever shot.

I would just convert your five and a quarter. I have the OSP and it's fine, but the difference in plate height is pretty minor and I don't think it's worth a few hundred dollars when a plate is 50 bucks. They make the plates in the burris/vortex, hollow sun, or SRO footprint.

If I had a 5 and 1/4 9mm laying around I wouldn't have bought my OSP. I probably would have spent that money on an SRO. 

I don't know if Dawson still makes base pads for the XDM, but if they do that's what I'd get. You'll get 22+1 with the factory follower and 23 + 1 with grams guts. And  the Dawson's are so easy to take off and clean, I don't know why anybody buys anything else 

And I assume you already have it/know about it, but just in case you don't the powder River trigger is pretty nice. Mine is breaking under two and a half pounds at this point

Good luck 

7 hours ago, RJH said:

I would just convert your five and a quarter. I have the OSP and it's fine, but the difference in plate height is pretty minor and I don't think it's worth a few hundred dollars when a plate is 50 bucks. They make the plates in the burris/vortex, hollow sun, or SRO footprint.

If I had a 5 and 1/4 9mm laying around I wouldn't have bought my OSP. I probably would have spent that money on an SRO. 

I don't know if Dawson still makes base pads for the XDM, but if they do that's what I'd get. You'll get 22+1 with the factory follower and 23 + 1 with grams guts. And  the Dawson's are so easy to take off and clean, I don't know why anybody buys anything else 

And I assume you already have it/know about it, but just in case you don't the powder River trigger is pretty nice. Mine is breaking under two and a half pounds at this point

Good luck 

Yeah that powder river trigger was the first thing I did. Huge improvement. Thanks for the advice. Does the RTS2 match one of the available foot prints? I have spares of those on hand

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Yeah that powder river trigger was the first thing I did. Huge improvement. Thanks for the advice. Does the RTS2 match one of the available foot prints? I have spares of those on hand

After some checking the only one I see that matches the RTS 2 is a Toni systems one and it looks like they're about 90 bucks and take a month or more to get because they come out of Italy. I just found that stuff from googling, I have no idea about their products.  Might could call Springer and get one built, but I don't know. 

And if you're buying an osp gun and looking to get a plate from the factory, you might make sure that the factory makes plates for the RTS 2. I don't know that they make them for everything, but they might

Edited by RJH

Got this reply from springer in case somebody wants to try it down the road

Hello Kevin,

We have made and tested the RTS2 and it doesn't pass our durability testing. The optic is to heavy for the mounting solution on the 5.25. The M3 screw that holds the plate down is not strong enough over time.

Sincerely,

Nathan Springer
Customer Service
Springer Precision 

I have an OSP and a 5.25 with the Springer mount. Using a Holosun 507c for both. The Springer mount works excellent, especially since the updated versions use the cross pin from the rear sight to secure the plate to the slide along with the Allen screw. But just to be sure, I also "bedded" my mount with jb weld. It's not going anywhere now. 

Both guns are a great choice. Me personally, I just like the 5.25 better.

• 3 weeks later...