Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Ramp and Mags

noypi916

Hello - just wanted to get your opinion/suggestion on the attached pics. Local gunsmith build the gun and I noticed that the barrel ramp is way off the frame causing it to hit the mag lip (Barrel ramp is Para/Clark).

What is the potential issue/s if I continue to use the gun? I currently having some battery issues, and sometime feeding issues like nose dive. Did the gunsmith mistakenly cut the frame ramp to much? I've looked at all my 1911 & 2011 guns and none have the ramps are way off like that, it's mostly flushed to the frame. Can that be adjusted fix still? TIA!

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

26 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

This is an issue with MBX mags, its a super easy fix just file the lower right hand corner of the ramp so it clears the mag. 

not a big deal to do yourself or have your smith do. 

Hey Mike, mine do this as well. I’ve never heard before that it’s an “issue with MBX mags”. Is there a source for this info or is it just your own observation? I’d like to read up on it if possible

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Hey Mike, mine do this as well. I’ve never heard before that it’s an “issue with MBX mags”. Is there a source for this info or is it just your own observation? I’d like to read up on it if possible

Just range what I have seen, the front of my sti mags is cut enough different to not hit but the MBX do, not a knock on MBX just something to look at when installing barrels. 

3 hours ago, noypi916 said:

Hi Mike - I can file the mag lips, but is the barrel ramp normal to be off the frame like that?

that is not uncommon in my experience, some stick back further than others depending on how all the tolerances add up. 

I have seen guns wit the ramp sticking back like that from builders at the top of the heap and ones I did, once I Figured out it could be a issue I just added that to the list of areas to fit when installing the barrel

22 hours ago, Nolan said:

Which one is cheapest and easiest to replace?  Modify that part.

Nolan

Thanks Nolan! Haven't see you in a while... hope to see you soon in NCPS, TM or RRGC!

Anyway, is that pretty normal to have a barrel ramp extended so much of the frame? I compared it to some of the Limcat's & STI's I have, and all are flushed to the frame. 

LOL!  You should know I don't know about normal....  As long as the gun is reliable, I wouldn't mess with it.  Johnny is just OCD about fit and finish on his guns.  Maybe ask him about it the next time you see him.

I'm hoping to get back to more matches soon, see you then.

Nolan

The bottom edge of the barrel feed ramp is NEVER used for feeding on a gun using the proper OAL ammo. The lowest the tip of the bullet should impact the feed ramp when the ammo is at the correct OAL is half way up. I cut the bottom 1/4 of the barrel feed ramp off to make it flush with the frame when the barrel is in the full down and back position. Doing this will keep the barrel feed ramp from hammering into the leading edge of the magazine and it will also minimize the tip of the next round from getting hammered as well. It will also have ZERO negative impact to feeding reliability if the ammo is the proper OAL.