Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best current deprime/decap die?

I have broken pins on Lee decap dies due to rocks, case-in-a-case, and the odd stainless steel pins.  I’ve seen Redding, FW, and now Dillon have decap dies.  First I had seen of the Dillon.  Anyone with experience/opinions your two cents worth would be appreciated.  I’m using an RL1050 and will start on a 650 soon.

and my search ability is terrible as I got pages of a lot of things but not specifically what I typed in.  My search-foo is not strong, and I would appreciate any suggestions to help that.  

Both the Mighty Armory and FW are excellent and tough but I like the FW the most due to the already mentioned case centering function.

This function proved to be very helpful when decapping cases with a narrow neck like .223R.

Edited by RGA

8 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

I have broken pins on Lee decap dies due to rocks, case-in-a-case, and the odd stainless steel pins.  I’ve seen Redding, FW, and now Dillon have decap dies.  First I had seen of the Dillon.  Anyone with experience/opinions your two cents worth would be appreciated.  I’m using an RL1050 and will start on a 650 soon.

and my search ability is terrible as I got pages of a lot of things but not specifically what I typed in.  My search-foo is not strong, and I would appreciate any suggestions to help that.  

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/decapping-dies/fw-arms-primer-popper-auto-case-centering-decapper-deprimer/

😉

15 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Thanks HOGRIDER.   I should have been more specific on the search function.  I had trouble on BE narrowing the search down to what I was after on the forums.  There is such a wealth of information here.  Your link did make sure I was at the right place to get the FW.  👍

When RollSizer company, who manufactures commercial depriming machines capable of deprimming 3000+ rounds an hour sells their machines with a FW Arms depriming/decapping die with each machine, and it is the same die that FW Arms sells on their website - well that makes my selection easy…..

I have the RollSizer Depriming machine and have deprimed about 48,000 pieces of small primer pistol and rifle brass so far and the die is still functioning as intended and I have only bent/broke one pin and that one was my fault….YRMV

5 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

When RollSizer company, who manufactures commercial depriming machines capable of deprimming 3000+ rounds an hour sells their machines with a FW Arms depriming/decapping die with each machine, and it is the same die that FW Arms sells on their website - well that makes my selection easy…..

I have the RollSizer Depriming machine and have deprimed about 48,000 pieces of small primer pistol and rifle brass so far and the die is still functioning as intended and I have only bent/broke one pin and that one was my fault….YRMV

Good, solid advice!

👍

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/31/2022 at 12:32 AM, 21 shooter said:

I have broken pins on Lee decap dies due to rocks, case-in-a-case, and the odd stainless steel pins.  

On 10/31/2022 at 12:59 AM, HesedTech said:

Lee dies work fine, but the FW with its centering feature and spring loaded pin is the best of all you mention here. Never fails to push the primer out. 

I am also interested in the high end dies, but have also had good results with using these in the Lee dies:

Replacement Decapping pin for Lee 90783 / 90292 die set (squirreldaddy.com) 

It probably depends on what kind of stone, but in my experience the pin wins and the stone loses. 

ETA: They are too big for the Norma flash holes, but the pin just gets pushed up in the collet.  I keep a little flaf of tape on the pin shaft so it is obvious if it moves, then I just tap it back down with a hammer. 

I also use their expander pins instead of just the decap pin when decapping rifle cases, if a neck is bent a little it will round it out.  Typically I am doing this in one of the Lee decap dies, and they are longer and the size die pins are shorter (at least mine are) but the decap dies are cheap and they are easy to cut off shorter.

Edited by mmc45414

Another way to look at this is, how many replacement Lee or Squirrel Daddy pins do you have to buy to equate to a FW Arms decapper? 3 or 4. That’s how I justified it. You know, “cheap is relative to desire”. 

I had considered trying the Squirrel Daddy pins but they were out of stock at the time.  The FW Arms primer popper has been great so far.  The FW die does cost more but when compared to the cost of the RL1050, dies, etc. it’s not a big factor.  I may get some SQ pins for the Lee die as I always like a Plan B.